Navel Gazing

[ 103 ] November 28, 2012 |

An update, a question, and a prompt walked into a blog…

First, I have updated the LGM “Who Are We?” page to include (in one convenient place!) much of what’s available on the sidebars and on the drop down menus. A link to this page also shows up at the top of the mobile site, for your convenience. Over time we’ll make additional updates, including hopefully providing bios for the rest of the contributors (nudge nudge).

Second, Erik and I have given some thought to starting a weekly or semi-weekly podcast.  Is there any interest in this, and if so is there any format or subjects that people would specifically like to have covered? Along similar lines, would there be any interest in something like a monthly Google Hangout with elements of the LGM collective? And while we’re at it, are there any other features that readers would like to see?

Finally, let me be clear; if you don’t buy something from the LGM store this holiday season, you’ll never forgive yourself.  Your family will never forgive you.  Whatever God or gods you worship will hold you in contempt.  It’s just that important; I already have my new hat.  On the other hand, if you’d prefer to express your gratitude directly rather than through the medium of overpriced stuff, just donate (button is on the near right sidebar). If you feel a deep personal connection with one of the authors of LGM and want to make that connection manifest in material objects, we can also make that happen; take a look at the Who Are We page or the drop down menus for links to Amazon Wishlists.

1. MPAVictoria says:

I would LOVE a weekly LGM podcast. Sign me up!

2. arguingwithsignposts says:

Second, Erik and I have given some thought to starting a weekly or semi-weekly podcast. Is there any interest in this,

If you do a podcast, I would like to suggest that a transcript of said podcast be made available as well. I am not in proximity of enough places where I have extended time to listen to podcasts at present, and I end up missing out because I don’t have that much time for a linear format, when I could at least read through a transcript.

I have the same problem with some of the vidcast stuff. I realize it’s not all about me, but it’s a thought.

• arguingwithsignposts says:

Or at least a good summary.

• SEK says:

The deaf guy in me approves of this idea in principle, but the journalism teacher in me knows how tedious transcriptions are to produce. So I’m torn. Volunteers?

• arguingwithsignposts says:

Yeah, that’s where my initial hemming about a really good summary comes in. I’ve been producing a podcast myself and I’ve been searching for some decent way to get machine transcription to work. Youtube’s video MT (for closed captioning, I just take out timecodes to make a transcript) works okay, but it has to be cleaned up. Dragon has some product that they say does a pretty good job, but they won’t provide a demo. Other than that, there’s the MTURK transcription services, but those cost $.

I’d be down for volunteering to help *clean up* a transcript, but the actual transcribing part I couldn’t do.

• The Dark Avenger says:

E-mail me, and I’d be glad to volunteer to make such transcripts for the podcasts in question, as a member of the hearing-impaired community(99% loss in my right ear) I realize how important transcribing and close-captioning is these days.

The Hearing-Impared Association of North America.

Our Motto: “What did you say?”

3. Thers says:

So what you’re saying is, yet again you refuse to call out the Obama administration.

4. rea says:

Speaking of navel gazing, the blog needs more battleships.

5. Dave W. says:

I’d love to see an LGM podcast!

6. Rob says:

The lack of an official LGM pancake mix seems to be a real missed opportunity.

7. witless chum says:

Podcast away. There’s an Opinionated-shaped hole in my regular podcast listening since Amanda and Samhita stopped doing that. You guys probably won’t talk about dance music as much, but we all do what we can.

8. jeer9 says:

I still think a tee-shirt with the LGM logo and the phrase: Nader makes me ejaculate – and not in a good way! is all win.

9. McKingford says:

Would it be possible for you to list the email addresses of the individual bloggers (at the Who Are We link)?

10. Erik Loomis says:

Actually buying me something off my Amazon wishlist could give one influence in requesting podcast topics.

11. Lurker says:

Is anyone else having difficulty with the PayPal link? I get an error message when I tried to donate. FIX THIS PLZ THX

12. Jon H says:

How about the Naval Tactics For Labor Struggles Podcast?

13. SEK says:

Also, the LGM crew’s meetings ought to be recorded and preserved for history, as they’re damn funny, even if we do spend a good deal of time talking shit about some of you.

14. Barry Freed says:

I would regularly listen to a regularly produced LGM podcast. So get crackin’ gentlemen.

15. I spent most of my waking hours listening to some podcast to keep me working, so I’m a yes vote.

16. M. Bouffant says:

Typed material is better than off the cuff talking/babbling, & who has the time to listen to babble & blather in the first place?

• Erik Loomis says:

I’ve wondered this myself, but people listen to podcasts all the time. Not to mention bloggingheads, which I totally don’t understand at all.

• scott g says:

In fairness, it’s much easier to get something out of a show that has some thinking put into it, and which has gone thru some engineering and even production. Most of which = time and money you boys ain’t got. But your thinking is already way ahead. And good conversations really are compelling in a way that words on the page have to work harder to achieve. So do it!

Plus, it’s hard to read a blog while weedwhacking or fixing a porch. Podcasts give me a chance to keep thinking with smarter people than me while doing stuff that needs hands but not-all-of-the-brain.

• Uncle Ebeneezer says:

This. There’s something really nice about hearing intelligent and informed people discussing issues in a more casual manner than your usual prepared tv/radio segment or lecture/debate. That was one of the things that got me hooked on Bloggingheads back when I used to listen regularly. The tangents and asides were often interesting and fun, and it always felt like there was more room for real intellectual honesty (sometimes people would actually admit that their opponent makes a good point, or that the point was something they hadn’t considered before and they need to think more about) than you usually hear in political debate.

• Sean says:

I listen to podcasts all the time, when performing the following tasks:

Jogging
        Cooking
        Cleaning
        Grocery shopping

Scrubbing the toilet sucks, but scrubbing the toilet while listening to Robert Farley discuss the future of American foreign policy with some other informed-seeming dude sucks a great deal less.

17. SEK says:

We could also play “Scott Roulette” with the podcasts, so you’d never know whether you’re getting me trying to talk about the Supreme Court or Lemieux disquistioning about Doctor Who. Wait, never you mind, that’s a terrible idea.

18. Molly says:

I’m a big podcast listener and would love a LGM pod. Perhaps a format like Slate’s Political Gabfest, but shorter? Just a round table discussion on a particular topic.

If it was gonna be a 20 min pod once a week or something, I’d be willing to help with the transcription.

19. bradP says:

Alright, when I got married I kinda bailed on the whole social media thing. I know I have a google plus account, but I don’t have a clue what a Google Hangout is. Can anyone explain?

Also, your shirts all just carry that LGM logo. I’m not wild about that logo, and even if I was, the logo isn’t prominent enough on your site to merit 100% saturation on the store.

I suggest including some of your taglines or maybe inside jokes on your shirts. Get creative for gosh sakes.

20. Jeffrey Beaumont says:

LGM wooden wall clock? That’s the weirdest item in the store I think.

21. Book says:

I will gladly subscribe to the podcast on the condition that you postprocess so the 2012-quality is not in fact worse than the transmissions from Apollo 11.

So many people don’t give a toss about this, and I just do not want to spend time on productions where people do not seem to care about what their listeners have to suffer through.

I’m sure people hard of hearing in particular can relate.

If I can make an editorial suggestion, either plan the talking points in advance, or preface your podcast with an introduction of what you will talk about, after it has been recorded. Add an index with some time stamps for each topic in the blog posts for each episode, too.

• witless chum says:

I’m one of the people who doesn’t give that much of a shit about sound quality, but I agree that the last paragraph is filled with good suggestions. I’m pretty tolerant of the rambling podcast if I like the people involved.

Topic suggestion: Erik’s written about his hometown occasionally before and I think Farley has, too. Maybe some hometown profile shows, like a more concise, less-stoned version of Kevin Smith’s Highlands: A Peephole History, which were the best podcasts in his vast audio output by far.

Another topic, is Kevin Smith making money on that weird podcasting empire he’s building? If so, how? Okay probably not that.

22. Will Scott L. also be podcasting?

23. Also, have y’all decided which one of you is The Cute One, The Quiet One, and which is The One Who Likes to Play Quidditch?

24. joejoejoe says:

1) I like the Google Hangout idea. Another blog favorite of mine, First-Draft, has chats that are a lot of fun. Conversation can be a lot more revealing than blog comments.

2) I would like to see a series on major advances in naval technology that transformed naval operations. I think basic concepts like range and capability can be illustrated nicely that way. Nuclear carrier groups have a huge range and massive capability but it took 3,000 years to get there. It’s one thing to send a ship halfway around the world to another country, another to have it be worth a damn when it gets there.

25. I would quite enjoy a podcast/Google Hangout.

26. Uncle Ebeneezer says:

If we’re talking wish lists here, I think an LGM meet-up/micro-brew shootout in some major city (or perhaps a tour) would be awesome. Winners chosen by pure Democracy.

27. JAtheist says:

I wouldn’t mind a weekly free-for-all post allowing for general chat but also as a forum for certain users (me) to ask questions about something they don’t understand.

• JAtheist says:

I’d like to note that I have asked questions before when a relevant thread existed–it feels a little weird to jack a thread with a question that was completely unrelated, which is why I have to wait for the right moment to strike!