Tony Scott

[ 21 ] August 20, 2012 |

Tony Scott RIP. Not a great director, but I certainly enjoyed some of his movies.

1. calling all toasters says:

I never enjoyed any of his movies until Quentin Tarantino explained Top Gun.

2. Jeremy says:

Honestly, I had no idea who he was (at least that he directed the movies he did and that he was Ridley Scott’s brother). It’s tragic, though. The morbid rubbernecker in me wants to know what happened to make him jump, and also why he and Ridley were producing O’Reilly’s book.

3. bob mcmanus says:

No, he was a very fine commercial director who could be counted on to deliver profitable product and a little more. Denzel made a whole lot of money with that guy. I watched most of his films, and have affection for several, if a slight guilty pleasure.

T Scott has a ton of Exec Producer credits on quality tv, but I’m not sure what that means. Probably ultimate responsibility for costs and product.

• elm says:

I agree with bob on this. If more directors were like Tony Scott, Hollywood movies would be better. He wasn’t making high art, but he knew he wasn’t making high art, and he turned out enjoyable movies that delivered what they were supposed to deliver. Compare, for instance, any of his action scenes with any of Michael Bay’s.

(Combine this post with the Leonard Cohen discussion during the ACA supreme court decision, and I’m beginning to think that while bob and I may completely disagree about politics, we have remarkably similar aesthetic taste.)

4. MPAVictoria says:

Man on Fire was fantastic if you like that sort of movie. Condolences to his family.

5. Scott S. says:

I have never enjoyed a scene more than the fight scene between Patricia Arquette and James Gandolfini in “True Romance.”

• proverbialleadballoon says:

and the ‘nah, it’s not white boy day’ scene’, too. excellent movie.

• timb says:

Hell, that was him? I always thought Tarrintino directed it too!

What a great movie and that is a fantastic scene, explaining how she is the real hero of the movie.

BTW, if you ever get into a firefight in a suite, don’t imagine that a couch can protect you from bullets. Only works in Hollywood

• Kurzleg says:

I can’t even remember that scene. I took a quick look at the cast, and damn, it’s a stacked lineup: Oldman, Kilmer, Hopper, Pitt, Walken, Jackson, Gandolfini.

6. elm says:

A couple of years ago I was playing trivia in a bar with a few friends. One of the questions asked who directed some movie (can’t remember which.) No one knew so I suggested, blanking on his first name, “Ridley Scott’s brother,” as it seemed like the type of movie he’d direct.

None of my friends knew Ridley had a brother and insisted I was making it up despite my protestations that he was actually a big-name director.

The answer wasn’t Tony Scott, but between rounds we looked him up on imdb and my friends were like, “He directed Top Gun?” “Crimson Tide was his?” and so on.

I think it’s a good testament to Tony that people remember his movies but don’t remember him.

7. Kurzleg says:

This caught my eye:

The two brothers ran Scott Free Productions and were working jointly on a film called “Killing Lincoln,” based on the best seller by Bill O’Reilly.

I’m just curious why O’Reilly would even bother writing such a book. Even more, why the Scotts would bother basing a film on it.

8. Jestak says:

My favorite Tony Scott films are True Romance and Domino. Both are over the top in a lot of ways, but nevertheless very gripping.

9. skippy says:

tony scott was able to make movies that were both blockbusters and interesting. and if one of his films didn’t work for me, it was usually because he tried something in his direction or editing that i didn’t go along with–in other words, he took chances where other big blockbuster directors played it safe. i love all of his films w/denzel as well as top gin and crimson tide. i am sorry for him and his family