She’s just not that into you

[ 20 ] January 12, 2013 |

hjntiy

From TLS (h/t manofjustice):

So a certain TTT that I’ve never even considered applying to or shown any interest in CALLED me today. On my phone. Just to ask if I’d be interested in applying to their law school. Fee wavers over email and whatnot are nice, but I can’t imagine if all 203 ABA accredited law schools actually called me and awkwardly tried to talk me into considering them for five minutes. On the other hand, I certainly wasn’t considering them before and am now mildly intrigued, if only because of annoyance.

Did this happen to anyone else today?

I got one from Michigan State in Nov.

Uh oh.

Then we hear from Hawkeye Girl:

I got a call, voicemail and follow-up email from some girl at Indiana today… I was realllly glad I missed that call. Talk about awk.

Edit: Other weird part was that she emailed me from her gmail not from her school email….

Indiana is the 26th-ranked law school in the USN hierarchy.

Another poster reports that a random school left a 75% off tuition “scholarship” offer on his voice mail (Remember, none of these people have even applied to any of these places. Does LSAC ask for your cellphone number these days? And why would you give it to them? So you don’t miss Bob Post’s call, personally offering you admission?)

Pretty soon kids are going to have to start getting restraining orders

Speaking of which, yesterday I went through the process of getting kicked off a jury that was going to hear what seemed to be, from the questions asked by the lawyers during the voir dire, the trial of a misdemeanor DV harassment charge.

It was in city court. The defendant was a 35ish woman whose lawyer was about ten years younger, and who by the level of his apparent nervousness may well have been handling the first trial of his life.

The prosecutor was a sad-eyed middle-aged man in an ill-fitting diversity suit, who had a cartoon thought bubble over his head that said, “What am I doing trying misdemeanor harassment cases in city court at 8:30 AM for $53,000 a year?” This being Colorado, he probably went to law school to study environmental law, so he could write Brandeis briefs about polar bears for the Sierra Club.

At least they actually had jobs.

1. JoyfulA says:

Why did you get thrown off? My husband, the former public defender, did jury duty on an attempted murder case.

• Paul Campos says:

I’ve found that a candid statement of my views on the American criminal justice system guarantees that the DA will be striking me from the pool.

I’m surprised that a former PD can actually end up on a jury.

2. newsouthzach says:

This almost makes me want to sit the LSAT, just so I can field some of these ridiculous phone calls.

3. Charlie Sweatpants says:

“OK I know what you’re thinking . . . it’s probably Cooley. Or maybe New England Law. Yes, they’re getting desperate down in Hamsterdam . . . but out here in the suburbs, things are still OK, sort of. Well . . .

I got one from Michigan State in Nov.

Uh oh.”

So if the law school bubble bursts, which schools are too big to fail?

• Paul Campos says:

The most vulnerable schools are of course high-cost places with lousy employment numbers. Within that very large category there are a couple of especially vulnerable subgroups:

(1) Stand-alone institutions that can’t be carried by their parent universities. These places depend on lines of credit to operate, and their assets consist of human capital, which can be dumped expeditiously, and real estate, which in many cases can be re-purposed to more profitable uses.

(2) Schools that have significantly worse academic reputations than their parent universities. A place like Whittier, for example, does nothing for the prestige of its home institution. I doubt the university has any interest in subsidizing the law school in any sustained way — it exists as a moneymaker for the university, and if it isn’t making money its physical plant can be used for other university purposes.

• Charlie Sweatpants says:

“Within that very large category there are a couple of especially vulnerable subgroups”

Sounds good. How do we gamble on this? Can we short Whittier somehow?

• Paul Campos says:

A deep pocket lawyer friend of mine has been asking me the same question for several months now. I have no idea if or how it could be done, but if it can, this is the equivalent of about the spring of 2006 in the world of subprime lending.

• RhZ says:

I would suggest that eventually some states will need to downsize by closing law schools or privatizing, and assets would be available on the cheap.

But I don’t think that would happen soon.

4. Joey Maloney says:

an ill-fitting diversity suit

Pardon me, but what?

• Margarita says:

I was wondering the same thing.

• Xenos says:

I just assumed the joke went over my head.

• ruviana says:

This.

I googled it and wound up in a thicket of law-stuff that’s beyond me. Must be a joke in there somewhere.

• RhZ says:

Diversity suit is the term for a case in Fed civil court between parties of different states. They are permitted to go to Fed court if they are from different states (protecting both of them from the dangers of a local court system) and if the amount in controversy is over some limit, like say 100,000 bucks.

So ill-fitting is meaningless in conjunction with this particular kind of ‘suit’.

Its Campos’ style, pretty funny actually, although he pulled the wool over my eyes one time so I read everything now with a big rock of salt next to me.

5. JD says:

Hey! I want some explanation of this “ill-fitting diversity suit” too.

• Paul Campos says:

Since nothing makes teh funny funnier than a ponderous explanation, here goes:

A diversity suit is a suit that has been removed from state to federal court because the parties are from different states, and therefore there’s diversity of jurisdiction.

Back in the day, a lawyer whose absence of fashion sense led him to commit various sins such as wearing a tie that clashed egregiously with his shirt would be accused of wearing a diversity suit.

• (the other) Davis says:

That’s a new one on me (haven’t heard any of the lawyers I hang around use that term), but I’m definitely going to look for an opportunity to use it.

6. Ken says:

Is this sort of solicitation covered by the “Do Not Call” list?

7. RhZ says:

Convenient that the monopoly LSAC decided to make an online space for communication between schools and students, no? These students opted into the system, which afaik basically allows schools to search for students using some criteria such as location or scores.

Their system has had these functions for years, always trying to help their captive schools, you know. If the app process is captured, why not try to build a forum to capture some or all of the promotion and introduction process too? But it doesn’t really work all that well, their system is too clunky and old by now.

A lot of schools are shipping out fee waivers en masse, I know that much.