The Super Bowl ads were more important than you thought

[ 11 ] February 10, 2012 |

Yesterday Dalia Lithwick had an excellent column on the lack of actual arguments from the anti-marriage equality forces. This was certainly in evidence to anyone watching the debate in the Washington house of representatives earlier this week. With the outcome not in doubt, the defenders of discrimination tended to wax philosophical, with hilarious results. There are a lot of options, of course, but my personal favorite came from Mark Hargrove, who represents the fine people of the 47th district, describing the epiphany he had while watching a Jack in the Box commercial. Mr. Hargrove is surely not the first person to have a profound philosophical discovery while watching a Jack In The Box commercial, nor will he be the last. The key difference, it seems to me, is that the vast majority who experience such a revelation have the good sense to keep quiet about it once they sober up.

1. Stag Party Palin says:

Mark Hargrove must be one of those Play-Doh & Bacon guys. Or does he just Jack in The Box?

2. Fighting Words says:

Homer: I’ll have the smiley face breakfast special. Uhh, but could you add a bacon nose? Plus bacon hair, bacon mustache, five o’clock shadow made of bacon bits and a bacon body.

Waitress: How about I just shove a pig down your throat?

(Homer looks excited)

Waitress: I was kidding.

Homer: Fine, but the bacon man lives in a bacon house!

Waitress: No he doesn’t!

3. Hanspeter says:

He had the epiphany while watching a Jack in the Box commercial, or after having eaten there? In the latter case, I think it was probably a hallucination.

4. Max Power says:

Who knew the human rain delay had moved into electoral politics?

5. c u n d gulag says:

Marrying bacon?

Rep. Mark Hargrove (R = Retard)

Maybe his Mom was taken a’back because they’re Jewish?
    Did you ever think of that?

Something tells me this idiot’s been known to ‘jack-off in the burger’ when he was younger, and couldn’t get laid with a fistful of pardons in a women’s prison.
    Or a men’s one either – “cum” to think about it.

But he probably went to a different burger chain.
    He would drive up, order a double-burger with cheese ‘n bacon, drive to a secluded place, get in the back seat, pull down his trou, apply his purchase to his excited member, and imagine he was getting a blow-job from “The Hamburgler.”

• John Protevi says:

Dude. Seriously. Get a grip. This comment is way off base in all sorts of way. I hate to be a scold, and I realize I don’t comment here as much as I used to, so maybe I don’t have the LGM cred I once had, but honestly, this just shouldn’t go unchallenged.

• c u n d gulag says:

Ok, you challenged it.

And I’m sorry I offended you – or anyone else who reads it. I meant it to be funny – not offensive.

But I can’t delete it.
        Ask djw to.

Btw – I’m more offended by an idiot like Mark Hargrove, and the morons who vote for him, than I would be at another commenter who may, or may not have, crossed some arbitrary line of good taste here.

I figured a little ridicule, offensive or otherwise, is the least that he deserves.

But that’s me.
        And if you’ve read my comments here, or at other sites, you’d know I’m an asshole.
        But a well-meaning asshole! :-)

• Murc says:

I kind of agree with John, cund.

In fact, at the risk of being overly personal, and please, tell me if I’m being out of line… I only really comment here, but I follow a lot of blogs that you comment on frequently and at length, and you’ve been really toeing the boundary lately between ‘vocal and outspoken’ and ‘this guy is just an angry dick who is out of line a lot.’ The comment at the top of this thread is creepily, and unnecessarily, sexual, and way over the line.

Also, you can write better than this. Seriously. I’ve seen you do it. A joke about the letter indicating party affiliation instead indicating a derogatory term? That is the political equivalent of calling someone on the playground a boogerhead.