New Year’s Eve & the Aesthetics of Trying Too Hard

[ 148 ] December 31, 2012 |

New Year’s Eve is the most overrated of holidays. Nothing squelches a potential good time faster than the sense that one is obligated to have a good time, which is what New Year’s Eve feels like. This is an example of a more general phenomenon, which could be called Trying Too Hard, or TTH.

TTH can be fatal to the success of many otherwise worthwhile projects, and although I don’t have the inclination at the moment to develop a general theory of TTH, I’d like to throw out a few illustrative examples:

Finnegans Wake

Born To Run (song, not the album)

Reds

Weddings

The Super Bowl

Compare Eric Clapton’s version of Little Wing to Jimi Hendrix’s.

Etc.

1. JP Stormcrow says:

Buckaroo Banzai.

2. Leeds man says:

All those silly athletes who give 110%.

3. DocAmazing says:

About half of male rock vocalists of the 1990s.

4. Decrease Mather says:

TGI Friday’s

• STH says:

. . . and Applebee’s and all of that ilk. Any restaurant that tries to create a “party atmosphere” by turning up the music too loud.

And, yes, I am too old.

• efgoldman says:

And, yes, I am too old.

And that makes two of us.
        Portion-controlled, over-salted (so you will drink more), over-spiced (so you don’t notice the shitty quality of the underlying food), waitrons who want to be your buddy, (or at out age your niece/nephew). Gakk.
        If you’re going to eat like that, you might as well go fast food and save the money.

• STH says:

“Hi, I’m Chad and I’ll be serving you your salty deep-fried cardboard today. Can I start you off with some greasy lumps? With extra sugary goo?”

My partner doesn’t get why I refuse to go back there (I suspect he doesn’t mind it because they have the Black Butte Porter he likes). The last straw was when the chummy-with-extra-chummy-sauce waiter asked me if I had dyed my hair.

Yes, really.

• Murc says:

You know, I’ve only been in a situation where the waiter didn’t get the hint from my body language and tone of voice that I wanted our relationship to be strictly professional once.

And I simply said ‘Listen, this conversation is far too personal for my taste. I know you have a shitty employee handbook advising you to make friends with your customers, but really all I want to do is sit here and eat before I have to get back on the road. Bring me my food and be generically pleasant, and you get a 25% tip.’

Worked out fairly well. Like I said, I only had to do that the once.

And, yes, 25% is my standard tip. Waiter at any kind of mid-range chain restaurant is a hellish job; you will never meet more entitled customers who are worse tippers than, say, the sort of people who show up for all you can eat shrimp at Red Lobster. You have to do something pretty extraordinarily awful to get me to go below 20%.

• Murc says:

Portion-controlled, over-salted (so you will drink more)

This isn’t actually the reason.

At BEST, you will get a few people who might only have had one adult beverage order a second one. That economic gain is more than offset by the fact that the majority of your customers (these being family-themed restaurants) are ordering soft drinks.

Soft drinks that come with free refills.

Which mean that people drinking more costs you time and money.

And which cause people to fill up on liquid, which means they’ll feel too bloated to order a dessert, and your desserts have a rather high margin.

This is not to say that the food at most mid-range chains (hell, at most restaurants period) is NOT oversalted. It is. But it is oversalted for entirely different reasons than a cynical plan to get you to drink more.

• Major Kong says:

I think they turn the music up loud to force turnover. It it’s loud you’ll eat and get out instead of sitting around talking.

5. Jewish Steel says:

Their Satanic Majesties Request

6. JP Stormcrow says:

Cruises (apologies to DFW).

7. Tnap01 says:

That Flaming Lips album that you are suppose to listen to with all 4 albums playing at the same time, sorry I’m too drunk and/or bored to look it up.

8. JazzBumpa says:

My response is to put very little effort into anything. Tnap01 is setting a fine example.

9. Any work of art or literature that is intended as a political statement.

10. MD Rackham says:

Ryan Seacrest.

11. broken heroes says:

Why doesn’t Campos want to guard Wendy’s dreams and visions?

• Hogan says:

It’s like he wishes she’d just leave him alone.

• rbcoover says:

Well, he can just go to hell. Bruce tried to write the greatest rock song ever and probably didn’t quite get there, but it was not because he was trying too hard and anyone who criticizes that song is terrible.

• Halloween Jack says:

Given that the actual greatest rock song ever, “Thunder Road”, is on the same album–oh, look, it’s the first track!–the notion of “failure” in this respect is like that of the pole vaulter who knocks the bar off after he’s already set the world record. I’m getting a little tired of hearing myself say this, but I’ll bring it out again: anyone who can’t get Springsteen, at least in his prime, I have to regard with pity rather than anger.

• Halloween Jack says:

Some people’s velvet rims are just too ticklish, I reckon.

12. Jonah Goldberg says:

Well this is one thing that Liberals won’t accuse me of doing!

13. Erik Loomis says:

I’d like to defend Reds. But it isn’t really possible.

14. efgoldman says:

I would try a defense of Born to Run, but it will just start an argument, and the statheads will just try to prove their point (whatever it is) with obscure formulas of which no-one has heard.
    When my kid was little, however, Born to Add was a top-five all time.

• Richard says:

Born to Run is a great song. The only possible problem with it is its embrace by aging middle class baby boomers (but having seen Bruce just a few weeks ago, I found it endearing to be among 17,000 aging middle classers screaming out that “tramps like us, baby we were born to run”)

• Uncle Kvetch says:

Personally, I would say that TTH pretty much is Brooce’s aesthetic in a nutshell, but I realized long ago that this opinion is shared by absolutely no one, so it’s not a soapbox I care to get on.

I still cherish the memory of seeing the words “IT’S SO HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY!” written on a bathroom wall at my expensive, suburban Catholic high school.

• brewmn says:

I’m with you, uncle. I like a small subset of Bruce, totalling maybe 3 LPs worth of music, pretty well. But there’s just no way you can make a convincing case that he’s among rock’s truly great, like the Beatles, Stones, Who, etc.

And that feeling that he’s trying just so damn hard to be serious singer/songwriter who can also rock The Garden to the cheao seats is the main reason he falls far short of greatness, IMO.

• mark f says:

Charlemagne had eyes like a lover
        but last winter there was weather, and his eyes they iced right over
        Cassanova’s in the corner and he’s asking for a dance
        Speedshooters driving round and coming down, tryin to hook up with an exit ramp
        Cuz tramps like us . . . and we like tramps
        Charlmagne’s got something in his sweatpants

15. efgoldman says:

The Star Wars prequels. They have the distinction of both being shitty, awful dreck and trying too hard.

16. handy says:

Tales From Topographic Oceans

17. Decrease Mather says:

Joel Osteen

18. calling all toasters says:

Chocolate everything that was made without chocolate before 1990.

19. calling all toasters says:

Glee

20. John Revolta says:

I’m normally a big Jim Gordon fan, but he was definitely TTH on Clapton’s Little Wing.

21. John Revolta says:

And Born to Run, hell yes. What was it, six months he spent mixing that thing?

22. Alan Tomlinson says:

Making critical commentary about things one knows nothing about is definitely an example of TTH.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

23. Dave says:

Surely, blog-commenting on anything more significant that the doings of one’s cat qualifies pretty much by definition?

24. Thlayli says:

“Good Vibrations”.

25. c u n d gulag says:

TTH?
    I nominate Tim Tebow for the TTH Award – for his attempt to be both a humble Christian, while running around shirtless and never missing a TV camera, and a Football God-Hunk, who can run like a faster Larry Csonka, but passes like… well, Larry Csonka.

Let me amend that – The TTH should go to the NY sports media, for trying to make this mucular mysogyinist, who “throws like a girl,” into someone worth breathlessly covering, like he was a male Kardashian in shoulder pads, from the first time this 3rd String QB was flown into NY on a private jet, to meet the press.

Or, let them share the award.

26. catclub says:

Help, by Garret Keizer
    Tries too hard but in a good cause.

27. JB2 says:

- Holiday beers put out by otherwise reliable craft breweries;

- The HBO series “Carnivale”;

- ESPN’s coverage of the Home Run Derby; in fact, pretty much everything Chris Berman has said or done over the last 25 years;

- The terrible comedian who was co-featured in the Jerry Seinfeld documentary about ten years ago.

28. Rhino says:

Hospital food.

Case in point. I have been in a hospital (in Canada, thank god) recovering from an extremely nasty infection (necrotizing fasciitis, in the left latisimus dorsi muscles).

On Xmas day we got ‘traditional family turkey’ which consisted of a 1/8″ slice of mechanically deboned and formed turkey loaf, and stuffing made out of a mixture of bread crumbs and what seemed to be sand.

Tonight for New Year’s Day, I am to look forward to ‘beef Wellington’.

Now don’t get me wrong. I am literally alive only due to an improbable set of coincidences that led to my being admitted to emergency a good 24-36 hours before symptoms would have driven me there (by which time it would have been far too late). I am grateful to be alive and the for opportunity to eat whatever the dreck they serve me.

But why even try? You are an institutional caterer. The very best you can aspire to is ‘technically edible’. Anything else, well it’s just humiliating yourself. Please don’t.

• Bill Cross says:

Necrotizing Fascitist? Do you getthat from reading Breitbart.com? or Jonah Goldberg?

• Rhino says:

Actually it’s the same bacteria that causes strep throat, which under just the right circumstances attacks internal tissues through a cut or scratch and kills large chunks of muscle and other tissues inside the body. The surgeons have to remove the dead tissue, and as much of the bacteria as possible, and try and set things up for antibiotics to puta a stop to it. Meanwhile, periodic new surgeries clean up any more necrotic tissue until they finally close you up.

There are few things worse than Brietbart, but this would qualify.

Incidentally to all of you LGM commenters and the LGM authors themselves? Thanks for keeping me sane the last few weeks. You guys, sadly no, and alicublog were sometimes the only thing that kept me smiling.

I’m expected, now, to make a full recovery. It’s the only reason I mention it now, when I can give my thanks without burdening you with it, but truly you guys have my gratitude. Never forget that your audience contains more than trolls and fellow pinkos, some of us, sometimes, get a lot more from you than we will ever be able to give back.

• Pseudonym says:

The left latisimus dorsi is the Jew of necrotizing fasciitis.

29. Pinko Punko says:

Jesus, Pitchfork of course.

30. Jon H says:

Morning drive-time ‘zoo’ format DJs and shock jocks.

31. Jon H says:

Public TV when trying to attract money from viewers.

32. STH says:

Conservative bloggers who give themselves ancient-Roman-sounding pseudonyms and pontificate in a pompous style that indicates they’ve never actually read anything written by an intelligent person.

33. Bob says:

Ben Stiller. A terrible actor but damn the man tries. You can see the effort oozing out of his every pour in every frame of every movie he’s in. That’s why as bad as he is I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for him. No one who takes what he does that seriously and tries that hard deserves open contempt.
    Say what you will, he never phones it in.

• Halloween Jack says:

You nailed it. His presence in Mystery Men, next to vastly superior actors such as Hank Azaria and William H. Macy, is both a thing of pity and an ironic reflection on the nature of the title characters.

34. Bob says:

Btw – As one who takes booze seriously I haven’t ventured out on New Year’s Eve in several decades – I have no use for amateur night. BUT no New Year’s Eve gave no “The Apartment”, a great Billy Wilder film. Thus I have to give the day a pass on the TTH meter.

35. AuRevoirGopher says:

-The Royal Tenenbaums

-Every actor in The Royal Tenenbaums under the age of 40

-Wes Anderson generally

36. Born To Run? Naahhh … I think to be in the TTH category, there needs to first exist the unreachable expectations. His first two albums were pretty dang good, but it’s not like there was some “oh jeez, this new one is gonna be THE.BEST.EVAH.” thing in anticipation (which, I think, is sort of the TTH part of NYE, a holiday/party the inclusion of which I tolly agree). The song is the 3rd or 4th best on one of the greatest albums of all time. I don’t get a TTH vibe there at all.

37. virag says:

the wake only seems like tth for people who are not the intended audience. unfortunately, the intended audience probably wished he had lived another 150 years so he could get it just right. as it is, more than likely jj felt like he didn’t try hard enough.

38. LazyMonkey says:

Sting. Every breath he takes. Every move he makes.

And especially his version of Little Wing!

39. mch says:

Auld Lang Syne is about loneliness, and about overcoming it through community (the community of now, the community of now linked to past and future). (A quick Wikipedia check on that song/lyrics helps here.) Nothing like a party (any time of year) to emblematize that dynamic.

How many of us (me included) who happily stay at home on New Year’s Eve, but stay awake through midnight, tune in to some simulacrum of a party? Just sayin’, let’s not knock it.

40. Halloween Jack says:

I’ve already vented about “Born to Run”, and I could go on (oh, could I), but I do have to agree with Paul on weddings in general. They’re such appalling spectacles that I sometimes wonder if deep down the participants know that it’s all downhill from there. Also:

- Just about every filmmaker who tries to be like Quentin Tarantino, including the two films (True Romance and Natural Born Killers) made from Tarantino scripts.

- Mitt Romney, who never convinced people that he really didn’t give a shit about them so much as when he tried to convince them otherwise.

- 99% of tattoos.

- Everyone on Jersey Shore, in every imaginable way.

- Modern sweatshirts. I sometimes wonder if occasionally someone’s head whips back in a double take when I walk past them in a plain black hoodie.

- My elderly aunt who has unfortunately discovered Facebook and will repost literally at least a dozen huge pictures featuring pets, Jesus, babies, and/or soldiers every day, at least half of them implying that I’m an awful person if I don’t “like” it.

- Every cake that I see on the internet.

- Pumped-up dudes who drop their weights at the gym. RARRR FEEL THE GROUND SHAKE AS I HURL MY IRON AT IT RARRRRR. If I believed that I had a soul, I’d gladly trade it for one of these ‘roid pigs to crush his own big toe, just once.

- Ke$ha. The hell, girl.

• Leeds man says:

Precisely twice as bad as funerals, because of the number of people heading down.

Quentin Tarantino

Didn’t quite see the point of all the superfluous words around the name.

• Halloween Jack says:

About the only film of Tarantino’s that really comes close to trying too hard is Kill Bill, and I wouldn’t give any random minute of it for both Natural Born Killers and True Romance, although I enjoyed Brad Pitt as a stoner couch potato in the latter.