Saturday

[ 18 ] February 2, 2013 |

Hope you all are having as good a Saturday night as Zevon did when writing “Carmelita.”

1. efgoldman says:

Don’t you ever get the weekend off?
    Go out! Put a head on a pike, or something, for FSM’s sake.

2. Vance Maverick says:

Is “Carmelita” / “tighter” intended as a rhyme?

The “outskirts” seem as fictional as “Ensenada” — the song is plainly set on Los Angeles, which is too big to have outskirts.

3. Brenda Johnson says:

One of my favorite memories is of a college friend of mine calling me from California, while he was off working as an organizer, to tell me he was AT the Pioneer Chicken stand. That and actually eating at Lee Ho Fook’s in London.

4. MAJeff says:

This made my Saturday: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_politics/2013/02/brown_out_gop_mulls_romney_energy

Ann Romney is so hugely popular that she should run for Senate in MA.

When considering the folks who wrote this, you seriously have to ask: What’s the line you won’t cross? This has gone so far into the realm of fiction that these writers have given up any claim to being journalists.

• efgoldman says:

“I’ve had several people call me and ask about Ann Romney,” Ron Kaufman, a longtime friend and aide to the former Massachusetts governor and 2012 presidential candidate nominee, told the Herald.

That’s more than three.
      Remember who owns the Herald.
      Also that Ron Kaufman is a congenital liar (seriously, no hyperbole).
      The Globe is the establishment blue state3/blue politics paper in MA. The Herald barely hangs on by being the journal of the angry white men. They’re a distinct minority in MA.

5. Belle Waring says:

After spending my entire childhood mystified by the direction to “look away, down, Gower Avenue/Look away…” in Desperadoes Under the Eaves (and not understanding it was a street name exactly) I was really excited to randomly go there on the way to Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles on my first trip to LA. I wonder has the neighborhood gentrified, or could you still cop near the Pioneer Chicken stand? Where is it at? Oh, and how does he have a “pearl-handled deck”? I get that he’s playing solitaire because he’s not sharing with Carmelita (dick move, dude), but how’s it pearl-handled? Double-glassine envelope? Hella shiny packaging? You guys are probably not the people to ask. I mean, I love you and all, but.

6. Belle Waring says:

I mean, I’ve seen lame-ass speculation that he’s playing Russian roulette but NO! Because there are alternate versions of the lyrics that have him pawning his “Smith & Wesson” rather than his “Smith Corona,” and though that’s admittedly one verse later, that’s too many references to the same gun. Maybe his deck of heroin was laced with something? It was the 70s. I should ask my dad, he knows all this stuff.

7. Belle Waring says:

They put ground-up quaaludes on everything back then, it was like sprinkles, or dippin’ dots or some shit.

8. AUDIENCE: Play “Carmelita”!
    WARREN: I would rather stick things in my eye.

9. Belle Waring says:

He hated it? I saw him play when I was…well, not a kid but like a young teen, and he was sober. But the gig was at a bar in South Carolina. OK, a “‘”club”‘”. We got to put in requests and I’m pretty sure I requested “Carmelita.” Maybe I requested “The French Inhaler”? I know he played my request. But Jesus, there were like 40 people there total, who’s going to be mean to the starry-eyed 13-year-old (raises hand nervously…”um…Warren Zevon?”). One of my family members got his autograph for me (“to Belle”) at the 12-step meeting they were both attending, after explaining who I was from the bar. But like a dumbass I decided folding it up and putting it at the front of a book would be a good place to keep it but then… If the lesson was to own fewer books I failed to learn it.