Scaife

[ 59 ] July 4, 2014 |

Hope you all aren’t too torn up by the demise of Richard Mellon Scaife. Hard to lose such a good and kindly citizen.

Also:

1. DrDick says:

I smiled a little when I saw that, though I was somewhat saddened that it took so long.

2. N__B says:

A single tear is running my cheek.

3. fka AWS says:

how soon can we piss on his grave?

4. Darek says:

Good riddance. An asshole who came from extreme privilege and spent his fortune trying to keep millions in poverty.

5. MAJeff says:

I’m sure the rats will happy he’s no longer fucking them.

6. Sly says:

My favorite Tale of Scaife is from Karen Rothmyer:

Richard Scaife rarely speaks to the press. After several unsuccessful efforts to obtain an interview, this reporter decided to make one last attempt in Boston, where Scaife was scheduled to attend the annual meeting of the First Boston Corporation.

Scaife, a company director, did not show up while the meeting was in progress. Reached eventually by telephone as he dined with the other directors at the exclusive Union Club, he hung up the moment he heard the caller’s name. A few minutes later he appeared at the top of the Club steps. At the bottom of the stairs, the following exchange occurred:

“Mr. Scaife, could you explain why you give so much money to the New Right?”
    “You fucking Communist cunt, get out of here.”

Well. The rest of the five-minute interview was conducted at a rapid trot down Park Street, during which Scaife tried to hail a taxi. Scaife volunteered two statements of opinion regarding his questioner’s personal appearance—he said she was ugly and that her teeth were “terrible”—and also made the comment that she was engaged in “hatchet journalism.” His questioner thanked Scaife for his time.

“Don’t look behind you,” Scaife offered by way of a good-bye.

7. DocAmazing says:

Almost makes me wish I believed in hell.

8. efgoldman says:

I hope he suffered, a lot, and that he found out that being an insufferable selfish rich asshole is no palliation for pain.

Also too, I glanced at the post and thought I saw “Scalia.” Was about to start my “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead” happy dance.

9. bspencer says:

It’s aways sad when the bad die old.

10. bspencer says:

Scolding troll shows up in 3…2…

11. Marek says:

One should only speak good of the dead.

He’s dead. Good.

12. TBP says:

The opening reads “Richard Mellon Scaife, the Pittsburgh philanthropist and reclusive heir to the Mellon banking fortune,”

but the article doesn’t list any actual philanthropy. As far as I can tell, he only gave to causes from which he stood to benefit, at least potentially.

13. Karen says:

What a complete waste of oxygen. A drunk ne’er do well who spent boxcars of cash on ruining the country that provided him with royalty levels of privilege. As my grandmother used to say, good riddance to bad rubbish.

14. DrS says:

How are his heirs? They take after dear old dad?

15. AndrewJ says:

To paraphrase Mark Twain, I couldn’t attend Scaife’s funeral, but I sent a note saying I approved of it.

16. Sharon says:

I am not saddened one whit by the passing of R.M. Scaife.

17. jon says:

Justice delayed is justice denied. This news is deeply insufficient.

18. Sev says:

Richard Mellon Scaife died on July 4, 2014. His last words were, “William Jefferson Clinton lives.”

So, FAIL?

19. Mr. Upright says:

Today, Scaife made his one great contribution to a grateful nation. Sadly, it was over two decades too late.

20. MacK says:

I met him once at the bar in my club – he had been brought there by a twerpy somewhat rightwing lobbyist who later moved from Scaife to a full on neo-fascist patron – the twerp was later kicked out for showing up with this new patron as a guest – accompanied by some skinhead bodyguards – but I digress. What was striking was the way a horde of Republican types queued up to kiss Scaife’s ring and grovel agreeably to his brilliant comments, then when he went to the bathroom change tone to describing him as a boob.

I spoke to him for a few minutes,though my politics are well known – he was not very bright, but opinionated.

21. J R in WV says:

What a despicable lout this morun was! Money can’t improve on tripe for brains in any way. Look at his personal relationships, divorced every woman he ever married. I imagine he didn’t get many father’s day cards, either.

It will be interesting to see if his kids get any loot, or if he gave it all to the Heritage Foundation!