PSA

[ 79 ] August 16, 2012 |

chainbreaker

This is damn fine beer.

That is all.

1. wengler says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a White IPA. I will keep my eyes open for this style.

• Njorl says:

I just can’t get used to people drinking something called IPA. That’s shorthand for isopropyl alcohol, where I work.

• DrDick says:

I have seen it, but not tried it as yet. I will have to put it on my list. I know they make some other good beers.

• Red_cted says:

I have never had one of their beers that was anything but excellent. If they are still making the KGB Imperial Stout by all means check it out.

• Seitz says:

Beeradvocate classifies it as a Belgian IPA. It’s basically an IPA with Belgian yeast. A really good one that should be easy to find (if they distribute in your state) is Stone’s Cali-Belgiuque. There’s a great new brewery in Chicago called Pipeworks that occasionally makes an awesome Belgian IPA called Glaucus. Three Floyd’s in Indiana did one called Live a Rich Life, but it’s probably impossible to find at this point. Green Flash makes one called Le Freak, which I haven’t had, but I’ve had other Green Flash beers and they’re pretty solid.

2. West of the Cascades says:

Yes, yes it is. I learned two weeks ago that it is also quite good to drink warm-ish while sitting on the beach on the Oregon Coast.

Hoping to find it on cask at the Deschutes brewpub here in Portland sometime.

3. HG Hay says:

I’ve never been let down by Deschutes.

4. Marek says:

Deschutes is some mighty fine beer, and no mistake.

5. marijane says:

Been enjoying this all summer, happy to see a post about it here.

6. Peter Hovde says:

If you like that sort of thing.

7. djw says:

Yeah, I wasn’t optimistic about the idea of a white IPA, but this beer works quite nicely. More White than IPA (although perhaps I feel that way from drinking too many 100+ IBU imperial IPAs), but a bit of extra hop character works wonders for a style of beer that often bores me.

8. Erik Loomis says:

True words, sir, true words.

Again, west coast beer is 15-20 years ahead of the east coast.

• mark f says:

There are few consumer disadvantages to living in the northeast, but I do feel like we get fucked on beer. Paul’s recommendation is available closest 217 miles from my zip code.

• Michael Doyle says:

Agreed, Deschutes is well worth seeking out.

FYI, we got the White IPA on the East Coast as well: Sam Adams, Bluepoint, even Saranac makes the style. A few East Coast area brewers are experimenting with a Black IPA style as well.

Cheers

• Seitz says:

Black IPAs seem to me to be basically hoppy versions of porters. That’s not bad, of course, but I think it’s more of a marketing thing, since IPAs blew up a couple years ago.

• wengler says:

Which is about 200 years ahead of Southern beer.

9. Patrick says:

Chainbreaker: The Official Beer of Vice President Biden.

10. Scott Lemieux says:

The fact that Deschutes is not available nationwide is a travesty. Since freedom was ended by NFIB v. Sebelius, where is the Deschutes mandate?

• Erik Loomis says:

Interestingly, since Southern Tier is kind of like the Deschutes of the East Coast, it is worth noting that while Deschutes remains far, far away, ST is making inroads into the West Coast. I saw Pumking on tap in Seattle and the imperial IPA is pretty readily available in any decent store.

Why this is, I don’t know.

11. David W. says:

Deschutes’ Black Butte Porter is also good and I’m thankful it’s now distributed in Minneapolis.

Here’s another very good IPA you won’t find on either coast:

Black Top

• kg says:

I’ll have to get one of my north of the IL border colleagues to bring me some of that.

• Linnaeus says:

Black Butte is the best beer Deschutes makes. Hands down.

• Erik Loomis says:

I had the Black Butte XXIV in Eugene last week. Which is like regular Black Butte but like 20 times more complex and awesome. And since we all know how good the original is, well yeah.

• djw says:

That was the last thing I had at Chuck’s before I left Seattle. I thought the version from last year, XXIII, was one of the better imperial treatments of a classic I’d ever had, and think this year’s version may be even better.

• befuggled says:

Since I apparently have celiac disease and can’t drink beer anymore, it pains me to see this. They had a double IPA as part of the unplugged series before I moved out of Madison that I really liked.

12. Jason says:

I’ll second the Chainbreaker as a great beer. I don’t know what a White IPA is, but it’s not near as hoppy as you’d expect a Pacific Northwest IPA to be. If we’re talking Deschutes beer though, I think the Red Chair NWPA (Deschute’s winter seasonal) is one of the finest beers on any coast.

13. Linnaeus says:

I’ll give it a go, especially if it’s lower on hops. I’m a tired of the assload-of-hops brewing method that’s a little too common in the Northwest.

• Sherm says:

I’m with you on that, but I’d say it applies to most microbrews and craft beers. I stick with the German Lagers and Pilsners.

14. avoidswork says:

IPAs are always good. White beer good. Belgian style good. Beer good.

• Malaclypse says:

Except Coors, and Bud Light Lime. Those are an abomination.

• Erik Loomis says:

Bud Light Lime.

Here’s an idea. We’ll steal this from the Mexicans. You have a shitty beer. We’ll call it Bud Light. Or Tecate. Whatever. You squeeze a fucking lime in it. It’s not hard. You don’t need fake artificial lime flavoring.

Americans can be really dumb sometimes.

• djw says:

Some people like to drink shitty beer, and I can respect that. Miller, Bud Light, whatever. There’s no accounting for taste. But I can’t imagine how I’d avoid losing respect for anyone I saw drinking a Bud Light Lime.

• djw says:

Wow, I didn’t realize this was an actual product. Admittedly, clamato is less widely available than limes.

I was aware the drink existed, though. The neighborhood I last lived in Seattle was in a fairly late stage of gentrification, but there was only one truly sketchy dive bar left. Every day at noon, a cab would pull up in front of the bar and drop off a woman with a walker who appeared to be about 147 years old. In the several minutes it took her to get to the bar, the bartender would pour a bottle of Budweiser and a can of clamato into an imperial pint glass. She never said a word to anyone. When she finished up around 1, when the cab came back to collect her.

• What blew me away about that was that someone had to make a “light” version too.

• Left_Wing_Fox says:

Wow, that’s a blast from my childhood. My father and uncle always used to drink Coors Light with Clamato. Called it a “Bloody Bullet”.

• Ozzy says:

I had no goals for July except to svruive it. Obviously, that goal was achieved go me! For August I dunno. Maybe it’s time to give up on the notion that I will ever like running much less be able to conquer it first thing in the morning it seems highly unlikely at this point and just aim to walk for at least 30 minutes 5 times a week. That’s healthy and sounds so much more pleasant to me.

• kg says:

subby, I find it hilarious that you love to cite the “clamato chelada”, its quite common in my town. i bought a 6 pakc of that after throwing frisbees for 3hrs and it was just as bad as you’d expect. Who’d ‘a thought clam juice and beer don’t work?

• Sherm says:

And if you dropped a lime into a can of the cheapest beer you can find, it’ll taste no different than a corona with a lime.

• Jay B. says:

Mostly because Corona is the cheapest beer made — not necessarily in price, but in most usable standards of actually rating a beer.

• Bill Murray says:

I thought we only Chelada and the Southwest from the Mexicans. Now this too, I need to get out more

15. Tracy says:

For Black IPAs, Uinta Brewing’s Dubhe and Victory Yakima Glory are both excellent, although I’ve only seen the latter in winter/spring (here being northern Illinois).

16. Gus says:

I agree. Americans do wonderful things with beer that tradition-bound European brewers are probably appalled by. A wit combined with an IPA. It’s a wonderful beer.

17. angry bitter drunk says:

Currently nursing some Lagunitas pale ale. Good stuff. I’ll be getting more, as it’s on sale here for the rest of the month…

• djw says:

One of the pleasant surprises of Dayton is the widespread availability of Lagunitas. Great brewery. Little Sumpin Sumpin’ is, to my palate, utterly unique (I’d probably describe it as a “Wheat IPA” if I had try) and one of my favorite beers.

• Nathan Willard says:

They use something like 5 kinds of wheat malt in that beer (the brewing network’s Can You Brew It took that on, and had an interview with the brewmaster). That’s a lot of work on sourcing which, I think, makes it unique. They distribute pretty much everywhere. I get it in the supermarket up here in the smokies.

• kg says:

Lagunitas is one of my favorites and they’re opening a brewery in chicagowoot!!!

18. steve says:

Thanks for the post!

Checking my newsreader before I go to the little store in town,
    hey theres the chainbreaker ipa i read on LGM, just in today.
    bought a sixer, just opened one up and its a great pur, great looking and perfect taste for this afternoon.

Actually best post ever.

19. steve says:

“its a great pour”

and this new Steven Wilson is
    a nice match.

20. wengler mentioned the poor state of Southern beer, but there is some good stuff. Lazy Magnolia‘s Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale and Abita Brewery‘s line up are recommended.

21. Epicurus says:

White (i.e., wheat) beer? Ewwww, no thanks. And I love me some IPA; just can’t tolerate any wheat-based brew. Please feel free to disagree, not going to change my mind about it.

22. J says:

The Chainbreaker is a great beer, and so is Boulevard Brewing Co’s 80-Acre Hoppy Wheat white IPA.

Boulevard and Deschutes teamed up last year for a Collaboration beer — Blvd called it Collaboration #2, and it was a White IPA and delicious. Apparently both Deschutes and Blvd thought it was great as well, as both have now added a White IPA to their line-ups (and both Chainbreaker & 80-Acre Hoppy Wheat taste very similar and very much like last year’s Collaboration #2).

By the way, both beers are available here in Kansas City (where Boulevard is based).

23. Will definitely try to track down some Deschutes. Looks tasty.

Me, I’ve been knocking down Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA’s, and La Fin Du Monde. Mmmmmm…beer.

24. dollared says:

Everything from Deschutes is great. Mirror Pond and Obsidian Stout are my favorites, but the bitter is great as well.