Official LGM Valentine’s Day Dinner*

[ 55 ] February 12, 2013 |

When I was looking for the recipe for last night’s delightful meal recommendation, I ran across this classic seafood mousse dish that I thought would just be wonderful for all of you who are cooking a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner for your special someone.

Let me know if this helps make your day extra special.

* Not actually officially sanctioned by LGM. Or really, anyone.

1. Ken Houghton says:

Expecting Python fans in 3, 2, 1…

2. Bill Murray says:

gotta love the smile

3. Winchester says:

Hmmm, it seems like a good alternative to pancakes.

4. That picture is going to haunt my nightmares.

5. rea says:

Apparently carrot strips for the orange lines, and sliced olives (with pimento?) for the eyes . . .

6. Funkula` says:

Are we feeling a bit Lileks lately?

7. rickhavoc says:

Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark… he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn’t seem to be living… until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin’ and the hollerin’, they all come in and they… rip you to pieces.

8. I don’t…because why would anyone-I mean whatthefuck is that fucking thing

9. CaptBackslap says:

Frankfurter Bake,” brought to you by the Rice Information Service.

• BlueLoom says:

Reminds me of the “hot-dog stew” soup I was once served by a friend: same thing as oyster stew, except substitute sliced hot dogs for oysters. Basically hot dog slices floating in warm, lightly seasoned milk. I think that nothing I’ve ever been served as a guest has tested my manners to the extent that this soup did. (Yes, I ate most of it; it was horrible.)

10. Timurid says:

Can’t sleep… fish clown will eat me…

11. herr doktor bimler says:

I assume that steak tartare would be served molded into the shape of a calf.
    Come to think of it, we have a brain mold lying around somewhere.

12. grouchomarxist says:

“But … it’s … smiling at us!”

13. DN says:

This is just wrong. I was wiling to try the bannana and ham thing and it didn’t hurt (too much). Now this. I think you’re angry at us or something.

14. LeeEsq says:

I’m not looking forward to the desert recipes.

15. knecht ruprecht says:

Hmmm. Am I the only one who finds that recipe entirely unobjectionable? I wager that if waiter at a trendy restaurant served a slice of it on toast and called it the amuse bouche, no small number of you would enjoy it, if not single it out for praise in your yelp review.

• Captain Bringdown says:

“Entirely” unobjectionable would be going a little far for me, but I’d *much* sooner eat this than the “bananas benedict” recipe from yesterday. In fact, I wouldn’t really have any qualms about trying it if it were made with decent Italian tuna. Fresh herbs would also be preferable to the dried.

• I wager that if waiter at a trendy restaurant served a slice of it on toast and called it the amuse bouche…

…it wouldn’t be a fish-shaped lump with a fucking smiley face.

Presentation counts.

16. Matt says:

Now imagine you’re hung over, and somebody puts THAT in your face and then shakes the platter a little, so it wiggles.

SPEW-O-RAMA. Perhaps coincidentally, also the first ingredient in the “mousse”.

• knecht ruprecht says:

Perhaps coincidentally, also the first ingredient

I don’t see the problem here. There is a long and perfectly respectable tradition of cooking with gelatin.

• knecht ruprecht says:

Perhaps coincidentally, also the first ingredient

I tried to reply to this, but my comment got eaten. Anyway, gelatin is a perfectly honorable ingredient. Google “Sülze” or “Galareta”. Or “chaud-froid”, a dish that originated with Carême, the father of grande cuisine.

17. burritoboy says:

Ia Ia Cthulhu has risen! Worship Him!