NO NO NO NO NO NO

[ 27 ] July 23, 2012 |

I don’t care how good a deal it is, or that Ichiro is barely a replacement level outfielder. It breaks my heart.

The Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki for RHPs DJ Mitchell and Danny Fahrquar, a source said. Yanks also get undisclosed cash in deal.

1. Darkrose says:

This makes me very sad for some reason.

2. Erik Loomis says:

I just puked all over the rail car. Apologizes if you are riding with me.

3. What is Cashman’s thought process here? Ichiro has been awful for two years now.

• elm says:

He’s an upgrade over DeWayne Wise as their 5th OFer.

• Is he? I’m not a Seattle fan so maybe I’m off base here, but hasn’t Ichiro’s defense gone into the toilet along with his legs? Not a Yankees fan either, so I wouldn’t argue if you said that Wise is still worse.

• Paul Clarke says:

His defence was bad last year. This year he’s looked much more like his old self in the field, and defensive metrics agree.

• Bill Murray says:

is he? Wise has hit with decent power this year — assuming this keeps up he’s likely around as good as the husk of Ichiro

• Joe says:

Jose Canesco wasn’t available?

Are those guys Seattle got any good? I don’t keep track much but whenever I look these days, the Yanks seem to be winning with “who are they?” middle relievers though Eppley couldn’t handle the As.

• Joe says:

Apparently not. Seems they wanted him gone and wanted to get something for him. The Yanks need someone with some pop or speed now. Curious on their end really.

• Katya says:

Actually, the word is that he wanted to play for a team with a chance at the WS before he retired. I’m pretty sure Seattle would have let him retire there if he wanted–he’s basically an icon there, and they would have looked like giant jackasses pushing him out.

• elm says:

DJ Mitchell has some promise and has been occassionally touted in the past. He’s a sinkerballer that is likely destined for middle relief but could be an asset there.

Farquar has been cut and/or traded about half a dozen times in the past couple of years. Teams keep picking him up but he doesn’t ever seem to do anything for them.

• Bart says:

It’s a kindness to the man.

• Dennis says:

Can’t be worse than his last trade with the Mariners?

4. greylocks says:

His Wikipedia entry already has him in Yankees uniform. They must have even better sources than ESPN.

5. Just slap a hat on there and it could come straight from a bloggingheads session

6. wengler says:

I guess the Twins wanted too much in return for Span.

Weird move Yanks. I will assume they just wanted to cause Mariners’ fans pain.

• howard says:

i just assume they’re going to juggle 3 old-timers – jones, ibanez, ichiro – in left, a little right, and some dh, and weren’t prepared to trust 34-year-old dewayne wise as that third juggle and didn’t want to pay up for a part-timer.

7. Scott Lemieux says:

Is that the wife’s cap? I think it needs to accidentally fall into a fireplace…

8. Anderson says:

As a baseball ignoramus whose boss is a Yankees fan, I treasure these updates.

9. joejoejoe says:

I’m a Yankee fan who follows the team semi-closely and never heard of either prospect. A quick search of the Google reveals neither of them are Top 20 prospects so this was more a straight salary dump for Seattle.

Don’t blame the Yankees for Seattle shopping Ichiro.

• Katya says:

Actually, Ichiro apparently initiated the trade. He told Seattle management he wanted to play for a team in contention before he retired, and they worked it out. Can’t blame the guy, and given the fan reaction at the game last night, it doesn’t appear that Seattle fans are holding any grudges.

10. Joe says:

I Suzuki RF … 1 of 2 with a stolen base so far.

11. c u n d gulag says:

I think it was a good pick-up for the Yanks.

Ichiro’s still got some speed – which is the one thing the Yanks lack since Gardner got hurt (and is out ’till next season), and Jeter and A-Rod’s days as consistent base-stealers are long gone.

He’ll mostly play left, but my guess is, also some CF and RF, to spell Granderson and Swisher.

The longer Ibanzez and Jones play, the more their age shows.
    Rotating Ichiro in there, gives the Yanks a speed option, to go with Ibanez’s and Jones’ power.

All-in-all, a good pick-up for the Yanks, who get some speed, and a good deal for Ichiro.

He leaves a team that’s been pretty bad for years, and a pretty tough hitters park, to come a team with a terrific record – almost certain to make the playoffs, and have a decent shot at the WS, and a ballpark that’s more hitter friendly.

He should do pretty well in pinstripes the last few months of the season.

• joejoejoe says:

Cashman has gotten pretty good at finding value in older players. Ibanez, Andruw Jones, Ichiro, Freddie Garcia, Bartolo Colon — all of these guys are cheap and productive. It has to feel good going from decay and inertia to a team in a pennant race, maybe that helps.

• Joe says:

with hindsight, your view has bite to it — they gave up basically nothing and Ichiro might have one burst of energy now that he’s playing for something other than pride.

Bottom line, what alternative? Much of a difference? Does the fact he is a “name” and has some possibility to give cachet to the team for some viewers add a bit to the mix?

12. bradp says:

I’m glad I don’t follow baseball anymore.