“As if It Were a Grenade that Was Going to Take Out His Platoon?”

[ 23 ] August 7, 2012 |

The key to the hilarity of this clip lies between points 2 and 3. When you watch the GIF, you can appreciate why Matt Downs takes what appears to be a flying leap towards the ball. But then you see the still capturing Downs in mid-air and, if you’re like me, you just can’t stop laughing.

1. Rick Massimo says:

Hey you gotta give Pearce credit for getting the throw off at all in the face of such a fearsome pass rush.

OK, seriously – funniest thing ever.

2. Jonas says:

Hey, when you’re building a team around Jed Lowrie and um, well, someone else, you have to take your lumps occasionally. Or pretty much every night.

3. Colin says:

Suddenly, my beloved Cleveland’s 10-game losing streak doesn’t seem so terrible.

• RhZ says:

Sadly, its at 11 games now. It was such a fun season…these August swoons really bite.

Still, on to next year, Fausto oh I mean Roberto will be back, and hopefully we won’t be relying on people like Damon and Lowe anymore…or Kotchman if my prayers are answered.

4. Dave S. says:

That section of infield was far more densely populated than the stands; I read that the game set a record for low attendance at just over 13K. On the plus side for Houston, almost none of its fans saw it happen.

5. Slocum says:

Their parents are clapping in the stands, because, in Little League, everyone’s a winner.

6. SatanicPanic says:

That really is the worst play I have ever seen. Short of horrific injury I can’t think of a way it could possibly be worse.

7. Lawrence L White says:

After this year, no more basement for the Mariners! Yay!

8. Jim Lynch says:

The Astro’s will have no where to go but up in their new league next year, although AL clubs will surely be licking their chops on the flight to Houston.

On the other hand, the Giants announcers popped the champagne upon hearing they wouldn’t be traveling there anymore.

9. Bart says:

It moves too fast to understand, but I did like the music.

The empty seats on the first base side I assume were closed due to wet paint.

10. Medrawt says:

I’m not a baseball fan, but I can appreciate this because of the teamwork. That’s what, I think, elevates it above the worst basketball play I have ever seen, which was the product of one man alone. (Zach Randolph tried to take his man off the dribble at the three point line, lost his handle, had to sprint to half-court to recover the ball, comes back, and takes a wide-open shot from about four feet behind the line, which airballs. There was something like 10 seconds left on the shot clock.)

11. Poicephalus says:

Low, for you Dr. Farley.
    At least the Lastros have been to the Series.

While I applaud your analysis of the Northside’s franchise; and vocally support your thoughts on
    Costanza’s club, your criticism of the team-that-is-changing-leagues (and so will be dead to me) is a
    tad over the baseline.
    Foul!

12. Ted says:

I still think they should have left Houston in the NL and taken the Cardinals to the AL. You could really build that KC-STL rivalry into something.

Of course, I’m a Reds fan.

13. BobS says:

You’re right about the laughing.
    Thanks for this- I’ll be sharing it with every baseball fan I know.

14. Quercus says:

What I like is that in addition to the defensive errors, the play included two offensive foul-ups: the initial popped-up bunt attempt, which was about three feet from an easy out (and even a potential double-play if the runner had wandered too far), and the runner heading home when he would have been out by about 10 feet on any semi-competent throw.

They say a great play needs two nearly evenly-matched opponents; I guess the worst play ever needs it too.

15. stevo67 says:

If any play is deserving of the Benny Hill theme song, this is the one. God Almighty, the (L)Astros are bad.