Today’s Twenty-Six Seconds Hate

[ 33 ] October 6, 2012 |

It’s been eighteen years; we’ve won eight games in a row, each by 17 points or more; the coaches of both teams now explicitly play down the rivalry. Isn’t it time to retire this clip?

The answer is no. See you at 10:30pm, Huskies fans; it’s so much better when you have hope.

1. Timb says:

Uh, Robert, in real sports news, the Reds play tonight and they need you more than the worst team sport ever conceived and played by children need you

2. Keaaukane says:

If we are going to discuss college football, could somebody explain why there are 10 teams in the Big 12 conference, and 12 teams in the Big 10?

Go Ducks! But the Beavers will get you at the Civil War.

• spencer says:

For the same reason Texas Christian is in the Big East conference.

• Matt says:

For the same reason Texas Christian is in the Big East conference.

It’s not, though- it’s in the Big 12. (It pulled out of the Big East before playing a game.) Supposedly BSU will be in the Big East next year (for football), and it’s even further west than TCU. As for the numbered conferences, it’s a brand thing, though of course they haven’t all had the same name for that long- the PAC 10 was the PAC 8 (or whatever) not that long ago, before Arizona and Arizona State joined (if I’m remembering correctly.)

• Keaaukane says:

It’s Pac 12 now, after they acquired my favorite team, Colorado. OK, the Buffs have sucked for last decade or so, but they still have the coolest mascot EVER!

But what I was asking about is why the other conferences don’t match the number in their name to the actual number of teams, as was sort of traditional.

• rea says:

You have to remember that “Pacific” in this context refers to the team’s defense, not the ocean.

• Joe says:

If the Dallas Cowboys can be an “eastern” team, there can be some flexibility.

3. mhaber says:

This bit from today’s Sac Bee might not mean anything to most people, but those who get it will understand why Cal fans are Duck fans today:

“While Tedford headed back to the Bay Area, Lupoi that night zipped to north Sacramento for an unscheduled visit with Cal’s other prized target, safety Shaq Thompson of Grant. Lupoi urged Thompson to switch his verbal commitment from Cal and join him in Seattle, which he eventually did.”

(OTOH, Lupoi’s backstabbing delivered Arik Armstead to the Ducks, so maybe you should thank him.)

4. Jeremy says:

If I were you, this would be my ringtone for the next decade, at least.

5. Scott Lemieux says:

Well, you could switch things up by posting some footage from Oregon’s national championship season. Oh wait, sorry!

6. Linnaeus says:

Woof. That is all.

7. KLG says:

Guess that was before Phil Knight was designing the Ducks’ uniforms in his spare time?

• Anderson says:

Yep. The clip reminds us their uniforms didn’t always suck.

When does the mascot get to wear the new colors? Or does he already, and I just can’t find him on the sideline in his ninja outfit?

• LosGatosCA says:

I’m waiting for the Joan Rivers show on E! about Oregon uniforms on the green carpet, then I’ll make up my mind.

To my untrained eye, the Ducks always look over accessorized but then I’m not color blind.

8. Colin Day says:

Could you provide some context with clip? What was the score before the interception? How much time was left?

9. Col Bat Guano says:

As a Husky fan, I wish there was some long string of victories following that play I could taunt you with, but, alas, I cannot. And since Oregon managed to finally win its first Rose Bowl since 1917 this year, I’ve got nothing.

10. LosGatosCA says:

Congrats for euthanizing the Huskies.

With LSU fading, South Carolina looks pretty good. Which may be premature with Spurrier’s team going to Death Valley next week.

If Alabama stumbles, this may be the year for some non-SEC team like Oregon to sneak through. Not predicting, just hoping.

Could be fun to see a West Virginia-Oregon matchup – that could put the field on tilt.

11. Joe says:

Isn’t it time for playoff picks? Congrats to the Reds. Picked some time to be down a starter!