Non-Starter

[ 10 ] November 17, 2010 |

Jon Chait, formerly the strongest defender of the Catfood Commission among liberal bloggers, sees new data about its inequities and jumps ship. A rare triumph for the self-correcting blogosphere! Albeit often for different (and worse) reasons, this will also be the reaction of most members of Congress.

1. Brad Potts says:

I read the Tax Policy Center’s report this morning and was disappointed.

There is no way this should be less progressive than the status quo (with Bush tax cuts expiring). Hopefully the commission comes out with a proposal with the Zero-Plan tax levels shifted towards higher incomes. I also think there is a possibility that more military spending could be cut as well.

• Murc says:

I don’t have a lot of hope for what the full commission comes out with. IMO, Bowles and Simpson dropped their recommendations early as a way of taking a giant baseball bat to the knees of the commissioners; trying to force them to operate from a baseline THEY decided because they got to the public sphere first with a bigger megaphone.

That’s not necessarily an illegitimate tactic, you play hardball in politics, but they’d better be damn sure it works, because its the sort of thing that doesn’t tend to endear you to people and can cause even those who are otherwise inclined to support you to go ‘fuck you.’ I just don’t see anything remotely resembling what they’ve put forward now getting to 14 of 18, and if it doesn’t it will be a dead letter, just like the Iraq Study Groups report.

2. Malaclypse says:

Yes, that is a logical possibility. Care to make it interesting? If military spending gets cut, I’ll donate 25 bucks to the charity of your choice. If military spending does not get cut, I’ll ask you to donate 25 bucks to the American Friends Service Committee.

Deal?

3. Brad Potts says:

Some things have to be worked out.

First are we talking about the commissions recommendations, or are we talking about cuts passing congress?

Is there a time frame here?

And depending on the the first two questions, I would probably need some odds tilted in my favor.

I’m hopeful defense spending will be cut, and I see chances getting better, but I still don’t think it is all that likely.

4. Malaclypse says:

So you have pre-judged the situation?

Any actual cut, in constant dollars, that passes this Congress – the one allegedly elected over concerns over spending – and you win. I’m not getting into odds, as neither of us will personally benefit. I just want to know if you believe your own horseshit about logical possibilities or not.

Deal or no deal?

• Brad Potts says:

For charity and hope I will ignore the odds.

If you win I will donate $25 to the AFSC.

If I win you will donate $25 to the Drug Policy Alliance, or if that is not acceptable to you, the Center for Constitutional Rights.

And we were talking past each other on the other thread.

• Malaclypse says:

Either is good, so just let me know. I hope you win.

5. DSLR-A900 says:

Tapi ingin mengatakan bahwa ini sangat membantu, Terima kasih telah meluangkan waktu Anda untuk menulis ini.