Anti-Union Concern Troll of the Day

[ 37 ] September 11, 2012 |

Charles Lane pretends to care about the children in public schools which he would never send his kids.

1. Cody says:

The issue is: This is exactly the thoughts of most people in America it seems. Everyone sees the salary and says “Why are teachers demanding even more of a raise!? They’re practically rich!”

Go read a CNN article’s comments, it’s very painful. I have a hard time seeing how public perception of public unions is going to change from “they’re stealing taxpayer money” to “they’re doing the right thing”.

Obviously the CTU can’t afford to distribute ads to all of America, but I hope they’re managing some decent propaganda in Chicago. Hell, I’m not sure I’ve seen a single “mainstream” article mentioning that they’re negotiating for pro-student things like class size and equal funding.

• Linnaeus says:

CTU can’t do much about elite media and elite media consumers, but that support matters less than what happens in the community.

• Aaron says:

If you want to attract better teachers to the worst schools in the nation, give them the most difficult work environments, often in rotting buildings, under the supervision of any number of incompetent administrators (who earn more than teachers, but they’re not in the union so it doesn’t matter), I can think of no better way than to… reduce their wages, actual or on a per hour worked basis, reduce their benefits, reduce their job protections, and attempt to walk away from past contracts.

2. Scott Lemieux says:

Look, if we don’t bust the teachers unions now they’ll stuff broccoli right down your throat.

3. Joey Maloney says:

“…to which…” or “…kids to…” depending on which side of Winston Churchill you lie on.

4. L2P says:

That’s not fair. Mr. Lane would certainly send his kids to an elementary school in Chicago that fed solely from an upper-class white neighborhood that always generated good test scores, wouldn’t he? And I bet he’d send his kids to a charter school that had some strict entry requirements and acted basically like an elite private school, right?

It’s only mixing with the common people that would bug that guy.

5. Deggjr says:

The Chicago Teachers Union, 26,000 strong, rejected the offer and went on strike Monday, sowing chaos among children and parents.

OR

The Chicago Board of Education chose to include detailed and poorly designed evaluation procedures within a contract in order to provoke a strike, sowing chaos among children and parents.

6. austin says:

man, the scare quotes around professionals really make me want to punch something.

7. TT says:

Lane is the ultimate anti-eveything-Democrats-ought-to-stand-for concern troll. His railing against the Volt and the U.S. auto industry in general wouldn’t be out of place on Limbaugh or Hannity. Shockingly enough, Fred Hiatt loves him.

8. Linnaeus says:

I’d like to see a CPS teacher graciously invite Charles Lane to one of her or his schools to have him see up close what they do, how they do it, and under what conditions.

• Deggjr says:

Shoot, I’d like to see a critic like Lane take a month long or so substitute teaching gig in Chicago Public Schools. Better yet, teach the full year and publish his test scores.

9. vacuumslayer says:

The comments are scary. Everybody hates unions. Thinks teachers are lazy and overpaid. IN WHAT FUCKING UNIVERSE?

• Cody says:

In the Universe where being a teacher is pleasant, dealing with a bunch of well-mannered and educated kids who love you.

In this world the teachers are PRIVILEGED to teach your kids. They should be paying you!

10. Whenever I see someone carping about teachers being a lot of money, I’m reminded of this (yes, I know Skinner’s not a teacher):

Nelson: Hey, look how much Skinner makes–$25,000 a year! (the kids are impressed)
    Bart: (typing into a calculator) Let’s see, he’s 40 years old, times $25 grand…whoa, he’s a millionaire!
    Children: Wow!
    Principal Skinner: I wasn’t a principal when I was one!
    Nelson: Plus, in the summer he paints houses.
    Milhouse: He’s a billionaire!
    Children: Wow!
    Principal Skinner: If I were a billionaire, why would I be living with my mother? (the kids laugh) They don’t seem to listen to logic anymore.

11. Davis says:

I get it. $74,000 is a lot of money, and $250,000 is not.

• Anonymous says:

Fixed:

$74,000 is a lot of money for parasitical public sector workers, and $250,000 is not for hard-working productive members of society like bankers, lawyers, and Washington Post opinion columnists.

It’s really not fair of you to equate those two classes of people.

• Cody says:

I’m just going to say the obvious refute to this – I’m not paying for their $250,000 salary!

(Although I’m aware this is true, but it’s the right-wing retort)

• Kal says:

No, they’re just arguing that the people making $250,000 are struggling and can’t afford to pay any more taxes, especially when those taxes would just be going to fund the infamously lavish $70,000 teacher lifestyle.

• Cody says:

Sorry, I couldn’t even think of such an illogical conclusion. I think you’re correct this is Republican theology, but I don’t think most people actually believe in this.

If you look at the Union-bashing, most people are upset their tax dollars are being wasted paying FOR teachers. They don’t see how indirectly their tax money is also paying for the journalist and what-not.

• Kal says:

Well, “tax the rich” is a far-left slogan in the US, not one adopted by much of anybody with a loud public voice, so it’s not that surprising that it doesn’t occur to a lot of people as an alternative to a zero-sum trade between them and public employees. The only way progressives make any real progress is if that changes, but we have a long way to go. One of the potential positive aspects of the strike is to get labor voices making an argument for class solidarity heard. But that will affect whether CTU wins as well as being impacted by whether they win.

12. Gone2Ground says:

I heard yesterday that one teacher in Chicago said she was making in the 70s after thirty years of her career.

I think I hit the 70s after half that time in commercial construction and I didn’t have to get a Master’s Degree or a PhD or deal with dinks like WAPO columnists second-guessing my every move.

13. Gone2Ground says:

It’s a wonder anyone goes into teaching at all these days.

• Linnaeus says:

Really. To hear some folks talk about it, you’d think there would be a line out the door in every school district in America of people clamoring to teach. Funny, that.

• Joseph Slater says:

But eliminating their collective bargaining rights, slashing their pensions, and parroting talking points about how greedy and selfish they are will certainly make the job more attractive to talented people considering the field as a profession!

14. Shredder says:

It would be alot easier if we just brought back Plessy v. Ferguson and be done with it.

15. thebewilderness says:

Once the corporate takeover of public schools is completed I am quite sure they will allow some children to do janitorial work as a substitute for class work.

16. thebewilderness says:

Minimum wage laws and child labor laws are gone, or at the very least reduced, if the corporate Mittster and the zombie eyed granny starver win. They will put this government business on a profitable basis no matter how many wars they have to start to do it.