It Can’t Get Stupider, But It Can Get Lazier

[ 53 ] December 21, 2012 |

Charlotte Allen would like to inform her critics that her logical and factual errors are central to her point.

The only interesting thing about Allen’s response is that apparently Erik’s name has already reached the status as being, in the context of conservative blogs, a cliche whose use is instant proof of lazy hackery. Impressive — I had no idea that Erik could be a game changer…on steroids! (I would talk about people being thrown under buses but I don’t want to be accused of advocating vehicular manslaughter.)

1. Kyle Huckins says:

It can always get stupider. Allen, McArdle and LaPierre might combine to form a really stupid Voltron.

2. MAJeff says:

Allen, McArdle and LaPierre might combine to form a really stupid Voltron.

Guns won’t kill people, but non-profit public health systems providing HPV vaccines to teen whores playing video games kill people.

3. Malaclypse says:

I had no idea that Erik could be a game changer…on steroids!

Academia needs better performance-enhancing drugs.

4. Erik Loomis says:

“The only interesting thing about Allen’s response is that apparently Erik’s name has already reached the status as being, in the context of conservative blogs, a cliche whose use is instant proof of lazy hackery. Impressive — I had no idea that Erik could be a game changer…on steroids!”

I knew I was destined to be famous in some bizarre way.

5. Stephen Frug says:

Dang it, you made me click through to that tripe just to see precisely what she said of him. I resent giving them the hits. How ’bout a block quote of the relevant bit?

6. bobbyp says:

Loomis this. Loomis that. Pretty soon you’re talking about a whole lot of Loomis.

7. Linnaeus says:

The smoker you drink, the player you get.

8. Malaclypse says:

And I have a sad: No longer are DocAmazing, DrDick, and I the evil LGM regulars that upset the Donalde’s sensibilities. The new force of darkness here is none other than, yes, Bijan Parsia.

Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of LGM commenters.

9. Holy crap, Erik’s an icon.

All for using just marginally harsher language than most people.

10. jon says:

“I would talk about people being thrown under buses…” Good God man, does no one think of the bus?

11. Michael H Schneider says:

Allen and McArdle are very, very close to the best response to the problem.

I realized this when I thought back upon a day last week when I was surrounded by four standard poodles. Mine was the smallest, at 45 pounds. That’s around the weight of grade school kids. But poodles are faster, more agile, can leap farther, and accelerate more quickly, and have more effective dentition, than people. Especially the dentition.

The problem is not a feminized culture, or a lack of men, or kids not trained to attack. The problem is not sex or gender. The problem is that we are working with the wrong species.

Everything goes better with poodles. That’s the obvious answer. And mine could teach the kids a thing or two about what it really means to be a powerful bitch (I’m using the term in its technical sense). I’ve seen her put dogs larger than herself on their backs with her mouth around their throats, and then she explains the true meaning of respect.

I’m going to get in touch with the Poodle Club of America and see if we can get a program of Poodles in the Classroom (and, for airborne terrorists, Sky Poodles) in place. As I like to say when people start talking about feminized culture: Tell it to the poodles. I’ve never met a gun with half the brains of a poodle.

12. Mister Harvest says:

So, help a recent immigrant out here. Where did the “central to my point” thing get its start?

• Warren Terra says:

The entry in the Balloon Juice Lexicon is fairly clear:

“This is central to my point”- Any fact which directly contradicts your assertion can, in fact, be made to support your assertion simply by saying it is so. A favorite of NRO‘s Jonah Goldberg

That definition links to a Shorter using the meme in reference to Goldberg; this page quotes Goldberg actually using the meme himself, possibly in the original instance that led to its becoming an ironic meme:

• Anticorium says:

During the writing of Liberal Fascism, Jonah Goldberg anticipated that he might be challenged by people who would argue, just maybe, there was a little bit of difference between 1940s concentration camps and a liberal arts college teaching its freshman classes to obtain consent before sex.

His response, in the book: “Liberal fascism differs from classical fascism in many ways. I don’t deny this. Indeed, it is central to my point.”

• cpinva says:

in other words, there was the (admittedly small) possibility that someone, with an IQ greater than 5, might read his “book”, and point out how obviously full of shit he is.

• Mister Harvest says:

Thank you both kindly!

13. Jymn says:

Perhaps if teachers were paid a better wage, more men would be elementary teachers. Then again, I doubt that would make much of a difference if it was a man or woman when confronted with a madman and a Bushmaster.