Paul Ryan: Principled Conservative

[ 27 ] September 5, 2012 |

Paul Ryan’s unwillingness to accept money from the government he routinely attacks shows just what a principled leader he truly is:

Republican vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan is barnstorming the country, promising to repeal every provision of the Affordable Care Act if the Romney-Ryan ticket is elected. But a letter he wrote to the Obama administration may undermine this message.

On December 10, 2010, Ryan penned a letter to the Department of Health and Human Services to recommend a grant application for the Kenosha Community Health Center, Inc to develop a new facility in Racine, Wisconsin, an area within Ryan’s district. “The proposed new facility, the Belle City Neighborhood Health Center, will serve both the preventative and comprehensive primary health care needs of thousands of new patients of all ages who are currently without health care,” Ryan wrote.

Whoops!

But I’m sure that a Romney Administration will remember this and seek to overturn the Freedom of Information Act….

1. Linnaeus says:

The response will be some variant of “Well, Ryan’s constituents have paid into the system, so he just wants them to get back some of that money.”

• “The facility wasn’t a part of the ACA”

“The money was going to be spent somewhere; I’d rather it be spent on something I knew had tangible benefits rather than as a handout to his fatcat Solyndra cronies”

• Hogan says:

If I remember that Daily Show segment correctly, Wisconsin is one of the “taker” states: they get more in federal funding than they pay in federal taxes.

• cpinva says:

not really, according to mr. ryan and the republican party. those constituents probably haven’t paid into the system, since i suspect a very high % of them pay no federal income taxes.

• dr. shooshmon, phd. says:

no no, the response is nobody cares. John Boehner invested a bunch of money in Cardinal Health right before the new health law was passed, and made a bunch of money. The democrats did the exact same things when Bush did the medicare expansion.

I don’t like Obamacare because I don’t think it’s going to work. I think most people are just going to the pay penalty.

Secondly,

“Also yes the “get back what we paid for” thing. Ayn Rand also used that excuse when she went on Medicare for lung cancer treatment. Consuming tens of thousands of dollars worth of services and care. After she had paid into the program the entire time it had existed. Five years.”

getting back what we paid for isn’t an excuse. You want to explain that one sir? I don’t like social security, I’d rather the program be cancelled right now and have them pay me out something, instead of worrying the rest of my life about the funding for the program. Sorry, I’m smart enough to open a bank account myself and save the money on my own.

2. RedSquareBear says:

Speaking as a ‘Sconnie myself, I’ve never understood how such a blighted post-industrial wasteland like Sub-Milwaukee (in every sense of the term) South-Eastern Wisconsin elected such a rah-rah-Capitalism guy.

• Linnaeus says:

I suspect white flight and the racial animus that goes along with that has a lot to do with that. I grew up in suburban Detroit, which sends both Republicans and Democrats to Congress (depending on where you live), but the Republicans that come out of there have been trending away from moderate Milliken-style folks to more Ryanesque types.

Still not quite as bad as the ones that come from the west side of the state. Those some mean folks, there.

• RedSquareBear says:

I am quite happy that I have a 60 mile-wide moat protecting me from Western Michigan. That just leaves the UP to worry about, but the mosquitoes do a pretty good job of defense.

• witless chum says:

The U.P. only recently elected its first Republican congressmen since time began. They generally prefer a Democrat with a gun, given the continuing union influence from the old days and the fact that the region is really poor.

The terribleness of west Michigan Republicans has really been a boon to the Democrats. Enough people maybe Republicans but aren’t going to vote for some asshole from greater Grand Rapids with a Dutch name that we’ve been saved from any in statewide office.

3. DrDick says:

Intellectual and political consistency is the hobgoblin of liberal minds.

4. Bruce Vail says:

Lee Fang is an outstanding reporter. I’m sorry to see that he left Republic Report, which I would recommend to all LGM fans.

5. actor212 says:

It almost seems as tho Ryan is in support of universal access to healthcare.

6. Bitter Scribe says:

I can already hear the defense: “But that money would have been granted anyway, even without the AHCA.”

That’s if they’re feeling civilized. If they’re testy, we might get “So you’re against health centers getting built? I thought you libs were supposed to be compassionate!”

• dr. shooshmon, phd. says:

@bitter scribe

ho ho ho! And no democrats took funding from Bush’s No Child Left Behind Program! ho ho ho! How sweet it is when we forget so soon!

I tell you what, Erik Loomis discovering congressmen using federal funds is astounding, he ought to be a private investigator.

7. Jesse Levine says:

What a Republican ideologue actually does is no impediment to continuous rapturous support from the base as long as he spouts the magic incantations. Pointing out the hypocrisy does not weaken that support nor, I suspect, does it make a big impact on independents, who probably care more about what’s actually on the table, not who else is benefitting from the results.

8. Hey all, perhaps you have pondered to write regarding Developers DSi?