“I’m only racist on my mother’s side. My father’s people were misanthropes.”

[ 106 ] February 18, 2013 |

That Brevard Community College will be firing Sharon Sweet for compelling her students to vote for Obama is, of course, evidence that such indoctrination is ubiquitous in contemporary academia. The first comment on that Daily Caller link states the case in its strongest form:

Liberal fascism at home on every campus.

Exactly! Those two words always belong next to each other on campus. Goes without saying. What I find interesting about this story is that there’s no racial angle to it. Sweet’s race is never mentioned in the article nor does a search turn up an image that’s unequivocally of her. But Jim Hoft knows what she must look like, so when he did a Google Image search for “Sharon Sweet” he carefully considered all of the faces that might be hers and went with his gut.

That it told him she must be the black woman in the mug shot doesn’t make Hoft himself a racist—just his gut. Which makes him, what? About thirty percent racist?

1. montag2 says:

Umm, Jim Hoft is a really big bag o’ guts, so, I’d have to say, oh, 60-70%.

2. Jonas says:

“That’s where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up. Now, I know some of you are going to say, “I did look it up, and that’s not true.” That’s ’cause you looked it up in a book. Next time, look it up in your gut. I did. My gut tells me that’s how our nervous system works.”

• Green Caboose says:

And I read that and thought – geez that sounds like Colbert. And I googled and it was, from that terrific roasting he did of Bush and the Villagers in 2006.

Sigh. That roasting had no effect of course. But whatever he does with the rest of his lift, Colbert’s decision to blow up any potential future career he had with politicians and make that speech will alway be one of the great, great, great moments in human history.

• commie atheist says:

Actually, he pissed off the assembled media stenographers and asslickers more than he did the politicians. And, wow, color me surprised that Ana Marie Cox, during her ascendant phase, didn’t see what was so special about it:

Comedy can have a political point but it is not political action, and what Colbert said on the stage of the Washington Hilton — funny or not — means far less than what the ardent posters at ThankYouStephenColbert.org would like it to. While it may have shocked the President to hear someone talk so openly about his misdeeds in the setting of the correspondents dinner — joking about “the most powerful photo-ops in the world” and NSA wiretaps — I somehow doubt that Bush has never heard these criticisms before. To laud Colbert for saying them seems to me, a card-carrying lefty, to be settling. Colbert’s defenders might aim for the same stinging criticisms to be issued not from the Hilton ballroom but from the dais in a Senate Judiciary committee hearing. And I wouldn’t really care if they were funny or not.

• cpinva says:

no one’s ever accused ms. cox of being a particularly bright “card-carrying lefty”.

• Warren Terra says:

More like that she had to carry the card for proof, because otherwise how could anyone tell? Her blatant careerist opportunism certainly wasn’t going to let her progress be derailed by any considerations of principles or ideals (or ideas).

• expatchad says:

Your gut is getting a big head …

3. Johnny Sack says:

As soon as conservatives accuse liberals of something, they’ve given up their game. It’s always projection. Always.

Also, nuke Florida from orbit. It’s ok, I moved out a long time ago.

• Johnny Sack says:

I should say, they’ve given away their game. They never give up.

• spencer says:

Also, nuke Florida from orbit. It’s ok, I moved out a long time ago.

Also, fuck you, but some of us haven’t been able to make it out just yet.

• FLRealist says:

Also, nuke Florida from orbit. It’s ok, I moved out a long time ago.

While I heartily agree with the sentiment, please don’t. Hubby’s a native, and he won’t let us move out of this god-forsaken place.

4. Derelict says:

Is there any moronic/racist/incredibly dopey thing the stupidest man on the internet can do that is not ridicule-worthy? My gut tells me “no,” but my brain tells me there must be some lower bound below which it become like mocking participants at the Special Olympics.

5. David Kaib says:

How did she compel her students to vote for Obama? Did she make them get absentee ballots?

6. wjts says:

I hardly think that the unthinking association of a mug shot of a woman who lives in Fort Myers with a professor of the same name who teaches in Cocoa (some 230 miles away on the opposite side of the peninsula) can in any way be considered even the slightest bit racist.

• elm says:

Please, warn people before sending them to that website. Holy crap, I didn’t need to read an anti-semitic racist’s conspiracy rants.

• NorthLeft12 says:

I thought the orange jumpsuit was the standard uniform for professors at Brevard Community College.

Jim Hoft

That may be the next Republican breakthrough idea in reducing education expenditures. Sentence felons to terms of service as college teachers.

7. isaiah says:

If you search google images for “professor sharon sweet” you can see that a bunch of right wing web sites have used that mug shot for this story. Although a few of them have comments saying that it isn’t the right picture.

8. Carol says:

Ummm, how on earth did she compel her students to vote for Obama? Did she go with each one to the booth? How did she do that? Did they all claim they were blind and needed her to read the ballot to them? And did she really do what the Daily Caller accuses her of doing? Or did she simply do what she said she was dong? A bunch of right wing students in your classroom is a promise of problems to come.

9. Speak Truth says:

At the time of this comment, there are 17 other comments before mine. None of them address the issue of politics to children that are a captive audience and the power the teacher has over them.

If this were the workplace and your boss let you know in no uncertain terms that you should vote and support a conservative candidate, would that be just OK with you, too?

• Speak Truth says:

In the eyes of the college, Sweet clearly created a hostile environment for students, since many feared their grades would be affected if they did not sign the pledge.

Hey, this is kinda like “card check” ain’t it!!

You should be all about this.

• Uncle Kvetch says:

Hey, this is kinda like “card check” ain’t it!!

Let’s connect the dots:

“Card check” contains two words, both in English.

“College professor” contains two words, both in English.

“Buckwheat pancakes” contains two words, both in English.

OH. MY. GOD…[staggers away from computer]

• Uncle Kvetch says:

Oh, and bonus points for referring to community college students as “children.” Those poor widdle rugrats didn’t stand a chance.

• Bill Murray says:

Maple Syrup also is two words both in English and it goes well with buckwheat pancakes — and I, a college professor, have had maple syrup on buckwheat pancakes. I have also checked cards (although not in the Wittgensteinian card check sense)

• SEK says:

If you understood sarcasm, you’d see that I address the “unjust” nature of her firing in the original post.

• timb says:

Well, of course, the list of Republican CEO’s who threatened their employees was pretty long

• cpinva says:

they aren’t children, they are college aged or even older. it’s a community college, not a high school.

“None of them address the issue of politics to children that are a captive audience and the power the teacher has over them.”

nor are they a “captive audience”, being adults, they could get up and leave any time they chose. as well, being a math class, where problems have definite, objective answers, i wondered how she would seek reprisal against them, change their answers on tests?

• Stag Party Palin says:

None of them address the issue of politics

“None of them addresses” you clod. Jeebus, nothing upsets me more than using one of two acceptable grammatical forms that upset me. Except pancakes without genuine maple syrup. Now that really pisses me off.

• Vance Maverick says:

This is a myth. Pancake Kid has plenty of real defects to attack — but the choice of number agreement for “none” isn’t one of them.

• somethingblue says:

Won’t somebody please think of the Pfannkuchen???

• john (not mccain) says:

1 – i lie to my boss all the time about things she could verify. i am certainly not going to get all tense over something she couldn’t. 2 – CHILDREN CAN’T VOTE.

• STH says:

If she did pressure or compel her students to vote in a certain way, no, it isn’t right.

But I guarantee you that every single conservative who is horrified by this is also an advocate for mandatory prayer in grade schools, which DOES involve kids, while this case doesn’t. Because they don’t have any problem at all with pressure or compulsion, as long as they’re the ones doing the compelling. They only care about rights when somebody else is in charge.

10. cpinva says:

i find it odd that a report on a personnel matter has been made public, in violation of multiple privacy statutes, federal & state. this causes me to wonder if the school is going to find itself the respondent in a civil action? as well, at no point have we seen prof. sweet’s response, since the report was released just 3 days ago. they could only convince 43 out of 85 students to take part in their “survey”? seems odd, if prof. sweet’s behaviour was as eggregious as it’s been described, but maybe that’s just me.

if she is guilty of the acts she’s accused of, then clearly she has no business in a classroom. being a mathematician, i doubt she’ll have trouble finding gainful employment.

• Informant says:

Precisely what federal “privacy statute[s]” would preclude the release of this information? (There may be state statutes relating to personnel matters, but I’m aware of no federal law that would be likely to apply.)

11. Uncle Ebeneezer says:

How does Econ professors openly touting the merits of Supply Side/Invisible Hand etc., for the past 30 years, fit into Liberal Fascism?

• BigHank53 says:

I had the misfortune of being exposed to a microeconomics text last year that classified “entrepreneurship” as an additional fourth basic category, in addition to labor, capital, and natural resources. No, inventing a new business isn’t a specialized form of labor, like being a professor or doctor; it is unique and therefore deserving of an ever-greater slice of the pie.

• Kyle says:

Economics and engineering faculty are inconveniently too conservative to fit the right-wing bogeyman role, so they pretend that colleges consist entirely of Black Studies, Chicano Studies and Women’s Studies departments.

• DrDick says:

Or business profs proclaiming that government regulations destroy businesses (which I have actually overheard in a lecture).

• redrob64 says:

Why in the name of all that is unholy are there even such creatures as business professors? I thought the whole point of the folklore of capitalism was that businessmen were brave doers, who didn’t need a bunch of eggheads to tell them how to do whatever it is they do to make a profit. Doesn’t the whole idea of business school run against the grain of their self-image?

• STH says:

I’m taking Business 101 right now (send help) and the lecture on Economics consisted of nothing but Republican talking points: the ACA and Social Security are socialist, Democrats are socialist, no minimum wage is needed because all minimum wage workers are teenagers, the ACA will mean old people won’t get health care, etc. When I pointed out that health care is presently allocated by who can pay, he responded with the usual talking point: poor people can just go to emergency room! I responded that this drives up the cost of health care, but he obviously didn’t want to hear it and ignored me. What pisses me off the most about this is that we’re in a pretty conservative area here and now all those students have had their biases and ignorance confirmed rather than challenged. (It also irritated me that I know more about Adam Smith than the prof apparently does.)

I sometimes feel like a freaking undercover agent in that class.

12. I wonder how the student body at Liberty University makes up its mind.

• BigHank53 says:

They don’t accept students who have doubts.

• Malaclypse says:

So, as I think I’ve mentioned, I was educmacated in a fundamentalist “academy” up through high school. And every year in middle school, our English teacher (there was only one, for all of middle school) would have “writing assignments” where we would write a letter to our congresscritter on some cause (and the assignment, not we, determined if we were for or against). She would grade them, and them mail them off for us.

That was genuinely abusive. I remember that one of the assignments involved trying to get the IRS to leave poor Bob Jones University alone (and if anybody asks, yes, I did the assignments – to my discredit, it took until college to realize how fucked up my primary education was. Those Wonkette “Sundays with Christianist textbooks” series? I had an older edition of that text).

So, yea, what this lady is accused of doing? Freaking amateur hour.

• efgoldman says:

Hey, I’m old enough that we said the lord’s prayer and had a bible reading every morning along with the pledge of allegiance. In public school, where some very large fraction of the student body was Jewish. The Murray decision happened when I was in high school.

• ralphdibny says:

Ah, the memories. Like the time I was beaten with a paddle by my Bible teacher, who informed me that he wished he could take me outside the city walls and stone me, as the Old Testament commands for disobedient children. Or the time we took a “field trip” to a Reagan rally and we were all excited we were on the evening news.

In other words–yep, amateur hour.

• cpinva says:

according to my son, who goes to school just a bit down the road from liberty, a six-pack or two usually does the trick.

“I wonder how the student body at Liberty University makes up its mind.”

• commie atheist says:

Along with the move a few years back to turn the Officers’ Club into the Blue Oyster Bar

In times square now people do the polka
      Dominance….submission…radios appear
      This new year’s eve was the final barrier
      Dominance….submission…radios appear
      We took you up and we put you in the back seat
      Dominance….submission…radios appear
      From year to year we looked out for the venture
      Dominance….submission…radios appear
      Dominance….submission

13. Mike G says:

“Liberal fascism on every campus”

Yes, because conservative-dominated institutions like the military and corporations are such bastions of free expression and tolerance of dissent.

14. Manju says:

Those two words always belong next to each other on campus.

OK, but Dinesh D’Souza – whose (ex?) wife’s name is Dixie (I add gratuitously just because its funny) – gets full credit for “Illiberal Education”.

This is a relatively sophisticated use of “liberal”, especially considering the source.

*note: No, I’ve never read Liberal Fascism. DW-Nominate is not the same thing.

• cpinva says:

having made the mistake of reading some of mr. d’souza’s “work”, i’ve always come away thinking he’s just a ginormous dipshit, in a very expensive suit. it requires little in the way of hard analysis to deconstruct him, and i’m not all that bright. just imagine he and paul krugman in the same room. wait, that wouldn’t take long at all.

• Bill Murray says:

so D’Souza is the one who drove old Dixie down

15. Happy Jack says:

That photo doesn’t look to me like a 58 yr old woman. Then again, I’ve never been involved in an internet snipe hunt.

16. Throw all the bums out says:

Fire this weasel loser and every other professor at a public university who mandates that his or her students vote for a Democrat, or who requires that his or her students volunteer for a particular political organization. I am all for it; for far too long many of my liberal colleagues have used their bully pulpit to endorse, or worse, enforce the choice of political candidates. But let’s not stop there. Let’s fire those at state universities who give extra credit for going to particular religious institutions. (Yes, it does happen.) And, whle we are at it, let’s revoke the tax exemption of every church or synagogue or temple where the congregation was told for whom to vote in the last presidential election. After all, fair is fair.

• Tybalt says:

FRIGGIN’ PROF. OBAMA!!

• Vance Maverick says:

Also, in TATBO’s state, is there a secret ballot? I can believe a few professors make themselves unpleasant, but unless I’m missing something, they literally can’t force a vote.

• chris says:

To be fair, that goes for the pastors too, but they’re both still being jerks to use their pulpits (one of them literal) to try to coerce people’s political beliefs.

17. Mike Schilling says:

This is the only time in history a conservative assumed that a math professor would be black.