Today in the Republican States of America

[ 110 ] February 16, 2017 |

(The topic is anti-Semitism, which may be a thing some people would rather not read about right now.)

In Myrtle Beach, S.C., the FBI arrested a white supremacist who may have been planning an attack on a local synagogue.

A man with connections to a white supremacy group was arrested in Myrtle Beach Wednesday after purchasing a gun from an undercover FBI agent, apparently intending to commit an attack “in the spirit of Dylann Roof.”

[…]

On December 26, 2016, McDowell posted to Facebook a message: “I love love to act what u think,” followed by a link to the Temple Emanu-El Conservative Synagogue in Myrtle Beach, according to court documents. Horry County Police indicated to the FBI that McDowell had established White Supremacy Extremist connections while serving in prison in South Carolina for various criminal offenses. He also had tattoos indicating an affiliation with these groups.

According to the federal complaint document, on January 5, 2017, McDowell posted to Facebook an anti-semetic screed referencing Dylann Roof, which included the statement: “they should be Feasting on the enemy that stole their Heritage and their bloodline and trying to run us off of this Earth you can post pictures of f****** Viking and swords all the s*** you want to post if you ain’t got the heart to fight for Yahweh like dylann roof did you need to shut the f*** up…”

In Washington, D.C. the rogue cheddar told an Orthodox reporter from a Jewish magazine to sit down and called him a liar after the reporter asked about the increase in anti-Semitic hate crimes.

“What we are concerned about, and what we haven’t really heard being addressed, is an uptick in anti-Semitism and how the government is planning to take care of it,” Turx said.

As Turx continued, Trump interrupted, “See, he said he was going to ask a very simple, easy question, and it’s not.”

The reporter said, “It’s an important one.”

“Not a simple question. Not a fair question. OK, sit down. I understand the rest of your question,” Trump said. “So here’s the story folks. No. 1, I am the least anti-Semitic person that you’ve ever seen in your entire life. No. 2, racism. The least racist person. In fact, we did very well relative to other people running as a Republican.”

Any question more difficult than Are you a great president or the greatest president? is UNFAIR.

Turx raised his hand again and spoke up.

“Quiet, quiet, quiet,” Trump replied. “See he lied about — he was going to get up and ask a very straight, simple question. So, you know, welcome to the world of the media.”

[…]

“But let me just tell you something: I hate the charge. I find it repulsive. I hate even the question because people that know me — and you heard the Prime Minister, you heard Benjamin Netanyahu, did you hear him, Bibi? He said, ‘I’ve known Donald Trump for a long time,’ and then he said, ‘Forget it.’ So you should take that instead of having to get up and ask a very insulting question like that.”

This is an example of the “lot of love” the jaundiced orangeutan said we’re going to see?

I can’t read minds. If I could, I wouldn’t peek at the rotten fruit and cockroaches tRump has stuffed between his ears on a bet. However, I can read his response to Turx and compare it to his response to other reporters who ask him about anti-Semitism and connect, as they say, the two yuge dots.

Later on in the press conference, another reporter said, “I’ll follow up on my colleague’s question about anti-Semitism. It’s not about your personality or your beliefs. We’re talking about a rise in anti-Semitism around the country. Some of it by supporters in your name. What can you do to deter that?”

Trump said, “Some of it is written by our opponents. You do know that? Do you understand that? You don’t think anybody would do a thing like that?”

He went on to insist anti-Semitism was coming from his political opponents, who were doing it to generate anger: “Some of the signs you’ll see are not put up by the people that love or live Donald Trump.

Still gibberish, but because white supremacy’s greatest spokesmodel didn’t go after the reporter, I don’t fear for the reporter’s safety.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

1. jim, some guy in iowa says:

“the people who love or live Donald Trump”

2. Ahenobarbus says:

I’d point to the Turx exchange as evidence that Donald is dumb. I mean, even if you believe bashing the press is good politics, this was not the guy to attack.

Or maybe he’s clever enough to know his supporters, the conservative media and the elected GOP establishment won’t care.

• e.a.foster says:

he was smart, he told the Jew to sit down and shut up. They don’t belong in the U.S.A. either. everyone knows they control the banking world and that is why they are unemployed. Well that is the line you frequently hear so if Trump was appealing to his base, he did the right thing, however horrible it was. OMG that man is sick.

• Snuff curry says:

Particularly dumb because Jake Turx is demonstrably on Trump’s side and not the side of HRC-Voters-Who-Are-the-Real-Racists.

Trump, who wants you to Feel His Love, pulls this pre-emptive dogwhistle bullshit on every single person of color he meets. Latino nominee shares surname but is unrelated to Fake Media Journalist? They must be related, ho ho ho. Black reporter asks him questions about anti-black racism? She must know all those blahs from the Congressional Black Caucus.

• Cheap Wino says:

#StupidestPresidentEver

3. Tom in BK says:

I just watched that whole presser, and I’m just… I dunno. Gobsmacked? If there were ever a time in my life where that word felt appropriate, I guess this would be it.

4. JBC31187 says:

What a fucking baby this man is. Any half-competent would-be dictator could spit out a few platitudes, and the American media would be satisfied. But not Trump. I look at his dumpster fire of a regime, and I don’t know whether to laugh or cry out how he’s gotten so far.

5. ΧΤΠΔ says:

$40 says he doesn’t make it to 2018, and an extra $10 on top of that he doesn’t make it to 1/20.

Your bets on whether he leaves via window, handcuffs, four-point restraint or pine box.

• JBC31187 says:

I think he might just rage-quit, but then I remember that Trump is a spiteful little thing.

• Crusty says:

I imagine him doing a Costanza where he rage quits at a presser one day and then comes back the next day like it never happened.

• vic rattlehead says:

He seems so goddamn credulous, especially when people flatter him. One of you needs to get a job in the White House and gain his trust (“oh wow sir, what big masculine hands you have…”)

And then one day he has another disastrous press conference and he turns to you. He’s so fed up he wants to quit but that would make him a loser, and you suggest hey well there’s a little known clause in the constitution. You can officially resign and then take it back if you change your mind within 72 hours. So just resign as a test run and you can totally change your mind.

And maybe he’s gullible enough to believe this without even running it past a lawyer. And then takes a long weekend and tries to come back to the White House and is surprised when President Pence won’t let him in.

• Breadbaker says:

This is a man who believes that he had the highest electoral vote total since Reagan because someone allegedly told him so. His ten year old son could show him that this is wrong, but he won’t even ask Barron.

• Chetsky says:

Unh-unh. I think you’re going at this the wrong way around. For a salesguy (yes, == “grifter”) like Trump (and that’s all he’s ever been good at — selling, which is different from negotiating, or delivering), believing wholly unrealistic b.s. is PART of the JOB. It’s part of being an excellent, excellent grifter.

So when we deride him for believing utterly unrealistic b.s., saying he’s stupid, or credulous, I think that’s wrong. He’s not being credulous, but rather, he’s shaping his mind so that he can continue with the sales pitch.

The right place to stand is “these are lies, and he’s a bullshit artist, and when he says he’s just repeating what he’s been told, he is, again, lying”.

He is a liar thru and thru. Indeed, we should grant him the dignity of believing that everything he says, he means, and is serious about. No dementia, no idiocy, no being misled. He means it all. Every last thing.

• JBC31187 says:

Oh, god. Trump just fucks off to his golf course or whatever for a month, then comes back and tries to kick Pence out of the Oval Office.

• sigaba says:

I’ve been toying around with the idea that Bannon and Jared would somehow put together a “regency” a la George III but I just don’t think that would address the fundamental issues, they’re probably just as useless to Congress and the bureaucracy as Trump, just in different ways.

Military coup, or military administrative usurpation, in the style of Hindenburg-Ludendorff, still seems more likely, particularly if there’s a shooting war.

• corporatecake says:

My money is on “retreats to golf and rallies while Bannon and Pence run the government.”

• LosGatosCA says:

He’s had plenty of practice as the absentee landlord, I’m sure.

‘Just forward the checks to Palm Beach. Let me know if I ever have to push the button. I’m going to play out my retirement on the golf course and drunk dial world leaders whenever I feel like it.

Ivanka’s in charge – she has my power of attorney and free run of the White House. If people need my signature she can do it, I can’t even tell when I’m looking at a Trump Co contract whether I signed it or she did.’

• Chetsky says:

He could try, but it wouldn’t work. The man would literally have to never leave his compound, and never turn on the news, to avoid the enormous protests. And we all know what happens when he thinks people don’t like him ….

No way he slinks away.

• thankmelater says:

I thought this too, but the presser yesterday proved me wrong. He can’t stay out of the light and stop “defending” himself. There is no way he would let anyone else be in charge. He either steps down under some strange pretense (unlikely), gets removed, or is re-elected. My money is that he is removed soon, so Pence has a chance to serve his full 2 1/2 terms.

• JKTH says:

You can put that $40 into PredictIt and end up with $160 if he doesn’t last. I…would take the other side of that bet.

• Gregor Sansa says:

Or you could hedge it, by also betting that they’ll use the nuclear option for the supreme court. Two bets, both well under 50 cents, and the only way you could possibly lose on both at once is if Trump holds it together enough to stay in office, but not enough to get the Senate to confirm Gorsuch. Or if there wasn’t even a try for a filibuster, which wouldn’t happen unless the Dems were total chic… oh, shoot.

• LosGatosCA says:

Stroking out is the way it ends early.

• DrDick says:

At this point, my money is on spontaneous combustion.

• e.a.foster says:

O.K. in British Columbia, Canada some of us are betting he doesn’t make it 6 months. Looses it. my bet says he looses it, his daughter has him moved to a hospital where it will be announced he has had a serious heart attack and resigns for health reasons.

In the mean time we will see a repeat of when Regan was shot and the General said he was in charge, ya right. So the fight will be Bannon trying to take control and Mike Pence having to phone the door man to have Bannon taken out in a 4 point restraint.

• efgoldman says:

Might almost be worth it just to see that.
        I bet he’d really, literally be frothing at the mouth, too.

• vic rattlehead says:

Frothing at the mouth. I’m surprised he hasn’t yet. I really am. I think Trump could bark and growl and awwoooooooooooooooo and shake his head rapidly back and forth frothing at the mouth and…he would still have surrogates defending him, the lyin liberal media hated his canine performance art designed as a commentary on uh the state of political discourse in this country.

• Juicy_Joel says:

Yep.There is no bridge to far in the alt-right’s (or whatever you want to call it) fealty and adulation to trump.

• sigaba says:

How long did Rob Ford last again? It was like two terms, right? I mean did eventually kill him. Eventually.

• witlesschum says:

Wishful thinking, I fear. Trump has been a tick on America’s groin all his life and I don’t see him relaxing his mouth parts now.

• Origami Isopod says:

Dolt 45 would never be buried in a pine box. It’ll be a YUUUGE custom casket that costs at least six figures, even if the “gilding” is actually the cheapest of gold plate and the “silk” lining is polyester.

• Tehanu says:

My bet would be on a stroke. He doesn’t look healthy and the constant need to reassure himself, especially now that he’s getting criticism and opposition instead of every knee bowing (h/t Omarosa, that twerpette) must have his blood pressure in the 200’s. If he’s still seeing the quack who announced what great shape he’s in, it’ll happen sooner rather than later — and we should do everything we can to encourage his continued ministrations to Il Douche.

6. e.a.foster says:

OMG, I saw that show, all 75 minutes of it. It was PVRed by mistake, but like watching a train wreck, watched it. too bad the train wreck is the U.S.A. and we live just north of it.

of course Trump didn’t want to acknowledge anti-Semitism. Once you acknowledge something, you have to deal with it, or most people expect you to deal with a big problem. Trump’s treatment of all the press was inappropriate, amateurish. On 3 separate occasions it was clear to me he was so stressed he either misprounced a word, his mouth didn’t function as it should, etc. there is something wrong with Trump.

Some have attributed this “news conference” as a method of “getting in touch with his base”. No, reminds me of the Premier of British Columbia, Canada. Its deflect, deflect, deflect. Trump wanted to deflect from the General not wanting to accept the job and the bigger event, the march today in support of immigrants and un documented workers. that march would have had much more press coverage if not for Trump’s rant. First he took up 75 min. of air time and then news stations “reviewed and commented” for hours. Mission accomplished, not much air time to the march.

• vic rattlehead says:

I think he really was stupid enough to not realize that being an entertainer and covered largely as such and largely by entertainment journalists was a completely different ballgame. A reality show star goes on an unhinged rant and it’s hilarious. There are no stakes. No lives at risk Just more exposure. The president…

• vic rattlehead says:

And I should add, he certainly didn’t learn this lesson during the campaign. It even helped him. But now he has to reckon with the fact that even as craven as our media can be, the White House press corps isn’t Access fucking Hollywood.

• LosGatosCA says:

When your role models are George W Bush, Sarah Palin, Dan Quayle, Ronald Reagan and the only people with gravitas were Dick Nixon and Dick Cheney . . . . .

mixed in with Howard Stern’s entertainment style . . . .

This is what you get.

He’s Frankenstein’s monster – Quayle’s brain, Reagan’s evolving brain damage, Palin’s non-sense of the absurd, Bush II’s language skills, Nixon’s paranoia, and Cheney’s dedication to truth plus an overall heightened sense of racism and misogyny that sets a new Republican standard.

• LosGatosCA says:

the White House press corps isn’t Access fucking Hollywood.

You must admit, it’s a pretty close call.

Certainly Access Hollywood would be doing just as good a job if the ‘deep state’ was spoon feeding them this way.

7. DrDick says:

The Tangerine Turd is self destructing before our eyes!

• vic rattlehead says:

I must’ve said that to myself three dozen times over the past…good lord it’s been nearly two years since he announced his candidacy. The anal cyst in chief is a fucking political cockroach as long as he’s a member of a party full of invertebrates. And his moron supporters aren’t watching pressers, they’re reading about this filtered through batshit insane right wing pseudo news sources.

• LosGatosCA says:

they’d prefer it if he would give his speeches in Latin, pig latin if necessary.

Blind obedience in the cult is easier when your shielded from processing any of the words yourself.

• witlesschum says:

He’s not though!

He’s just always been like this and the people who voted for him in the primaries liked it. I don’t think they’ll change their minds, either.

8. Crusty says:

I’m really wondering how this played with his supporters. For the first week or so I thought sure, he’s a disaster to us, but to his supporters its mission accomplished. But this…this did not look good. This did not look like a man in control. This was a man baby losing it. His supporters are stupid, but they can’t be that stupid. And isn’t that what they want- tough, strongman Trump? This was trump ranting like a dope for a third, complaining like a baby for a third and then trying out his borscht belt nightclub act for the remainder.

9. AMK says:

I guess it’s good news that the FBI still seems to be running sting operations against street-level, imminently violent white supremacists?

10. LosGatosCA says:

Trump is laboring under the handicap of no brother to help him out, like Rob Ford did.

Still, he’s definitely vying for the record of the most ridiculous politician actually elected to a serious political office.

Which of course everyone who didn’t vote for him knew decades ago.

11. veleda_k says:

Oh my god, what a fucking whiner. “The mean reporter asked me a hard question! Wah!”

• Breadbaker says:

Is there another elected official in America who wouldn’t have, unprompted, said simply, “if there are anti-Semitic incidents, I condemn them unreservedly and am sure the appropriate law enforcement officials know I want them investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law”?

12. cpinva says:

you’d think, for someone self-proclaimed as a really, really smart guy, that he’d know it was a jew who helped get the revolution the financial support needed to continue prosecuting the fighting. Haym Solomon (even has his own postage stamp) came through with cash, when others couldn’t or wouldn’t. you can have all the soldiers you want, but if you can’t pay them, or provide the needed guns/ammo/material & supplies they need to wage war, all you have are a bunch of guys standing around twiddling their thumbs, wondering why the hell they’re there.

I doubt Mr. Trump is aware of this. dumbass.

• Crusty says:

What on earth does this have to do with anything?

• JL says:

Why do you think this is relevant?

It’s not like he doesn’t like individual Jews, or value their contributions to his nonsense. He seems to like Jared and Ivanka just fine. He seems to like Stephen Miller just fine. But, you know, Richard Spencer, neo-Nazi, also likes Stephen Miller just fine.

And it’s not as though there aren’t plenty of rich right-wing Christians who donated to him.

• Sure, it’s just that confronted with a visually distinctive Jew, as obviously a non-Jew himself, he feels compelled to publicly enact the reflex impulses of the lowest of pepes.

I keep thinking of the dudes at the Boston Holocaust Memorial who basically said “get out of our way old man” to my 60-something dad, and then proceeded to solemnly examine the exhibit.

13. Adam Roberts says:

He knows exactly what he is doing. He knows there are three audiences. One is his base, who love to see the uppity elite Jewish college-educated never-done-a-proper-job media getting a very public dressing-down, getting yelled at and humiliated. That’s caviare to them. Two is people like me, and the people on this thread, and Trump’s aim where we are concerned is precisely to piss us off. Job done, it seems, reading this. He’s never going to win us over, and he prefers us, strategically, incandescent with fury than anything else. The third are the moderate Repubs and undecideds and various other folk. Trump’s amateur hour doubtless alienates a lot of them, but his approval ratings are still 80+ amongst self-identified Republicans, so it doesn’t seem to be alienating them too badly. So the trifecta is: win, win, no major losses. Given that, why would he stop doing what he’s doing?

• so-in-so says:

Somebody else noted, people who are alienated by Orangemandias tend stop identifying as “Republican”, so his approval will go UP with a much smaller base over time.

Also, the RW has been incandescent with rage for decades, it’s their winning card. Making us mad enough may backfire come election time.

But, yes, the GOP is the Cleek’s Law cult, they’ll do stuff just to watch liberals get made.

• efgoldman says:

He knows exactly what he’s doing.

No, he doesn’t. He has no plan, he has no strategy, except grifting and making money. Chetsky’s comment above has it exactly right.
      He is all narcissistic id. He’s never been told no in his life. He’s never learned anything (whether he could have or has a learning disability is unknown). He came into the White House without even knowing how laws get made, what the three branches of government are; I doubt he’s ever even read the constitution, or had a middle-school civics class – and he hired people as stubbornly uninformed as he is. He is not a political genius or savant – in fact he’s not even particularly good at his actual job as “billionaire real estate developer.” Every single thing that needed to happen to elect him by 77k votes in three counties, broke his way.
      We have to take him seriously because he is, for better or worse, the president*. We don’t have to fear or respect him. He is self-destructing in front of our eyes.

• Brad Nailer says:

Right wingers will be whining at us until the man is gone that lefties “need to get over it, we won,” etc. They don’t get it: We have gotten over it. We are not, like them and their Manhattan Mussolini, in dispute over the electoral facts on the ground. This doesn’t mean we’re just going to go on with our lives and not protest everything Trump does beyond taking breath, which in itself is reason for decent people to be upset.

• Tehanu says:

I agree with everything you said except about fearing him. I fear the damage he can do as he flails wildly around. The country has given an unstable toddler a machine gun and his supporters are happy because they think he’ll use it to kill the 20th century. Why they think that’s a good thing — why they think they won’t be starving in a gutter once the entire modern structure of society collapses — would baffle me if I didn’t know that they’re mostly just as ignorant of history and as selfish and greedy as he is.

• witlesschum says:

Trump comes off to me as a deeply stupid man who has one strong and abiding talent, which is the consist ability to play on the worst impulses of people though the media. The fact that our society is one where his combination of self-assured, dumb-ass narcissism and attempted alpha dog bullying is rewarded is a problem we ought to get on fixing at some point, but it’s where we are right now.

Trump’s talent for connecting with audiences certainly exists, but it isn’t in calculating things, it’s in just being himself consistently and with zero shame. It’s something he just does.

14. charluckles says:

That’s a softball question designed to let him reassure conservative Jews and he botched it completely.

• CP says:

Exactly! That’s what blew my mind about that question – it was just begging for him to go on a rant about how “well clearly, this antisemitism must all be the fault of Radical Muslims, and what I’m going to do about it is I’m going to crack down hard on all those bad antisemetic Radical Muslims, if only the unfair biased courts would let me!”

And he’s such a navel-gazing, it’s-all-about-me idiot that he couldn’t even figure that out, and treated it as a personal attack even after the reporter went out of his fucking way to explain that it was anything but.

15. witlesschum says:

As far as the actual antisemitic murder plot goes, it sounds like it was fairly well-developed based on the info in the linked story.

It’s always smart to be skeptical when law enforcement helps and encourages someone toward committing a crime and then charges them with it, but this one seems more solid than some. Guy expressed his desire to commit antisemitic terrorism on Facebook (because of course he did), then met with what he thought was “someone who solves problems for the Aryan Nation,” told that person (who was actually a fed) about how he wanted to attack the synagogue but not get caught, asked him to get him a gun, received the gun and ammo from him (the feds had made the firing pin inoperable, it says) and then was arrested the guy with the gun and ammo.

At least per the information being released at this point, that seems much more substantial than some of the FBIs greatest hits from the bad old ties with supposed Muslim terrorists. It’s always a question as to whether this guy would have been able to come up with a gun without the feds helping, but as someone with a criminal record, he probably knew people who could get him a gun. This seems like an actual terrorist attack averted, which yikes.

• tomstickler says:

What jumped out at me — indicating perhaps eagerness on the part of the FBI undercover — was selling the suspect a .40 Glock and ammo for $109.

That’s likely to be the Achilles Heel for this case.