Game of Thrones, only anime

[ 24 ] March 25, 2013 |

I haven’t shared a student’s RIP project in a while, so I feel I should remind you of what they are:

The final assignment of my visual rhetoric course is called Rhetoric in Practice (or RIP). It has two components. To paraphrase the rubric: the students create their own rhetorical performance, explore questions of how to target an audience, follow the conventions of a genre, choose the medium for their message, and all the while, use the critical tools they’ve been learning all quarter to develop their ideas. They then perform a rhetorical analysis of their own work via a detailed writer’s memo.

The pedagogical theory behind this is sound: by forcing them to do something fun at the end of the quarter, I get better evaluations the tools I taught them over the course of it become more solidly ensconced in their brain-space. Only this time, instead of deducing the rhetorical intent behind someone else’s decisions, they must decide how to communicate their message to their target audience most effectively.

One of the highlights of this quarter was a remake of the Game of Thrones opening credit sequence, only intended for an audience of the sort one finds at the University of California, Irvine:

I hope that, as a student project completed in a little under two weeks, this doesn’t violate Fair Use and won’t be taken down, but I can’t be sure. Also, I’ll credit the student when I hear back from her about whether she wants credit for it. Given that I’ve already had a Disney animator think it worthy of praise, though, I’m fairly comfortable sharing it with the world.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share

1. Snarki, child of Loki says:

Cool! Of course, the musical score does a lot of the work in the “compelling and vivid” department, but still.

2. sharculese says:

Why are you letting your students work with material they can relate to instead of forcing them to read Moby Dick?

Don’t you know you’re destroying Western civilization?

3. Why is Robert Baratheon’s head (at 18 seconds) roughly the same size as his own chest? (Otherwise, awesome job, says the man who hasn’t seen more than a few minutes of the HBO series.)

4. Ginger Yellow says:

I hope this is intended to be a credit sequence for Season 2 or later because, otherwise, serious spoilers.

5. Vance Maverick says:

Is this the right room for an argument between Loomis and Greenwald?

6. wjts says:

Needs more Sansa.

7. S_noe says:

I am kind of wishing that there had been some hat-tipping to the official credit sequence, because I think it is, on its own, pretty fantastic. But as a genre-translation, this is awesome – nice job, student! It makes me want to see the full-length Miyazaki treatment of the source material.

• SEK says:

There wasn’t any hat-tipping required because it’s a given. Everyone knows you’re trying to top that brilliant sequence, and going to another genre, and doing it well, is about the only way to do that. No disrespect was intended.

8. mxyzptlk says:

I dig how she cast Brian Blessed as Robert Baratheon.

9. Funkula says:

I have lamented on occasion that the show couldn’t be made with actors from twenty years ago, particularly Blessed as Robert and Patrick Stewart as Stannis.

• ajay says:

Even the actors they’re using now are a bit too old for the chronology. Ned and Robert are supposed to have been impetuous young men (and Ned’s younger sister an unmarried girl) at the outbreak of Robert’s rebellion fifteen years ago. Ned should be at most in his late thirties now, not his early fifties. But then people just seem to age fast in Game of Thrones (all those suspiciously mature fifteen-year-old kings and generals and newlyweds) – or else the year is just a lot longer.

• Cody says:

Well, people used to have much shorter lifespans I suppose. I certainly don’t find it weird they would age much faster with poor diet and constant exposure to the elements.

Especially with those long winters. Also, I’m certain the actors of the age were picked because they looked regal. Ned just -LOOKS- like I would expect him to, even though he is older than he probably should be.

10. […] re-posting this because I received an email on my earlier post inquiring as to whether "cartoons" are capable of tackling difficult social issues responsibly. I […]