Embarrassing vote confessional thread

[ 136 ] November 6, 2012 |

knack

Everybody makes mistakes. Maybe you signed your best friend’s high school yearbook with Teddy R’s In the Arena speech, or bought the Knack’s first album on eight track, or married a charming sociopath with a drug problem, or ordered the invasion of a Middle Eastern country on the basis of a pack of transparent lies. Hey that’s why pencils have erasers . . .

Anyway almost everyone has at least one vote they’ve cast that is similarly cringe-worthy. I’ll start:

1980 presidential election. My college roommate voted for Barry Commoner (he is now a subscriber to the National Review). I voted for Ed Clark. What can I say, I was young and stupid. I’m glad to report I’m no longer young.

1. Wido Incognitus says:

You also voted for a Koch brother for Vice President.

2. I voted for John Anderson, and I can’t remember why. It must have been meant as some sort of gesture.

3. Tom Hilton says:

Barry Commoner, 1980. I was 19, and Selective Service registration was the dealbreaker issue for me (I never did register, by the way).

4. advocatethis says:

I was going to say that my most embarrassing vote also was for Ed Clark in a 1980, but then when talking to a student about my first time, it dawned on me that I may have voted yes on Proposition 13 in 1978.

I am so sorry.

5. Big Al says:

Although I was too young to vote for Nixon, I did in 1981 write a Slate/TNR-worthy contrarian term paper for a high school sociology class that was quite sympathetic to Nixon. I seem to recall the thesis being that he was “misunderstood” Truly shameful, even at that time and at my tender age.

I have never voted for a republican in a national election, so at least I have that going for me.

6. actor212 says:

My editor promised that the proofs of my autobriography were secure!

7. Bitter Scribe says:

Rod Blagojevich. Twice.

What really makes me pissed at myself is that I’d met his second Republican opponent and liked her (wrote a newspaper profile of her when she was elected to the legislature). But I couldn’t bring myself to vote for her because I was afraid her much-vaunted “frugality” would translate to mean penny-pinching on Medicaid and other programs for the vulnerable.

Hey, Actor–how come you never hang around S,N! anymore?

• AuRevoirGopher says:

I voted Blago not twice, but thrice, in the primary and both general elections.

• Royko says:

I voted for him 3 times: House once and governor twice. In the first one, I was a low-information voter, plain and simple. In the second one, I liked some of his rhetoric and was excited to have someone from my district moving up.

But yeah, by that second gubernatorial election, I should have known better, and like you, I just didn’t pull the lever for Topinka (who seemed decent) because I was afraid she’d cut too much.

8. Jberardi says:

I lost my electoral virginity to Nadir back in 2000. It was Massachusetts so it didn’t matter, but still…

9. M. Bouffant says:

Never voted for a Republican in my life. McGovern in ’72 onward, until this yr.; Orly Taitz for U.S. Senate (Just for fun!) & whoever’s running against Dianne Feinstein ’cause DiFi is no good.