Same-Sex Marriage in Washington

[ 9 ] February 13, 2012 |

It’s official. Should the expected referendum ensure, hopefully this time the “put fundamental rights up for a plebiscite” strategy will fail as well.

Meanwhile, in the competition for the very dumbest SSM opponent in Washington, I think I have to vote for Hargrove.

1. efgoldman says:

Won’t the existing district and appeals court decisions stay any referendum? Isn’t WA in the 9th district?

• John Costello says:

I’m no constitutional lawyer, but as long as nobody has actually been issued a marriage license, the 9th Circuit’s decision doesn’t apply. And they wrote the bill in such a way to allow for the collection of signatures to overturn it before it comes into effect.

• Honorable Bob says:

Won’t the existing district and appeals court decisions stay any referendum?

This commenter understands and knows that homo-marriage has failed every time the people have had an actual voice. He’s already anticipating the probable.

2. Spokane Moderate says:

That’s a tough competition. I’m not sure which is worse, Hargrove’s sincere belief that “a Super Bowl ad told me all I need to know about same-sex marriage” was an argument worth repeating aloud or the passion displayed by Shea in his “Ahh, but the tulips, that’s… that’s where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with… geometric logic… that those goddamn tulips don’t belong at lesbian weddings!”

I’m leaning toward Shea, but… wow.

3. The Shaggy DA says:

I had to vote for Shea. “My family suffered from shameful discrimination in the old country, and that’s why we have to protect people’s right to discriminate” is sheer genius.

4. jon says:

I hope it passes. Then all those top, conservative legislators can finally marry their bottom aides.