Quinn Should Stop Holding Up the Sick Leave Bill

[ 23 ] February 22, 2013 |

I saw Gloria Steniem speak at Skidmore yesterday.  (Oddly, in violation of the Sacred Principles of Academic Balance there was not an additional speaker who came on to oppose gender equity.   Perhaps the text of her remarks was sent to Alan Dershowitz, who agreed to a one-time exception to the Sacred Principles because he did not find the remarks objectionable?   Or perhaps nobody has believed in the Sacred Principles before or since the CUNY incident, who can really say.)   At any rate, in addition to many other interesting things she sent the same message that was reported by the Times yesterday:

Gloria Steinem, the feminist author and activist, said this week that she would withdraw her support for Christine C. Quinn in the New York City mayor’s race if Ms. Quinn, speaker of the City Council, did not allow a vote on sick-leave legislation that is a cherished cause of liberal groups.

The measure, which would require many small businesses to provide at least five sick days a year to employees, has been blocked by Ms. Quinn, who has said the rules would be hurtful in a fragile economy.

Steinem said that the votes were there if Quinn lets the bill move forward, so this should be seen as a major test of Quinn’s fitness to be the Democratic candidate for mayor. As of now, the answer should clearly be “no way.”

1. mds says:

As of now, the answer should clearly be “no way.”

In which case: who?

Quinn is likely to remain the primary favorite, unless actual Democrats unite behind a single alternative. So … Bill Thompson? I have a hard time even remembering his name, yet Bloomberg had to spend several bajillion dollars in order to win by 4.6% in 2009. He wasn’t exactly the feistiest gadfly as comptroller, but he easily lined up the union endorsements, and made it onto the Working Families Party line without issuing Cuomoesque threats. Who’s unofficially in at this point who could be a contender?

2. actor212 says:

I hate to admit this, but I may end up voting Republican if Tom Allon wins his primary. There’s a really bad bunch of candidates for mayor, tainted in large part because of spending twelve years under Bloomberg and being bought out by him.

3. Karen says:

Has anyone calculated how much it would cost to provide five measly (yes, I meant to use that word) days of SICK LEAVE? If a business can’t afford five days without an employee, then that business probably should fail. They are either teetering on the edge of insolvency or they pay that one employee entirely too much.

• Malaclypse says:

The calculation is pretty simple – 5 days increases labor costs by almost exactly 2% (for the small set of employees that don’t already have 5 days).

• actor212 says:

Which, considering the net profit margins many shops operate on — 3% is not uncommon in retail clothing, for instance — is not insignificant.

Now multiply that by how many employees you’d have to award sick leave to. I suppose you could tack on 2% to the price of the inventory. It should not have that big an effect in a city like New York.

Still, a sick employee is inefficient and likely to infect other employees. It’s a good idea and she needs to get out of the way.

• Crackity Jones says:

I think public health trumps any economic consideration-like in food service or health care workers-you don’t want granny getting sick because the aide couldn’t get time off. For retail, I can buy a legitimate economic argument against it, but an economic argument up against public health has to pass strict scrutiny for me (yes, I have taken Con Law and I know that’s not what strict scrutiny means, but it sounds good and I think you know what I mean in this context-it’s a high hurdle).

• mpowell says:

This is why your 2% is not even accurate. You’re not getting 5 days of a normal employee’s productivity. You’re getting much less than that. It shouldn’t cost you too much to lose it (and you might even be better off if they aren’t getting other people sick/can get better sooner).

4. Karen says:

Since I am at home with the flu despite having had this year’s vaccine, sick leave is a very immediate and personal issue.

5. Crackity Jones says:

Good on her. It sends the right message. As a feminist,
    I don’t support Quinn just because she is a woman or LGBT, as historic as those would be for New York. I will call out anyone who uses sexism or homophobia instead of debating her on the merits, but I do not support her. See also Sarah Palin.

Also, speaking of voting for a Republican-I will definitely vote against Booker when he’s the NJ Dem Senate candidate. Anything, I mean anything, to put the brakes on his ascendancy. I will vote for a republican before I vote for him for Senator or President. Wrong kind of person, wrong kind of Democrat.

• “Also, speaking of voting for a Republican-I will definitely vote against Booker when he’s the NJ Dem Senate candidate. Anything, I mean anything, to put the brakes on his ascendancy. I will vote for a republican before I vote for him for Senator or President.”

Well that’s just plain stupid, but we’ve all had that argument before.

• Crackity Jones says:

I know it’s stupid. I spent most of the latter half of 2012 excoriating people thinking like this. And you know what, I’m fucking tired of shit Democrats, so I’m not going to vote for this particular shit Democrat. It’s the political equivalent of a temper tantrum, but after years of responsible voting I’ll allow myself this one.

• JoyfulA says:

Booker’s a Democrat? You could have fooled me!

6. Epicurus says:

I can’t abide La Quinn, partly because her speaking voice reminds me of Rosie O’Donnell. Apart from that, this little sneak collaborated with Mayor Mike to enable his illegal third term. Why? So HE would support HER run for mayor…disgusting. I’m looking for ANYONE other than this harridan.

• actor212 says:

Apart from GLBT issues, there are precious few liberal issues that Quinn comes down firmly in the left on.

For instance, she stripped the poor of the city of health care services (including dismantling one of the oldest public healthcare departments in the nation, the Department of Health, stripping out all but the most vital services.)

• Origami Isopod says:

Got any more sexist dogwhistles you want to blow, Epicurus?