We… Uh, We Entrusted This Guy with Our Foreign Policy?

[ 32 ] November 1, 2008 |

This, from Larry Eagleburger, is perhaps the most pathetic walkback that I’ve ever seen:

You are witnessing something quite unique—a man who’s about to talk to you while he has his foot in his mouth. I made a serious mistake yesterday. I was quoted correctly. I wasn’t thinking when I said it—in fact, I was discussing foreign policy, and this was in that context. And I was just plain stupid. And if I have given the flim-flam artist Barack Obama some success with this, I am deeply apologetic. I did not intend it.

In fact, if you look at this carefully, on the question of experience for example, Sarah Palin has been a governor, she has executive ability, she knows energy issues. Now you tell me what Barack Obama has ever done in the way of executive business, doing anything in the executive field. He has been in the Senate for some two years and he has been there half of the time and seldom votes on issues.

I’m sorry, I made a terrible mistake.

Should have claimed that you were off your meds, Larry.

1. biscuits says:

The facade is collapsing all around them.

2. biscuits says:

The facade is collapsing all around them.

3. Walt says:

I don’t get why Eagleburger walked it back. The McCain campaign already has the stench of death around it. What are they going to do, not name him Secretary of State when they play the game “White House” in McCain’s garage come next January?

4. Walt says:

5. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

I had the opportunity to meet Larry Eagleburger about nine years ago. Two of the things that most struck me about him was that he has a tendency to say whatever pops into his mind (however inappropriate) and he really, really likes John McCain.
    Those attributes help explain this particular mess.

6. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

Those attributes help explain this particular mess.

7. bobbyp says:

Walt,
    Somebody threatened to cut off his wingnut welfare, and Eagleburger folded like a cheap suitcase.
    The post election game in McCain’s garage may be irrelevant, but the players will be well paid nonetheless.

8. bobbyp says:

Walt,

9. elbrucce says:

That’s a pretty clever way for Eagleburger to call bullshit on those assholes.

10. elbrucce says:

That’s a pretty clever way for Eagleburger to call bullshit on those assholes.

11. jon says:

He’s wishing he had meds to be on. Sometimes honesty is very inconvenient.

12. jon says:

He’s wishing he had meds to be on. Sometimes honesty is very inconvenient.

13. cleter says:

Yeah, I think the over-the-top retraction was a way of sticking it to them once again. His wingnut welfare was probably threatened, so he had to do damage control, but it’s so over-the-top that it kept the whole issue in the news even longer.
    Mittens is probably mad at the walk-back. He had probably already commissioned an ad for 2012 using the original Eagleburger quote, cuz the GOP ’12 candidates will be clinging even more desperately to the moldering corpse of Reagan, and having a Reagan official criticizing your opponent is pure gold. Oh, well. Better luck next time, Mittens.

14. cleter says:

15. Mike says:

Two interesting things about the McCain portion of that clip:
    1. He looks relaxed and confident, not angry at all.
    2. He spreads the meme that to know Palin in to have every confidence in her.

16. Mike says:

Two interesting things about the McCain portion of that clip:
    1. He looks relaxed and confident, not angry at all.
    2. He spreads the meme that to know Palin in to have every confidence in her.

17. Cass says:

“He spreads the meme that to know Palin in to have every confidence in her.”
    What a pity, then, that there isn’t time for her to become fast friends with every eligible voter in America; that way we could judge her qualifications, the same way we’ve judged the qualifications of every other vice-presidential candidate in history. But in times like this its necessary to refer back to the Conservative guidebook, which tells us on page one: the job of Heroic Leader is to judge and decide; your job, as Patriotic Citizen, is simply to trust in and submit to the judgements and decisions of Heroic Leader.

18. Cass says:

“He spreads the meme that to know Palin in to have every confidence in her.”

19. Did John DiIulio ever escape his wingnut reeducation camp?

20. Did John DiIulio ever escape his wingnut reeducation camp?

21. Thlayli says:

He has been in the Senate for some two years…
    ITYM “four years”.
    HTH. HAND.
    Dumbass.

22. Thlayli says:

He has been in the Senate for some two years…
    ITYM “four years”.
    HTH. HAND.
    Dumbass.

23. ThresherK says:

Do we have a scale of descriptors for these?
    Eagleburger is at the “I walked into the door, officer” level.

24. ThresherK says:

Do we have a scale of descriptors for these?
    Eagleburger is at the “I walked into the door, officer” level.

25. Mike G says:

Left unsaid is McSame’s executive experience — none, unless you count the do-nothing squadron commander job they parked him in while awaiting retirement from the Navy.
    Or the Chimp’s executive experience of running several companies into the ground and being bailed out by his father’s cronies.

26. Mike G says:

27. Oberon says:

As walkbacks go, I’d says its more admirable than pathetic.
    Usually these guys blame someone else or pretend they didn’t say what they clearly said. At least Eaglerburger admits he was quoted correctly and tells us he was “just plain stupid”.

28. Oberon says:

As walkbacks go, I’d says its more admirable than pathetic.

29. Jason says:

“I wasnit thinking when I said itoin fact, I was discussing foreign policy, and this was in that context. And I was just plain stupid.”
    Funny how the truth jumps out when you are frank about one’s analysis and not trying to ingratiate yourself with the Repub institutions. I think bobbyp is right, someone reminded him of all the conservative institutions who may take McCain’s loss out on him and then how does he butter his bread until retirement?
    Shame. I thought moderate Repubs were getting some sense and humility.

30. Jason says:

Shame. I thought moderate Repubs were getting some sense and humility.

31. Tom Hilton says:

We… Uh, We Entrusted This Guy with Our Foreign Policy?
    There are plenty of other, even better reasons why Lawrence of Serbia should never have been allowed within restraining-order’s distance of foreign policy.

32. Tom Hilton says:

We… Uh, We Entrusted This Guy with Our Foreign Policy?