Advice

[ 39 ] January 29, 2013 |

Today, I turned 39. In my ripe old age, I’d like to share some advice from the WPA. From 1941:

The more you know.

1. Vance Maverick says:

That is one beautiful poster. Look at the careful design and placement of the apostrophes, like stray cuneiform. I appreciate the subject classification:

Subjects:
    Gasoline pumps–United States–1930-1940.
    Skulls–1930-1940.
    Intoxication–1930-1940.
    Safety–1930-1940.

And: happy birthday!

2. Robert Farley says:

I hate it when the government tries to tell me what to do. And I think I have some gasoline in the lawnmower…

3. mark f says:

On the other hand, fuck it, why not, it’s your birthday.

4. Sev says:

Dammit, they can flex-fuel the infernal combustion engine, why can’t they flex-fuel the liver?

5. DrDick says:

Hippo birdies, youngster. You are not quite a year younger than my son, who turns 40 in April.

6. T.R. Donoghue says:

Happy birthday!

7. Jeffrey Beaumont says:

I assume they mean dont drink and drive? Was there a lot of gas-drinking in the 1930s? Happy bday Loomis.

8. Thom says:

Happy birthday, young Erik!

9. Hogan says:

Many happy returns, young man.

10. Fake Irishman says:

What are your thoughts on mixing gasoline with nice bottle of pumpkin-infused vodka?
    (Happy birthday!)

11. Anonymous says:

I think my dad did something like that to pass smog checks.

12. wow, you’re awful young. Now I feel like I haven’t done anything with my life, since you’ve been the recipient of a Wingnut Flying Monkey Attack already.

It’s kind of mordantly hilarious that our modern eyes see that poster as being about drunk driving, when the reality was about, really, the need for government regulation of booze to avoid having it mixed with toxic additives.

Now if only we could even start talking about the damage adding those same toxic additives to our environment.

So any way, Happy Happy! Maybe zombies are not so good at this whole ‘cheering up’ thing. Oh well. you’re all just going to be chewed up by my compatriots eventually, or joining us.

• Uncle Kvetch says:

Seriously. I’m 48…when do I get my moment of SKREEEEEEE, huh?

Anyway, happy birthday to a true voice crying out in the wilderness. What time does the Funky Get Down Juche Party start?

13. Leeds man says:

Many grating and inflammatory returns, young man!

And let this be a lesson to us all that making your own booze is the safest bet, as long as you’re not caught making it.

14. dp says:

That’s absolutely right. I NEVER put gasoline in my whiskey.

• Mrs Tilton says:

Oh, it doesn’t matter what you put in your whiskey; so long as you add nothing to whisky, bar a drop or two of water.

15. UberMitch says:

Bart Simpson: Oh, P-U, what where you drinking, gasoline?
    Krusty the Clown: Yes, I was drinking gasoline, MOTHER!

16. herr doktor bimler says:

There’s kerosene around.
    Something to do.

17. Book says:

What are you planning to do for your midlife crisis? Buy a motorcycle and leather jacket like my dad?

Drop some more references to what’s “hip” these days, maybe?

18. Chester Allman says:

Happy Birthday! And stay away from the canned heat, too….

19. Malaclypse says:

39 is a very good age to be. I liked it so much, that last year was my Eighth Annual 39th Birthday.

• Barry Freed says:

What a coincidence, it was mine too.

And a happy belated birthday Professor Loomis. I need to find some heads-on-sticks birthday candles to send you for your big 4-0 next year.

20. somethingblue says:

This is terrible news for John McCain.

21. Conrad says:

Not a fan of the whole ethanol-in-fuel scheme then?