The Gift That Keeps on Giving. To Other Teams.

[ 12 ] May 25, 2011 |

A correspondent writes:

I have been wondering whether the Indians are going to vote Bill Bavasi a playoff share if they make the playoffs.  He deserves one.

I dunno, Eduardo Perez could still surprise you!

In a vaguely related note, I’m very happy to today not to be an NBA fan, because if I was I’m pretty sure it would have turned an already horrible sports night into something well beyond horrible. (Note to the Perennial Chokers of San Jose: I’ll listen to your complaints about blown icing calls when your alternate captain can be bothered to check whether or not there’s an empty net before dumping the puck with a minute left.)

1. Ken Houghton says:

Nice to see the Minaya defenders at the Bavasi link. How did that work out for them?

• Scott Lemieux says:

Speaking of opposition GMs who must be very popular in Cleveland…

• Colin Snider says:

Although to be mildly fair to Minaya, he only made that trade because at the time (June-ish), the Expos looked like they could make a playoff run, and Minaya had no idea if his team was even going to exist the following year. He’s on record as saying that, had the threat of contraction not loomed, he wouldn’t have done the trade. By comparison, Bavasi has made terrible trades with Cleveland multiple times. Seattle: where Cleveland dumps mediocre players for All-Stars (see: Choo, Cabrera, Vizquel…)

• Scott Lemieux says:

Yes, to be clear that trade is nowhere I near as bad as Bavasi’s given the context. It didn’t make a lot of sense for the Expos to hoard prospects at that point…

2. Kurzleg says:

On a sadder note, R.I.P. Paul Splittorff.

3. Murph says:

I dislike Joe Thornton and couldn’t be more pleased.

• Anonymous says:

He was just about the only Shark who showed up for all five games. It was an incredibly tense game all the way through. Not sure how it looked on TV, but in person it was as fine a game as you’ll see. But I did spare a thought for Scott as I headed home with the rest of the deliriously happy throngs.

4. Erik Loomis says:

The Ben Broussard era made this all worth it!!

I realize I’m biased here. And it’s easy to forget the good trades your team has made. But I swear that over the years, the Mariners have made more catastrophic trades than almost any team in baseball (the two Indians trades, Bankhead-Tartabull, the Bedard for the entire farm system deal, the Varitek and Lowe trade). Of course, the two Cliff Lee deals worked out very well, they received very good value when they moved Randy Johnson to Houston, and the Buhner-Phelps trade became legendary thanks to Seinfeld.

5. rea says:

Speaking as a fan of the erratic Tigers, I find it hard to believe that Cleveland’s pitching will hold up well enough over the course of the whole season to get them to the playoffs.

• Kurzleg says:

I’m with you on that point. I’m not following them that closely, but my impression is that their starters are far exceeding what their careers would lead one to expect from them.

• Colin Snider says:

If it were a tougher division, I think that would be more accurate, but the Central is so weak, they could pull it off. Plus, since last June, the starting pitching has actually been quite good; Cleveland had the third-best team ERA and pitching staff after June 1 last summer (behind the Yankees and Rays, I believe). So they actually have pitched well for nearly a full season, albeit across two seasons. Pitching Coach Tim Belcher in particular seems to have changed their culture and mentality. They could fall apart (the Alex White injury falls under the “not good” category of news), but they could make a run to the playoffs (though probably not deep into it).

6. Henry Holland says:

From the Bavasi link:

You also didn’t touch on how badly Bavasi had mismanaged his previous charge, the Angels, from 1994-1999

That’s so true, hardly surprising given that his dad was the blockhead who let Nolan Ryan walk because “it’s easy to find two 8-6 pitchers”.

However, it must be pointed out that the meddling, indecisive Gene Autry and his shrew wife were were the majority shareholders until 1996, when he sold his controlling share to The Mouse. It wasn’t until Disney got rid of the awful Tony Tavares, took a hands-off approach (as a prelude to getting out of the team-owning business altogether) and installed Bill Stoneman before the 2000 season that things turned around.

Oh, and boo hoo! the Mariners have signed some stiffs. I have one name for you: Vernon Wells, mercifully on the DL as I type this.