Obscure Remembrances

[ 24 ] January 16, 2013 |

Back many, many years ago in my undergraduate days, my intramural floor hockey team won a lopsided victory.   Since the other team was called “Conrad Bain,” however, I felt they were the real winners.   R.I.P.

1. NonyNony says:

Okay don’t leave us in suspense – what was your team’s name?

2. Tnap01 says:

Heard his last words were “how the fuck did Bridges outlive us all”.

3. Linnaeus says:

There’s a history to be written about this, though I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s already been done.

4. TribalistMeathead says:

In other news, Conrad Bain was still alive on Sunday.

5. Erik Loomis says:

The episode where Bain was coaching the kids baseball team (and wearing dress shoes while batting!) and then brought Lance Parrish in to help the kids was extra special.

6. The episode where he broke Batman’s back could have had a warning on it.

7. Boots Day says:

Is Hank Bain still alive?

8. joejoejoe says:

I heard he was dating a Notre Dame linebacker.

9. Western Dave says:

You know, despite being on one of the cheesiest television shows ever, he was a great actor. He was in the legendary Jason Robards revival of The Iceman Cometh in a fairly major role. He was also apparently something of a union guy, helping to found the Actors Federal Credit Union and acting as it’s first President. (Thanks Wikipedia!). I’ve been kinda fascinated with that Robards revival which also had Peter Falk in it since the 80s revival and a big story in the Times that year complete with a Nina drawing. It was the first time I realized a bad play could be revived and turned into a good play.

10. M. Bouffant says:

What the hell is “floor hockey?”

When I was in school, we had hall Frisbee, which involved charging a glow-in-the-dark Frisbee from the dorm hall lights, turning the lights off & heaving the Frisbee w/ full force at the guys at the other end of the now pitch-black hall. No teams, no scoring, but good clean fun.

Similar?

11. dave3544 says:

The man took in his dead maid’s kids. Raised them like they were his own. Loved ‘em. Adopted ‘em. He’s a mench in my book.

12. Tybalt says:

CONRAD BAIN THINK NOT THAT YOU CAN EVADE THE CURSE OF THE STROKES

13. njorl says:

Last year Alex Karras, this year Conrad Bain, next year …

Were there any other sitcoms with white people raising black kids with stunted growth?

14. Halloween Jack says:

McBain’s still OK though, right?

• olexicon says:

“Rainer Wolfcastle: ["Six months later"] And the Oscar goes to…
      Montgomery Burns: Oh, I’ve got to win this one! I bribed everyone in Hollywood.
      Rainer Wolfcastle: …George C. Scott in “Man Getting Hit By Football”.
      [everyone applauds; Burns steams]
      Rainer Wolfcastle: [a screen shows George C. Scott standing there and a football hitting him in the groin]
      George C. Scott: [doubling over] Aargh! My groin. “