Official LGM Valentine’s Day Dinner*

[ 55 ] February 12, 2013 |

When I was looking for the recipe for last night’s delightful meal recommendation, I ran across this classic seafood mousse dish that I thought would just be wonderful for all of you who are cooking a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner for your special someone.

Let me know if this helps make your day extra special.

* Not actually officially sanctioned by LGM. Or really, anyone.

1. Ken Houghton says:

Expecting Python fans in 3, 2, 1…

2. Bill Murray says:

gotta love the smile

3. Winchester says:

Hmmm, it seems like a good alternative to pancakes.

4. That picture is going to haunt my nightmares.

• Erik Loomis says:

Who wants to eat the head?

• rea says:

With that smile? How could you?

• Barry Freed says:

Put it on a stick and eat it like a corn dog.

• DrDick says:

Only if you batter and deep fry it first.

• MAJeff says:

I’m sensing a new booth for the MN State Fair.

• DrDick says:

Or in Texas.

• The Dark Avenger says:

Or Scotland, which has the Munchy box that doubles as something you’d feed to people climbing Mt. Everest, nutritionally speaking:

Ingredients and nutrition

The contents of a munchy box vary but may typically include kebab meat, fried chicken, pizza, chicken tikka, onion rings, pakora, naan bread, garlic bread, coleslaw, other fast foods and sauces. There is sometimes a salad item and, invariably, chips.[1][2]

The energy content of sample munchy boxes has been reported as 1224, 2200[1] and 3000[2] calories while their salt content was estimated to be more than double the 6g recommended maximum for an adult. While it is not clear whether a munchy box is actually intended to be consumed as a meal for one[citation needed], there has been concern at the health implications if it is consumed in this way.

• AstroBio says:

Thank you, but I don’t remember eating any part of it (except the olives).
        My Gran always made this, or a very similar tuna mousse for her Toastmistress Club meetings (maybe I was too little to go along). I still have her mold and all I could think of to do with it was make a cranberry fish at Thanksgiving.

• BigHank53 says:

Eat it? I’m afraid to close my fucking eyes right now.

• Barry Freed says:

Choo choo!

• Erik Loomis says:

This is the special touch I bring to the site. The nightmares of history–invading your personal nightmares!

• Barry Freed says:

Hey, man, you don’t talk to the Professor. You listen to him. The man’s enlarged my mind. He’s a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean, sometimes he’ll, uh, well, you’ll say “Hello” to him, right? And he’ll just walk right by you, and he won’t even notice you. And suddenly he’ll grab you, and he’ll throw you in a corner, and he’ll say “Do you know that ‘if’ is the middle word in life? ‘If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you’…” – I mean, I’m no, I can’t – I’m a little man, I’m a little man, he’s, he’s a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas…

• When you look into the a-fish, the a-fish also looks into you.

5. rea says:

Apparently carrot strips for the orange lines, and sliced olives (with pimento?) for the eyes . . .

6. Funkula` says:

Are we feeling a bit Lileks lately?

7. rickhavoc says:

Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark… he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn’t seem to be living… until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin’ and the hollerin’, they all come in and they… rip you to pieces.

8. I don’t…because why would anyone-I mean whatthefuck is that fucking thing

9. CaptBackslap says:

Frankfurter Bake,” brought to you by the Rice Information Service.

• BlueLoom says:

Reminds me of the “hot-dog stew” soup I was once served by a friend: same thing as oyster stew, except substitute sliced hot dogs for oysters. Basically hot dog slices floating in warm, lightly seasoned milk. I think that nothing I’ve ever been served as a guest has tested my manners to the extent that this soup did. (Yes, I ate most of it; it was horrible.)

10. Timurid says:

Can’t sleep… fish clown will eat me…

11. herr doktor bimler says:

I assume that steak tartare would be served molded into the shape of a calf.
    Come to think of it, we have a brain mold lying around somewhere.

12. grouchomarxist says:

“But … it’s … smiling at us!”

13. DN says:

This is just wrong. I was wiling to try the bannana and ham thing and it didn’t hurt (too much). Now this. I think you’re angry at us or something.

14. LeeEsq says:

I’m not looking forward to the desert recipes.

15. knecht ruprecht says:

Hmmm. Am I the only one who finds that recipe entirely unobjectionable? I wager that if waiter at a trendy restaurant served a slice of it on toast and called it the amuse bouche, no small number of you would enjoy it, if not single it out for praise in your yelp review.

• Captain Bringdown says:

“Entirely” unobjectionable would be going a little far for me, but I’d *much* sooner eat this than the “bananas benedict” recipe from yesterday. In fact, I wouldn’t really have any qualms about trying it if it were made with decent Italian tuna. Fresh herbs would also be preferable to the dried.

• knecht ruprecht says:

I’d *much* sooner eat this than the “bananas benedict” recipe from yesterday

I think all right-thinking people can agree that hollandaise sauce from a mix is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.

• I wager that if waiter at a trendy restaurant served a slice of it on toast and called it the amuse bouche…

…it wouldn’t be a fish-shaped lump with a fucking smiley face.

Presentation counts.

16. Matt says:

Now imagine you’re hung over, and somebody puts THAT in your face and then shakes the platter a little, so it wiggles.

SPEW-O-RAMA. Perhaps coincidentally, also the first ingredient in the “mousse”.

• knecht ruprecht says:

Perhaps coincidentally, also the first ingredient

I don’t see the problem here. There is a long and perfectly respectable tradition of cooking with gelatin.

• knecht ruprecht says:

Perhaps coincidentally, also the first ingredient

I tried to reply to this, but my comment got eaten. Anyway, gelatin is a perfectly honorable ingredient. Google “Sülze” or “Galareta”. Or “chaud-froid”, a dish that originated with Carême, the father of grande cuisine.

17. burritoboy says:

Ia Ia Cthulhu has risen! Worship Him!