The White Race Cannot Survive Without Dairy Products

[ 66 ] December 27, 2012 |

I occasionally get the question of what the above phrase means. It was my tagline when I wrote at my own blog and it is on the rotating lines at the top of this blog. It is a quote from Herbert Hoover, a strong believer in eugenics along with everything else. The full quote is as follows:

“In its broad aspects, the proper feeding of children revolves around a public recognition of the interdependence of the human animal upon his cattle. The white race cannot survive without dairy products.”

In a sense, what Hoover is doing here is combining his very real concern for nutrition and food distribution with his racial sensibilities. The intertwining of racial ideology and social reform was all too common in the early 20th century and engaged in by figures ranging from Theodore Roosevelt to Margaret Sanger.

You can see this quote on Google Books in the very exciting journal The Dairy World (and what a wide world it is), 1922, Volume 1, p.18. Also, the equally thrilling publication The Milk Dealer, Volume 11, 1921, p. 86

…..Yglesias makes the connection between Hoover’s remarks and the soon skyrocketing milk prices (due to the Truman-era poison pill on milk without a farm bill). Obama’s plot to destroy white people is now clear for all to see!!!!!

1. actor212 says:

That entire era was rife with these really conflicting philosophies that were supposedly humanistic but in truth masked a deeper uglier moment in political thought, as if industrialization could be married to sociology (Frederick Winslow Taylor, anyone?).

2. Lindsay Beyerstein says:

Of course the white race needs dairy products. Where else would we get the white from?

3. Larry Lennhoff says:

Didn’t Jesus say “Blessed are the cheesemakers.”?

4. Darkrose says:

If the farm bill doesn’t get passed, we may get to test this theory.

• Milk drinker says:

Well this white person will continue buying milk even at double the price. It’s the only food that I consider essential — for some reason I become depressed without but can manage even on very plain food with it.

Now I can do without cheese and such, if they go up in price I’ll cut back on that.

5. Mike Schilling says:

There is a germ of truth in there. White (and black)children do depend on dairy products for basic nutrition. Asians traditionally don’t and many can’t even digest them well.

• Darkrose says:

Mostly white children. Black people have a high rate of lactose intolerance as well. My mother would have loved it if soy, almond, and other non-lactose milk alternatives were readily available when I was a kid.

• DrDick says:

It depends on where their ancestors are from in Africa. There are at least 3 separate mutations allowing adults to digest lactose in Sub-Saharan populations.

• J. Otto Pohl says:

They eat quite a bit of ice cream here in Ghana. They also like to put sweetened canned milk in their coffee or hot chocolate. There is also one local producer of liquid yogurt that is popular. But, I don’t see a lot of other dairy consumed here. If you want cheese you have to go to a Lebanese owned market usually. But, you can usually find milk imported from France or Belgium at most stores.

• DrDick says:

The genes which allow adults to digest lactose are primarily found among the Sahelian, Saharan, and East and Southren African cattle pastoralists.

• Procopius says:

I read somewhere recently that the repid spread of the mutation that permits lactose tolerance is a bit surprising. The reason it was surprising was that yogurt has less lactose than milk, so is tolerable to lactose-intolerant populations (think Manchurian nomads, I guess). And if further processed into cheese that contains even less lactose. Really interesting, because I’ve also read that Southern Europe, along the Mediterranean< uses olive oil instead of butter because in the warmer climate it's too difficult to keep butter from spoiling.

• JoyfulA says:

We whites often develop lactose intolerance in adulthood. I can’t drink milk or eat ice cream or soft cheese (bye-bye calzones!). I used the pills for lactose intolerance until dairies did something or other to skim milk to give it the “mouth feel” of whole milk (bleagh).

• Mike Schilling says:

That depends on geography too, at least according to Wiki. Scandinavia rarely develop adult lactose intolerance, while people near the Mediterranean usually do.

• LeeEsq says:

Well, dairy products have been important in the cuisine in the Middle East, North Africa, and Northern India.

• J. Otto Pohl says:

It depends what part of Asia. In Central Asia, particularly Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, but also Mongolia they drink a lot of milk products. Kyrgyzstan has the following sour milk drinks readily available, Kymyz, Chalap Shoro, Ayran, and Keifer. In South Asia, they eat cheese and yogurt. In Turkey (Anatolia) and Lebanon they also consume dairy products.

• DrDick says:

Fermentation and cooking breaks down lactose and allows even the lactose intolerant to eat it.

• J. Otto Pohl says:

Ok, but my wife and the two kids that are not biologically mine have no trouble drinking plain old cow’s milk. Neither do the wife’s cousins. I had thought that the Mongols differed from the Han in not being lactose intolerant.

• DrDick says:

Could be. I do not know enough about them to say.

• Another Halocene Human says:

Mongol nomads supposedly drank their horse’s blood and milk in a pinch. They do indeed have the lactose tolerance mutation. It’s generally found in populations that depended on dairy protein, especially far from the equator where the raw product would be consumed. The Mediterranean got the mutation later than northern Europe b/c milk, when you’re lucky, spoils into yogurt quickly.

• Spud says:

When Commodore Perry “opened Japan” at the point of a cannon in 1853, Americans were described as big nosed people who smelled of milk.

Japanese have been using dairy products pretty widely since the US Occupation in 1945.

European style bakeries and coffee are trendy. Milk based/flavored candies are pretty common. Pizza is a lot more common there than one would think. (but rather awful by Northeast US standards)

What they do to ice cream is just plain scary.

No Japanese Iron Chef episode is complete without someone trying to put a meat product or sea creature into an ice cream maker.

My wife is from one of the few landlocked regions of Japan. As someone who grew up on lowfat milk I was somewhat surprised to see she prefers whole milk.

• Another Halocene Human says:

Chiizu is just wrong, though.

They make the kids drink milk in school. Drinking milk can prolong lactose tolerance, but culturally I get the impression that a lot of the kids have trouble digesting it anyway. It would explain why the younger generation in Japan is taller than their parents. The Netherlands has the tallest population in the world and they eat the hell out of some dairy products.

6. mtraven says:

Hoover was quite astonishingly kind of right:

…analyses of data from the human genome have revealed numerous genes that have experienced recent positive selection, many of which exhibit functions that imply that they are responses to human cultural practices. For instance, several lines of evidence show that dairy farming created the selective environment that favoured the spread of alleles for adult lactose tolerance.

from Laland, Kevin N., John Odling-Smee, and Sean Myles. “How culture shaped the human genome: bringing genetics and the human sciences together.” Nature Reviews Genetics 11.2 (2010): 137-148.

• Warren Terra says:

You may have missed the bits (in the quote from Hoover) about “feeding of children” and (in your own quote) about “adult lactose tolerance”.

7. J.W. Hamner says:

Yeah, it’s thought to be a Nordic thing right? Derived from the unspeakable things they did to their cattle. Was disappointed to find out from a brief Google that the Nazis do not appear to have expressed a view that the ability to eat ice cream without nausea is a clear sign of the superiority of the white race.

• Sharon says:

It’s not nausea, it’s a type of lower GI distress that have your loved ones calling in a hazmat team if you succumb to the temptation of a hot fudge sundae.

• wjts says:

Not Nordic, no – the oldest evidence of using sheep, goats, and cattle for dairy products rather than for meat that I’m familiar with (caveat: this stuff is well outside my field) is from Pre-Pottery Neolithic B sites in the Near East. The practice (or the people responsible for the practice, depending on who you believe) then spread into Europe and parts of the Eurasian steppe.

• DrDick says:

The best current evidence (genetic) is that there were not many actual people moving. Mostly it was the technology spreading to neighboring peoples. The best documented mutation originates in the Baltic region. There are also mutations originating in the Middle East and in Africa.

• wjts says:

That’s the converse of my understanding of the field – generally, it’s geneticists (and genetically-minded archaeologists) who are arguing for demic diffusion while archaeologists who focus more on the actual archaeological record tend towards cultural diffusion.

• DrDick says:

I think we differ more on the issue of degree (how much is a “lot”). I certainly would not argue that there was no demic diffusion, especially in the eastern Mediterranean and Balkans. On the other hand it is difficult to disambiguate the the spread of genetic material directly linked to the spread of agriculture and subsequent spread of those markers by the classical Greeks and Romans.

• DrDick says:

I checked around a bit, since this is not my area and I have not kept up with this literature for a while. It would appear that you are correct about the initial spread of agriculture at least. Nonetheless, it still appears that the oldest and best documented mutation allow adults to drink milk originates in the Baltic.

The one I found a reference to in the Middle East is only found among pastoral nomads and not sedentary populations there. It is worth noting that most populations in that region eat dairy as cheese or yogurt (or other fermented milk products), rather than drinking whole milk. Both cooking and fermentation break down lactose.

• wjts says:

I’m not even remotely up on the genetics literature with regard to the origins of dairying, but the population showing earliest appearance of an allele allowing for adult digestion of lactose is not necessarily going to be the population that made the earliest use of domesticated animals for dairy production. As I understand it, archaeological evidence for the earliest actual use of milk and dairy products is concentrated in the Near East and Southeastern Europe – see here and here.

• DrDick says:

You are right about the emergence of dairying (of which there was never a dispute), but it would seem that they were not drinking a lot of raw milk. They probably did the same as their descendents and mostly ate it as yogurt and cheese.

• Another Halocene Human says:

I’m with Dr Dick and if you look at lactose tolerance today (wikipedia has a pretty cool article on this, or did), this bears this out. Rates are almost complete in the Scandanavian countries but shockingly low in the Near East. They just were not consuming raw milk in the days before refridgeration. The mutation is less than 10K years old and spread rapidly.

8. mark f says:

White people drink milk like this, but black people drink milk like this.

9. Kit Quemada says:

First time though, I read that as “Daily World,” which made it all even that much more interesting. But no.

10. I always assumed it was a line from a movie, like “Did you ever see a communist drink a glass of water?”

Herbert Hoover. Huh.

11. Tybalt says:

Native Americans, also completely hopeless with the lactose. My wife can indeed clear a room with a bad bout. Thank Frigg for lactase.

• The Dark Avenger says:

And some peoples had a different approach to dealing with milk than cheese, butters, or creme.

DrDick, did you know that the Han people of China usually use mare’s milk as a traditional medicine?

• DrDick says:

No, but it does not surprise me.

• J. Otto Pohl says:

In Kyrgyzstan fermented mare’s milk, kymyz, is supposed to be very good for your health. I have only drunk it when healthy so I don’t know how well it works. I do know that drinking chalap shoro every day greatly cut down on the number of times I got food poisoning in Bishkek.

12. J. Otto Pohl says:

Central Asians are a lot more into dairy products than white people. In Kyrgyzstan they have a large variety of sour milk drinks, and one Chalap Shoro is sold on the street like lemonade during the summers. My wife and kids are not white, but they drink a lot of sour milk.

• DrDick says:

Many of the Central Asian peoples are descended from pastoralists (migratory animal herders), who typically rely primarily on dairy products and eat relatively little meat (animals are wealth). Cooking and fermentation both break down lactose (milk sugar) so that the products can be eaten by anyone.

• J. Otto Pohl says:

Kyrgyz eat a lot of meat, mostly mutton. But, yes Mongols, Kazakhs, and Kyrgyz were at one time a couple of centuries ago all nomads moving with livestock. Nomadism was largely eliminated in Kazakhstan during the 1930s under Stalin, but it persisted on a limited scale in Kyrgyzstan up until the post-Soviet period. Now there are almost no nomads left, but the official cultural and historical line of the government romanticizes and glorifies nomadism. Yet when I ask my family if they want to live in a yurta they all instantly reject the idea.

13. David says:

I have recently started drinking A2 milk. In Iceland the milking herd is closer to the original cows (A2 milk) unlike the modern cows that have an extra protein in their milk. Apparently there is little incidence of diabetes in Iceland and it may be to do with the milk.

I am a New Zealander, but I have Swedish-Norwegian ancestry. My cousins children drink A2 milk because the regular milk makes them sick. I can no longer eat cooked cheese as I used to, and my grandfathe(on the Scandanavian side) had the same problem.

A medical student I was talking to told me that New Zealand children that were given milk at school in the 1950′s had a much lower incidence of bowel cancer compared to their peers. He thought it was to do with the stomach bacteria, and I think he is right.

I think that as we go along more attention is going to be paid to the nexus between bacteria and extra proteins generated in the new food processing processes and the new plant and animal breeding programmmes.

• Another Halocene Human says:

You’re talking about an allergy to the bovine casein mutation, which has fuck-all to do with adult lactose tolerance, but it is an interesting topic.

The casein mutation is why most people with cow’s milk allergy can consume goat and sheep dairy products with no problems.

• David says:

Thank you for that, I have learnt something. A bit blunt, but still informative. I wonder what else they put casein into?

• Au Contrare says:

Thank you for that remark. I couldn’t understand why I was still intolerant even with lactaid but I could eat hard cheeses and limited
        soft cheeses and yogurt with no problem. i ate a little one cheesecake one year that left me unable to breathe and after starting a food diary I narrowed it down to the cheesecake. I figured that it was something in the product that I was allergic to. So it is the casein that causes the problems like skin rashes, sore and closed throat, labored breathing and gastric distress. Well, be careful you almond milk drinkers because I believe a few brands have casein added to them.

• Au Contrare says:

Sorry, i meant watch out for this if you must drink almond milk.
        [The Cornucopia Institute’s] report detailed out several specific studies that showed that food safe and approved “undergraded” carrageenan is containaminated with the non-approved degraded carrageenan. Furthermore, when you ingest the undergraded version, it actually starts to degrade in the gastrointestinal tract and in the liver and turn into a carcinogen, resulting in a serious inflammatory agent that also can cause intestinal abnormalities. Because of this reason and other studies conducted the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer and the National Research Council of the United States both have determined that carrageenan is a carcinogen – a substance that causes cancer.

14. ezra abrams says:

It is easy to make fun of people from an earlier time for their silly beliefs.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

signed, The Whig Committee for more Charity on the Internet

(my understanding is that “whig history” is history which believes in progress)

• Aaron Morrow says:

Let us unite behind our common desire to make fun of people from today for their silly beliefs.

For example, the widespread belief that the white race cannot survive without Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid cuts.

• Another Halocene Human says:

I wonder if Hoover believed what he believed or if he was packaging compassion for the assholes he was surrounded with.

Hoover famously said that hunger breeds Communism, a notion that fueled several very successful aid efforts, but history in fact shows that hunger breeds fascism, instead. I wonder how much enthusiasm there would have been for aid, then.

Would also be interesting to see why Hoover sucked so much as president. Granted, his party shit the bed and staying the course was a historic blunder, but what happened to the guy’s heart or powers of persuasion? Weird.

15. Neo says:

This blawg needs a picture of a cow’s head on a stake.

16. Aili says:

Funny, I read that people in other parts of the world think Americans smell like cheese (they also think that Japanese people smell like fish and Italians smell like garlic). No point to this, just saying.

• The Dark Avenger says:

Butyric acid is found in most milk products, and that accounts for people smelling of cheese:

Butyric acid (from Greek βούτυρο, meaning “butter”), also known under the systematic name butanoic acid, is a carboxylic acid with the structural formula CH3CH2CH2-COOH. Salts and esters of butyric acid are known as butyrates or butanoates. Butyric acid is found in milk, especially goat, sheep and buffalo’s milk, butter, Parmesan cheese, and as a product of anaerobic fermentation (including in the colon and as body odor). It has an unpleasant smell and acrid taste, with a sweetish aftertaste (similar to ether). It can be detected by mammals with good scent detection abilities (such as dogs) at 10 ppb, whereas humans can detect it in concentrations above 10 ppm.

Butyric acid was first observed (in impure form) in 1814 by the French chemist Michel Eugène Chevreul. By 1818, he had purified it sufficiently to characterize it.[1] The name of butyric acid comes from the Latin word for butter, butyrum (or buturum), the substance in which butyric acid was first found.

If you think it’s butter
      but it’s not
      It’s
      BU-PU.

17. Au Contrare says:

Yep. I couldn’t drink cow’s milk as a baby, (and still can’t); but my grandfather bought a nanny goat and that solved the problem. That’s why I’m always butting in. Hey, White race, I’ll miss the cheese and a good many of you,

18. a says: