Dan Riehl admits, openly and proudly, that he’s a racist.

[ 90 ] March 25, 2012 |

Not that we didn’t know this already, as this is the man who once claimed that all black kids, even when they’re “pretty young [and] not that big,” are “technically thugs,” but his latest statement welds the deal shut in such a way that no excuse or apology will ever be able to escape it:

As Media Reports Conflict, Why Was Trayvon Martin Photo Altered?

Among a few interesting items uncovered in trying to examine the facts behind the shooting of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin without drawing any conclusions, was that a widely viewed photograph of Martin appears to have been altered, somewhat.

Here is what appears to be the original via the Miami Herald.

The one below has been observed in the media and at forums such as Democracy Now. Clearly, it has been lightened, or softened, somehow. Along with other possible alterations, he looks far more, perhaps innocent is the right word, in the altered image.

Dan Riehl believes that if you “lighten” an image — that is, if you contribute to the impression that there’s a possibility that the person in the photograph may be white — that person “looks far more … innocent.” So:

White people?

Innocent.

Darkies?

Guilty.

Just look at them. They’re “technically thugs,” and therefore deserve to be shot by gun-toting racists who’ve made 46 calls to 911 complaining about “suspicious” darkies engaging in activities such as walking in and out of their parents’ open garages or playing soccer in the street.

I won’t republish them here, but I exchanged a series of emails with Riehl — who’s more than welcome to republish my replies, if he so desires — after I called him a racist for being afraid of seventh graders who were only “technically thugs.” His defense was that I would’ve been afraid too, which tells you all you need to know about Dan Riehl. That he worked for and admired Andrew Brietbart and supports the political theater of James O’Keefe is entirely beside the point, except that it isn’t. He’s a racist parading his denial with all the subtlety of someone who dons a “GOD HATES FAGS” sign at a Marine’s funeral.

And just as classy, too.

1. Mrs Tilton says:

And just as classy, too.

Or, alternatively, as classy as a man who’d allow his brother to die of AIDS alone in a doss-house.

2. Murc says:

Not only that, but to make his post double super extra special, he’s wrong on the facts.

The supposedly ‘lightened’ photo is, as far as I know, the original. The one in the Miami Herald is a photograph OF the photograph, that was blown up really big to go on a sign at a protest. Which is why it not only is dark, but otherwise grainy and shitty.

• SEK says:

I’m stepping away from the computer before we truly test the theory that you really wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.

• Murc says:

… wha?

Oh, wait. Hmm.

The “he” in “he’s wrong on the facts” is referring to Dan Riehl.

Not to you.

• SEK says:

No, I knew what you meant. I’m just becoming so angry I’m starting to scare myself. (The fact that I apparently only watch dramas probably has something to do with this, as does the fact that I’ve only watched old episodes of Homicide for the past two hours, meaning that when I Hulk-out, I’ll be half-Hulk, half-Pembleton. I certainly wouldn’t want to get in that beast’s way.)

• Murc says:

Oh, okay. I thought I’d somehow pissed you off, and then I thought it was because you interpreted my comment as some sort of crypto-racist defense thing.

I take this opportunity to once again pimp Legend of Korra to you. Go watch the Avatar hurl water at people and be a lippy teenager! It will do your soul god.

• Hob says:

And in the same damn Miami Herald article that Riehl himself linked to, that photo is captioned thusly: “A photo of Trayvon Martin wearing a hoodie was used on banners and signs carried by protesters in New York City on March 21, 2012.” OK, that might still be a little ambiguous as to whether they were showing the original photo, or the reproduction of it on a protester’s sign… unless you look at the credit, which is to a photographer at a stock photo agency, meaning this was taken out on the street, since the original would be owned by Martin’s family. And there’s more of the same photographer’s images right here.

So Riehl has no possible reason for thinking that was the original photo… except that it’s darker.

3. Clark says:

I don’t see how Riehl’s post can be racist, Glenn linked to it with any complaint.

4. c u n d gulag says:

How pathetic is it that this clown makes idjit’s like Donald Douglas (American NeoCLOWN), and Glenn Reynolds, look like intellectual lions?

And he gets PAID for his idiocy?
    REALLY!
    I should be making 7 figures a year, if Liberals had Moonbat Welfare!

And, yes, I realize that, to them, we Liberals are racists – because we point out the racism on the right.
    And black people themselves, who object to Conservative racism – they are the REAL racists!

There’s NO ONE more racist than a black person, or the people who defend them, and try to make the country better, and more equal for the races.

Just like there are no greater misogynists, than women trying to defend themselves, and their rights, and the people trying to create equality for the sexes.

WOLVERINES!!!

5. RepubAnon says:

Shorter Reihl: “I’m not racist, I merely determine the guilt or innocence of the accused by their skin color.”

6. dp says:

These minor Breitbartians are both stupid and scary.

7. TBogg says:

Speaking of God Hates Fags. Here’s Dan talking about his dead brother who was gay and probably died of “aids” for all Dan Knows…

• SEK says:

Ahem. No, wait, sorry, I meant “Ahem.” Much, er, better.

• mark f says:

Yes, but Riehl assuming that gay brother that he hadn’t talked to in years died of AIDS in a San Francisco flophouse while collecting welfare just proves how homophobic other people are. Riehl making constant gay jokes proves that the real homophobes are . . . well, I don’t know. But not Dan.

• AGM says:

The cognitive dissonance in that post nearly made my eyes bleed. Riehl must have a skull like a diving bell to keep it all in.

• DrDick says:

Jeebus! You actually went over there and read it? Best go to the doctor tomorrow and make sure that all your shots are up to date. Cthulhu only knows what you might catch over there.

• Dan Coyle says:

Years later, Riehl was fond of saying he made that post because he found out about his brother’s death only hours beforehand.

John Nolte is proud to call Dan Riehl his “friend.”

8. UserGoogol says:

To try to be charitable, there have been times where photos of black people have had their skin darkened and it’s been pretty much attacked as making them look more “threatening.” (Obama in the primary, for instance.) Conservatives might think that you can just flip the idea around and then attack people for making people seem “less threatening.”

Of course the problem with that is that it’s not remotely a symmetric situation. The problem with darkening black people to make them look scarier is that it’s racist. But when you turn that around, it would be kind of weird for the Martin family to want to make their son look less black. You’d have to go deep into “anti-racists are the real racists” bizarro logic for that to make sense.

• Hob says:

I think the intended point is more like this: the photo was altered because, as everyone knows, the mass media in America are biased in favor of young black thugs and are always trying to make them seem nicer (or at least that’s been their habit ever since they got their marching orders from President Black Hitler). Riehl doesn’t have to point to any examples of this actually happening– it’s just the logical consequence of imagining that we’ve been ruled for the last 4 years by the Symbionese Weather Panthers.

• Hob says:

Sorry, I meant the last 3 years and 3 months. It’s hard to keep track of time with all these hippie jackboots on my face!

• Manuela says:

Fantastic, yeahhh faatnstic to be aware that who was 6 or 30 on wednesday (since the start of voting period) at 4am (gmt+1) become 159 and 169 at 11 in few hours a revolution on the list why? No trasparency on vote assignments. Before that happen few votes help to climb the list after hundred of votes don’t move far than 5 position why? And how is possible that artwork that was in the middle of the list remain at the same point when the list revolution happen?Too mistery, form the Saatchi organization no answer!I auspicate more transparency I feel defrauded as people vote for my artwork. One things is a genuine battle , transparent, where my artwork can be appreciated or not. But in this way there are to mistery.Was a problem created by the server? It’s the voting algorithm? or or I hope was a genuine error or that someone can explain what happens in 6 hours to many artwork. I also ask to have the last 24hours number of voting received as to double check if the server registered any vote or there was a problem.It can became the last scandal in the art world without any clear explanation of what happens. It is possible and natural to loose but for the natural way of people decision not via a ghost hand virtual (the server dosn’t work) or real!!!

9. Drew says:

Blacks always look darker in person anyway.

10. gocart mozart says:

Now that Moe is dead, the Breibrats have resorted to slapping themselves in the face and poking their own eyes out. The show must go on. Riehl is Shemp.

11. Besides being a racist idiot, he’s also wrong. As Charles Johnson posted, the (ahem) “darker” image was actually, according to the cutline that accompanied that photo, a picture of a sign at a rally bearing Martin’s photo. So that’s the source of his big conspiracy: a picture of a picture, not an actual picture which may have been manipulated. When his error was pointed out Riel trolled the internet looking for other pictures of Martin and found one of a completely different kid to support his point. I guess they all look like.

• joe from Lowell says:

As one of the more insightful commenter on the “technically thugs”post pointed out, “The using suspects are going to say this is raaaaaaaaaaaacist.”

Gee, ya think?

• in what goddam sense is Zimmerman’s snarl of “fucking coons” not racist?

yes, the ‘usual suspects’ will be calling it out as racist. As will all the other normal, non-racist humans.

• Holden Pattern says:

See, you asking that question is the real racism.

• firefall says:

The question no one is asking is:
          “If it’s such a lead-pipe bad shoot of Trayvon, why didn’t the police arrest him”

No one has asked that question. There are only two possibilities.

1)The police are all corrupt KKK members and are in league with racist Hispanics.

2)They know something that hasn’t come out in the new media. Something that exonerates Zimmerman.

No one has waited for evidence.

Wait for evidence.

• timb says:

There are more than those two possibilities. Someone in your shoes should learn what the words “disinterest” and “lazy” mean.

Oh, and that cops are not lawyers and, in this case, did not do their job. Although they are leaking hysterical things to the Orlando papers

• redwoods says:

Damn boy, you don’t spend much time down this way, do you?

12. thebewilderness says:

You would be too? Srsly?
    Millions of people fearlessly come in contact with black teenagers every single day, even here in terror stricken white mans land.
    I’m just gobsmacked by that wacky projection.

13. Honorable....BOB says:

We’ll meet again,
    Don’t know where,don’t know when.
    But I know we’ll meet again, some sunny day.

• SEK says:

Nice, “honest” editing there Bob. You know what?

+$$$

• Honorable....BOB says:

We’ll meet again,
        Don’t know where,don’t know when.
        But I know we’ll meet again, some sunny day.

• As a capitalist, I’d like you to make as much money as possible.

As a Small Business Owner as venerated by Congresspeople both right and left, I will anticipate your call for me to design your house and your business’ building within the month.

I mean, since the plus dollars are so plentiful.

Thank You in advance!

• SEK says:

You do realize that they mutilate 49 percent of my people at birth in such a way that they can’t ever really not be Jewish, don’t you?

+$$$

(This is to “H”B, I hope obviously.)

• DrDick says:

Hell they did that to me and most Okies in the 50s. Does that mean we are all Jews now? I mean that Mormon baptism thing was creepy enough. On the upside I would love to see the looks on the faces of all those rednecks.

• Honorable....BOB says:

We’ll meet again,
            Don’t know where,don’t know when.
            But I know we’ll meet again, some sunny day.

• joe from Lowell says:

He’ll defer to your obvious expertise on the matter.

Om nom nom.

• SEK says:

You think Jews are the only ones?

Who have a bris performed in Hebrew? Yes, in fact, I do.

+$$$

Plus, bonus round, you haven’t got a clue what I think about Israel, you’re just being an arrogant little shit. It’s almost as if I might, like most Jews, be conflicted about it. So you know what? First:

+$$$

Second:

Go fuck yourself.

Third:

+$$$

• DrDick says:

By the way, if he follows your advise, it will be the only sex he gets all year.

• DrHaverty says:

SEK asks rails on others, writes them emails and calls them racists.

However, when it’s his turn to answer….not so much. It’s so much easier to bob and weave, state things about his family that’s supposed to get his reader to jump to conclusions and when that doesn’t work….simply delete posts instead of simply answering simple questions.

The question for SEK remains unswered: Does he support Israel? (It’s a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ easy question.)

• Uncle Kvetch says:

DrHaverty, the question for you is a yes or no easy question: were you masturbating to a picture of Ann Coulter with one hand while typing your comment with the other? Or are you going to bob and weave?

• Bill Murray says:

Bob’s his typing hand, that’s why it’s honorable. Weave is his hand O’Onanism. It’s horable.

And is do you support Israel a simple yes or no question? Sure you support them regardless if you’re Sasquatch, but if you can see more than black and white, support often depends on the issue.

This comment brought to you by the Mo’ Money for LGM caucus

+$$$

• DrDick says:

Please define “support Israel”. There are many, often conflicting, ways to define that. I suspect, however, that you only mean “do you support everything Israel does regardless of law or morality.”

• Holden Pattern says:

I suspect Bob means “Hates the filthy Arab animals and wants to see them ground into the dirt”.

• Cheap Wino says:

See, you’re not going to get a response because when somebody says “Does he support Israel? (It’s a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ easy question.)” it is obnoxiously obvious that the person asking the question isn’t interested in real discussion.

The Sean Hannity method of debate has no place in intelligent conversation. Try again.

• Malaclypse says:

Five minions

Having minions would be cool. Just saying.

And yet, SEK has not come out from behind their skirts.

Subtext once again becoming text.

• Honorable.....Bob says:

SEK,

If you want to go down that road of ‘sockpuppetry’, I can do that.

You won’t like it.

14. joe from Lowell says:

I’m still stuck on the “technically thugs” post.

The thought of several inner-city 7th graders sitting together on the bus and deciding that the subject of their conversation was going to be politics, no matter how juvenile their commentary may be, no matter how rough their language, would be enough to make me turn cartwheels down the aisle.

But this jerk is askeered.

These boys, probably 11-14 years of age and sitting together, weren’t talking about music. They weren’t talking about girls. They weren’t talking about basketball, or who was going to kick whose ass, or who’s gay. They were talking about national politics. Hooray!

I’ve been teaching in urban middle- and high-school classrooms since 2007, and I am 100% certain that this country is going to have a brighter future because of the way the election of Barack Obama affected kids like this. Their understanding of who they are and what they can be in this society is different because of that event. They don’t think they are inevitably going to be under the authority of the Dan Riehls of the world.

That’s probably what scared him so much.

15. R. Porrofatto says:

Peak wingnut is an unattainable extreme state that defies even the laws of General Relativity. A commenter to Riehl’s latest:

There’s this legislative aide in Tallahassee, and apparently there’s been talk for a while that the anti-gun crowd would concoct some sort of incident to back-door the constitutional right to carry laws. Could this whole Zimmerman thing be some sort of setup, where they point a loose cannon at somebody and see what happens?

16. mark f says:

Chris Muir has weighed in!

(Hint: the president’s the head of the black KKK)

17. herr doktor bimler says:

Let’s see if I’ve got this right. Black people in America are racists because they have this group identity deal and are treating the lynching of one black kid in Florida as if it personally related to them. Conversely, non-black people like Riehl are non-racist because OMG SOMEONE WAS MEAN ABOUT OUR BROTHER ZIMMERMAN!!!

18. BradP says:

I am not familiar with Reihl but what you have linked to lays the case for racism down pretty flat.

I don’t think that his reference to the lighting of the picture is racism, so much as it is your run-of-the-mill obnoxious conservative gamesmanship (which, of course, usually contains more than a little latent racism).

19. [...] to LGM commenter mark f) EmailDiggFacebookRedditStumbleUponTwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

20. SEK says:

Perhaps I’m wrong about your lack of support for Israel.

I’m the grandchild of a Shoah survivor, so your presumptions about my feelings about the Israeli state?

As I said, go fuck yourself.

21. DrDick says:

Have to say that I have a colleague whose father is a Israeli citizen (born there) who does not support the current policies regarding the Palestinians.

22. SEK says:

Plus, because I’m my grandparents’ grandchild:

+$$$