Pujols to Angels?

[ 42 ] December 8, 2011 |

Eagerly awaiting confirmation on this deal. Tossing it out now for the folks to chew on; my first thoughts are that it’s a good deal for the Angels, that moving Morales to DH isn’t likely to be such a problem, and that Mark Trumbo isn’t really all that good anyway. And yes, Mariners apparently going nowhere.

Will certainly enliven this year’s fantasy baseball auction; several members of LGM participate in an AL-only keeper league. ¬†With Josh Hamilton also becoming available after several years under contract, should make for some interesting strategy…

1. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

This’ll go on the ever-lengthening list of bad news for my Oakland A’s.

2. Kurzleg says:

AL team makes sense, and the Angels sure do need more offense. But how can they afford Pujols when they’re paying Wells so much?

3. c u n d gulag says:

What!
    You mean the Yankees decided NOT to move Teixeira to 3rd, make A-Rod the DH, and sign Pujols for 1st?

I’m a Yankee fan, and that’s what some of the stupider amongst us were calling for on sports talk radio the last few months.
    Yeeesh!

Good move for him and the Angels. As he ages, he can play more and more DH. But, he’s already like 45, isn’t he? :-)

Oh, and the Yanks have put AJ on the trading block.
    Cashman – have fun finding a buyer for Burnett.
    I’d pay his salary and trade him for a slightly used rosin bag.
    But then, it ain’t MY money…

• Bill Murray says:

Teixeira to play third? I guess he did play 15 games there back in 2003, and 85 games in the minors, where he fielded a Hobsonian 0.917

• c u n d gulag says:

Oh, I know!

But you can never underestimate the stupidity of the true fan of any team.

My favorite is when callers ask about trades on sports talk.

Like how they think the Phil’s would gladly take Burnett and a young pitching prospect for Doc Halladay, or Mets fans wondering why the Giants, since they need hitting, won’t take Danial Murphy for Matt Cain?

• Robert Farley says:

But hey, for us Mariner fans that means we’ll get to see Pujols much more oft… aw, crap.

• mark f says:

Comfort yourselves with the realization that he’s been chasing more balls out of the strike zone in the last few seasons and consequently hitting fewer line drives. Try not to remember that that’s merely reduced his batting average and doubles, and not really harmed his other production.

• Auguste says:

135,118,99. .658, .596, .541. 189, 173, 150. 47,42,37.

• Erik Loomis says:

I don’t know–it does suck for Seattle, but it’s not like Seattle is going to compete in 2012 or 2013 either. And how excited will Angels fans be to be paying $20 million a year to Pujols in his decline phase, which he already seems to be entering?

• Erik Loomis says:

Not to mention, what are the chances the Angels regret paying $77 million to C.J. Wilson? I’d say 100%.

• actor212 says:

Is there any reasonable estimate of what a World Series championship is worth in total to a club? I mean, obviously there’s the additional attendance and the post-season TV revenues and all that, but what about the attendance bump the following season and all that?

• c u n d gulag says:

actor,
          We could start with around $80 million.

That’s what the Yank’s are paying AJ, and there was talk by some fairly knowledgeable baseball people last year that the wins that he had in the AL playoffs and the WS in ’09, was worth the whole contract. Even with the two terrible seasons he’s had since, and if he never throws another nose to 6 inches in front of the toes curveball for a wild pitch again.

But, then, the Yank’s have “The YES Network” and not every team has it’s own 24/7 TV channel to fill, so results may vary.

• Jackdaw says:

According to Yahoo the amount is closer to $25 or 26 million a year, making your point even more salient. I’m not sure he’s worth that much even in 2012, much less ten years from now.

The Cardinals are my favorite NL team, and while I’m sad to see him go, I’m actually pretty relieved that the team won’t be burdened with a contract like that for the next decade.

• actor212 says:

So assuming the Angels won every Series for the next ten years, the contract would be a wash, fiscally?

I’m at work and it’s hard to really focus on the details of this contract, but it sounds to me like the Angels probably overextended themselves for no apparently good reason. I’m sure there are plenty of ancillary benefits to the Angels that I would have to figure in, but if Pujols is good for one or two Series wins over the next ten years, the Angels lose something on the order of nine figures on the deal (yea, I’m purposely ignoring the attendance bump in the first season, plus lets be generous and say he plays at his career averages for the contract, the other nine years, but as I said, I can’t be bothered to run numbers right now).

• rea says:

Well, but it’s not just the financial benefits for winning the World Series. Far more important are the financial benefits of fielding a competitive team

• mpowell says:

I understand where you are going with this, but Pujols is no Ryan Howard. I’d expect him to age a lot more like Ramirez. Sure at 40, that contract will suck, but at 37 there’s a very good chance he’ll still be worth $20M. And 2 or 3 year bad years on a 10 year contract ain’t no problem at all. And the evidence that he is entering his decline phase is what, really? That he had one season under his career average? He also struggled early on before improving later in the season which does not sound like age related decline to me. And after listening to the debate on the issue, I am no long a believer in the “Pujols is much older than claimed’ story. The dude’s career arc follows pretty much exactly the trajectory for players of that calibre (one of the top 5 players in the game throughout their career) assuming his age is basically as listed.

4. Morbo says:

several members of LGM participate in an AL-only keeper league.

Good for them, but whar’s the bowl pick’em?

5. rea says:

Apparently, the Agnels are signing CJ Wilson, too.

6. actor212 says:

$250 million over ten years is A-Rod money, but Pujols is worth it. Now, the Angels apparently have made an offer to CJ Wilson

One good thing to come out of this is Reyes will toil in obscurity as the Phillies continue to take the Eastern Division for the next few years.

• mark f says:

The Marlins are still looking to dump a lot of cash before the SEC takes it away. I’m thinking they’ll end up with Prince Fielder. That shouldn’t be enough the top the Phillies, although Philadelphia’s offense should be mediocre, but they should be real contenders for the wild card.

• actor212 says:

Not the way Atlanta managed to yet again cobble together a hell of a line up and rotation out of whole cloth. Contend? Yes. Be the wild card? I doubt it.

• mark f says:

The Braves scored hardly any more runs than the Marlins did. With Reyes and Fielder the Marlins’ offense should improve a bunch, while their starting pitching and bullpen have also been upgraded. I’m not saying they’re a shoo-in but if they do get Fielder they’ll have better than long odds.

• mpowell says:

Well the Phillies could drop off pretty quickly. They’re old and Howard’s contract is going to hurt when he’s basically a replacement level player. I’m not sure there’s any good reason to expect the Phillies to win 95 games two years from now. With Fielder, I think the Marlins could compete.

• actor212 says:

Right, but is “possibly competing for the wild card” what Reyes had in mind when he signed? Or the Marlins, who will need a quick hit on their new stadium if they want to hold off the investigators.

Miami rolled the dice, hoping for division dominance. The best they might get, at least for the first couple of seasons, is second place.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame the Marlins for wanting to do this. The division outside of Philly and possibly Atlanta is weak and the best the Marlins could hope for until they decided to loosen the purse strings was third. Not a happy prospect for a team with that much invested.

• c u n d gulag says:

Maybe, since the SEC is looking into the Marlins, they suggested ‘exchanges’ via trades to improve the team, instead purchasing free agents by throwing money around?

But hey, anything that screws up Jeffrey Loria’s plans can’t be all bad.

• actor212 says:

Well, if you recall the last two Marlin championship teams, they won fairly quickly and then Loria dismantled them almost as quickly such that within a couple of years, they languished in the cellar. Again.

• c u n d gulag says:

actor,
                Unless I’m mistaken, Wayne Huzienga, that great Cuban scumbag, was the owner of the first WS team. He was the one who dismantled them either right before, or right after, selling them.

7. Ken Houghton says:

The Cardinals could have made that offer as easily as the Angels did. But they didn’t.

Anyone else wonder what they know that Anaheim of Los Angeles doesn’t?

Five years from now, when the Angels are finishing third to the As and Mariners, look back on this day. (If you can wait that long.)

8. JB2 says:

Wow. This seems like a terrible deal for the Angels. No way will Albert Pujols be worth 25 million in 2021; he likely won’t be worth that in 2015.

9. Just feel like pointing out that the last 10 year deal for a 30+ year old player really hasn’t worked out well at all, and that player was at least coming off of a remarkably good season, while Pujols had the worst year of his career in 2011.

I think the Angels would have been better off signing Reyes and Aramis Ramirez, honestly.

10. Jim Lynch says:

A guaranteed contract of 9 years and 250 million for any baseball ballplayer is a dumb move.

• actor212 says:

And so the management should keep the money?

Not to mock you, but one thing that I always find kind of funny is to hear people get outraged at the salaries of movie stars or athletes, when those contracts are paid out of the pockets of people like you and me, and so they’re earning every dollar they make.

Unlike the head of Goldman Sachs, say. Or the owner of the team

11. rea says:

These two moves by the Angels are aimed squarely at their main competition. No, not the Rangers, A’s or Mariners–the Dodgers. This is about taking command of the LA TV market.

• mpowell says:

This is literally a once-in-a-generation opportunity to decisively take control of that market. The Angels have been fielding competitive teams for nearly a decade and haven’t made much progress. But with the fallout over the recent Dodger ownership issues I think the Angels finally have a legitimate shot here.

• actor212 says:

Dominance? No. Parity, maybe.

The Dodgers are an iconic emblem of the LA area. They probably make more merchandising that team symbol than they do at the box office. About the only team who can compete at that is the Yankees.

They could give the Dodgers a run for the money but as many Mets fans can tell you, at the end of the day, if the Dodgers field a competent team, they’ll grab the sports pages by the short hairs.