“He’s the head coach and chief punk on that Syracuse team…a hundred bucks of my own money for the first of my guys who really nails that creep.”

[ 24 ] March 2, 2012 |

Huh, I had no idea that Reggie Dunlop’s coaching techniques were so influential.

1. CJColucci says:

Syracuse is my home town. I remember the excitement when Paul Newman came through to film several scenes at the War Memorial rink.

• Scott Lemieux says:

Plenty of good seats at the War Memorial tonight!

• Spud says:

Best film about hockey and minor league sports, period.

• c u n d gulag says:

Yeah, it’s a great movie.

But it’s just a tiny notch below “Bull Durham.”

It’s got the GREAT Paul Newman – but it doesn’t have Susan Sarandon.

Though I’d have to give The Hanson Brothers a an edge over Nuke Laloosh – which makes it very close.

• Spud says:

I dunno. Bull Durham is definitely a contender, its a microscopic margin at best for me. But I find it a bit too glossy.

There is a gritty quality to Slap Shot which although it dates it very much to the late 70′s, seems a little less Hollywood’ish to me.

• hickes01 says:

“Bull Durham”, while a very good movie, does not belong in the same class with “Slap Shot”. The idea of a huge hollywood star lacing up the skates in a low-budget movie written by a woman and populated with unknown and amateur actors, its unbelievable. I guess I’m not arguing that “Slap Shot” is better, but that its freak accident that can never be replicated and should cherished in the fashion. Sorry, I get misty eyed discussing “Slap Shot” and Viking epic failures in the same thread. I’m going to the box for two minutes to feel shame.

2. sleepyirv says:

I dunno, part of the point is how common Reggie Dunlop’s tactics were though he does take it to a different level.

3. Bill Murray says:

The best bounty payment I have heard of was in the old ABA. John Brisker was a rough player in a rough league, but was a great scorer. One coach sick of his team getting intimidated and torched put a $500 bounty on Brisker. One of the backup guards said he could take out Brisker, but had to start the game. During the opening jump ball, the guard flattened Brisker with a punch and got the $500 without even a foul being called. Brisker disappeared in Uganda in 1978 possibly while acting as a paid mercenary

4. R Johnston says:

You know, when the NCAA makes teams forfeit past championships because of inane recruiting violations that later come to light, that’s kinda ridiculous, but if the NFL struck the Saints Super Bowl XLIV victory from the record books and required any players on that team still in the league to destroy their rings I could get behind that. Any player or team official who offered or accepted a bounty should be banned for life and have his pension stripped.

Zero tolerance is drastically overused, but it has its time and place, and sports teams placing bounties on opposing players is one of them.

• rhino says:

You cannot strip a pension, that is simply immoral. They paid in, they get paid out.

The rest of it, I agree with.

• Marek says:

I agree. I would also like to think that, if I was making an NFL salary (and I know about the short average career length), I would ask for more than a thousand bucks to deliberately injure someone.

5. Desert Rat says:

“You know, when the NCAA makes teams forfeit past championships because of inane recruiting violations that later come to light, that’s kinda ridiculous, but if the NFL struck the Saints Super Bowl XLIV victory from the record books and required any players on that team still in the league to destroy their rings I could get behind that.”

Couldn’t disagree more strongly. First, the Saints are hardly the first dirty team or group of dirty players in the NFL (I for one have never liked the San Francisco 49ers due to their OL’s tendency to use rather vicious (now illegal) and frequent cutblocks. I swear 49ers lineman didn’t know how to block a DT or DE above the waist from about 1982 to about 1995.

Second, I suspect this goes on on a smaller level more than anybody imagines. The only difference is the Saints got caught. I don’t mind seeing sanctions of the Saints, up to and including draft picks, but stripping the Saints of a Super Bowl title? That’s a bridge too far.

6. Jim Lynch says:

If I were James Harrison, I would expect the NFL to both fine & suspend all those involved, up to and including coach Sean Payton. Big Time fines, and long suspensions.

It seems to me the NFL will have little choice but to do just that, especially in light of the pending class action lawsuit.

7. rm says:

Paging Berube. I told you this on your blog after that Vikings Superbowl, man. I was right, I was right, so there.

(It happens so seldom, I had to sat it).

8. LKS says:

I think it would be naieve to assume that NFL teams placing bounties, however small, on opposing players, is a recent or isolated phenomenon. The league is only now paying attention because it has been forced to deal with the concussion/career-ending-injury problem, and clearly bounties are counterproductive, both practically speaking and from a public relations standpoint.

9. Kyle Huckins says:

Blog post of the century.

10. NBarnes says:

Given the state of research into concussions and brain injuries as a result of playing football, especially in the NFL, I’d say the real crime here is what’s legal.

11. Thers says:

You know that some of those scenes were filmed in the Binghamton arena. Point of intense local pride.

12. LKS says:

If this turns out to be true, then this is far worse than just routine head-hunting. You potentially have a form of match-fixing.