Stay classy, North Carolina

[ 48 ] February 18, 2013 |

Or not:

Not only will the licenses be vertical rather than horizontal—something ordinarily reserved for beginning drivers—but they will also feature a pink header and include the following words in all caps “NO LAWFUL STATUS.” Now, of course, none of these changes are necessary. And they have no apparent effect. The licenses will be fully valid. All they will do is send a not-so-subtle message to the immigrants (all of whom have lived in the U.S. for the vast majority of their lives) that they’re not really welcome or equal in the eyes of the state of North Carolina—even for the limited purpose of driving.

I’d rather North Carolina stop being not-so-subtle and go old-school:

What could possibly go wrong?

1. Murc says:

… someone who understands conlaw better than me tell me there’s no way this survives an equal protection challenge.

Please.

2. commie atheist says:

What’s next calling illegal immigrants “vermin?” Oh, wait.

3. DrDick says:

They aren’t even trying to pretend they are not any more.

4. Jim Lynch says:

I’m not one to cast aspersion on the people of North Carolina, if for no other reason than my native State unleashed both Nixon and Reagan on the entire country. But what the hell is wrong with those people?

5. xxy says:

An NC driver’s license has a category for race in the biographical info? That’s pretty disgusting.

6. Hogan says:

Seriously, pink?

7. efgoldman says:

My son-in-law is a wonderful young man. He’s from NC; we don’t hold it against him. After all, he married my daughter, a very common-sense, very liberal, very feminist young woman. He escaped, and is glad of it. Some of his family, however…

8. rea says:

Pendantry, I’ve been told, is one of my flaws–but I’d like to know in what sense these people have “no legal status.” “Immigrants granted the right to stay in the United States under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program” sounds like a legal status to me.

Of course, “present in the country in complete and utter violation of the immigration laws” would be a legal status, too.

• efgoldman says:

Well, some cracker doesn’t approve of them. Doesn’t that (plus the fact a lot of them are, you know, brown, and maybe maybe talk with a funny accent [then again, so do half the white people in NC] and, you know, of course they’re not entitled to legal status.
      But there are no racists there. Oh, no. Not at all. Nobody here but as liberty lovers….
      Great bleeding FSM!

• Philip says:

I think there’s another reason for putting it on there. When they’re pulled over, beaten, and jailed for driving while brown, the cop can say “well, it said no legal status on the license, I thought that meant the license wasn’t valid.” Same thing when businesses that require proof of age turn them away.

• Funkula` says:

Thank you for pointing this out. Given that they are granted this status by a law, that is pretty much clearly a lawful status. I kind of think they were intending to dodge that by using the term lawful instead of legal, but they didn’t think hard enough.

• Pendant-phile Poster says:

From the USCIS.gov website, FAQ’s for DACA applicants:

Q6: If my case is deferred, am I in lawful status for the period of deferral?

A6: No. Although action on your case has been deferred and you do not accrue unlawful presence (for admissibility purposes) during the period of deferred action, deferred action does not confer any lawful status.

The fact that you are not accruing unlawful presence does not change whether you are in lawful status while you remain in the United States. However, although deferred action does not confer a lawful immigration status, your period of stay is authorized by the Department of Homeland Security while your deferred action is in effect and, for admissibility purposes, you are considered to be lawfully present in the United States during that time.

Apart from the immigration laws, “lawful presence”, “lawful status” and similar terms are used in various other federal and state laws. For information on how those laws affect individuals who receive a favorable exercise of prosecutorial discretion under DACA, please contact the appropriate federal, state or local authorities.

• Mister Harvest says:

Your presence in the US authorized and you are considered lawfully present for admissibility purposes, but you’re not lawfully admitted.

Wow.

• Snarki, child of Loki says:

I guess you’ve finally identified the people responsible for all of those “This page is intentionally blank” things.

Bravo!

9. Steve says:

Why not? They also think women’s breasts are terrifying and must be covered at all times.

10. cpinva says:

they just really can’t seem to help themselves, can they?

11. Jberardi says:

These are the same people who can’t figure out why asians won’t vote for them, right?

12. dl says:

[sarc] It can’t be racist, the sample license name says “Jane Wiley” [/sarc]

also, pun intended on the name? I doubt the relevant authorities are clever enough.

13. Eric says:

Would it have been possible to make this point without breaking Godwin’s law?

14. Greco says:

You know who ELSE wanted people to wear yellow stars?