Dude, that’s Harsh

[ 12 ] October 31, 2008 |

Ouch:

Asked by the host whether Palin could step in during a time of crisis, [Lawrence] Eagleburger reverted to sarcasm before leveling the harsh blow.

“It is a very good question,” he said, pausing a few seconds, then adding with a chuckle: “I’m being facetious here. Look, of course not.”

Eagleburger explained: “I don’t think at the moment she is prepared to take over the reigns [sic] of the presidency. I can name for you any number of other vice presidents who were not particularly up to it either. So the question, I think, is can she learn and would she be tough enough under the circumstances if she were asked to become president, heaven forbid that that ever takes place?

“Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be [pause] adequate. I can’t say that she would be a genius in the job. But I think she would be enough to get us through a four year… well I hope not… get us through whatever period of time was necessary. And I devoutly hope that it would never be tested.”

Why do Barack Obama and his surrogates have to be so cruel? Obama should call up Larry Eagleburger and say “Thanks, but no thanks for the support you’ve given my campaign thus far.” That’s the only way to deal with out-of-control campaign surrogates who stray off message. Seriously, can you imagine a McCain surrogate saying something like that?

1. Jason says:

Well at least John McCain remembered his name on Beat the Press. But come on, isn’t it refreshing to meet a conservative who not only understands reality but is willing to admit it and discuss the issue sanely? I tell you plainly, sir, there are far too few conservatives like that. I welcome the fact that there are conservatives who understand their party has a serious problem. At least they can be dealt with as serious people.

2. ploeg says:

Of course Palin could step in during a time of crisis. Just give her a bullhorn, a flight suit, and a pile of rubble, and she could insinuate that Democrats are unpatriotic with the best of them.

3. Jude says:

Attention media types: It’s “reins,” not “reigns.”
    Grab a dictionary, ya dumb bastards.
    Note that, of course, this rant does not apply to the fine contributors to LGM.
    But this is the third time this week that I’ve seen that misspelling. I suppose I can understand the confusion after the last eight years of Imperial Presidency, but it still bugs me.

4. rea says:

As a former member of the Spanish Air Force once explained to me, the reigns in Spain fall mainly on the planes.

5. Jeff says:

The “rein/reign” thing is an example of a relatively new kind of typo, what I call “spellcheck errors”, made by writers just accepting spelling corrections without reviewing them. Other variants include “your/you’re” and “there/their/they’re”.
    Check you’re spellchecking, folks! ;-)
    BTW Rob, your (not you’re) last para seems to imply that you think Larry the E is an Obama surrogate. He’s not.

6. Rob says:

Jeff,
    Dat’s da joke…

7. dr. doctrine says:

“adequate” As in, my wife says 14% of our sex was nearly, 86% well below… also describes her feelings about my clarity of purpose and understanding of my pundit pulpit.

8. Lee says:

Stanch/staunch is my new pet peeve.
    And it’s nice to see this cycle that their are some intelligent conservatives left. I had written them off as having gone extinct in 2004 after a fairly protracted period of endangered species-hood.
    I’ve almost never agreed with conservatives on most issues, but at least I understood that their arguments were genuine. But since about the time W was elected, conservatives and their philosophy seem to be summed up best by Gollum “We hates them.” And not much more.

9. mds says:

she could insinuate that Democrats are unpatriotic with the best of them.
    Well, at least that would be dialing it back a bit from the campaign trail.

10. Steve says:

As if Lawrence Fucking Eagleburger had anything worthwhile to contribute on any fucking topic whatsoever in our National Political Discourse.

11. jpoff says:

A picture is worth a thousand words and you should have included the picture of Eagleburger from the link.
    Priceless

12. hoser says:

Lee writes: “Stanch/staunch is my new pet peeve.”
    And goes on to write: “…their are some intelligent conservatives….”