The Convention

[ 21 ] August 27, 2008 |

The roommate just commandeered the remote and switched the TV off the convention and onto Rachel Ray. I’m not sure it’s not an improvement. The only way I can watch the Democratic Conventions without freaking out is to repeat over and over again that I’m not the target audience for this and someone somewhere surely knows what they’re doing. I guess this “ordinary people as political props” thing must actually work, but I find it really annoying myself.

One thought: everyone’s talking way too much about energy policy. It’s too defensive. Instead, hammer away at pocketbook issues here you have an edge.

I sure hope Clinton can successfully do the 17 different mutually contradictory things the CNN buffoons keep saying she absolutely has to do.

1. John says:

Check out McCain’s dismal record on energy in the Senate.

2. TheDeadlyShoe says:

Kennedy’s speech was the only watchable part yesterday imho.
    *shrugs*
    i think speeches in general work terribly on television.

3. Ed Marshall says:

They keep flipping back to some dumb ass holding a Hillary sign upside down on MSNBC.

4. matthew mckeon says:

Michelle Obama’s speech was very good.

5. Ed Marshall says:

You can tell the guy sitting at the controls is scanning the cameras looking for someone looking pissy about Hillary vs. Obama to cut to.

6. Jon H says:

“Too much about energy policy? I didn’t watch it, but that doesn’t sound too bad (except I’m sure it was done defensively and focusing on drilling).”
    The problem IMHO is that it’s fighting yesterday’s battles rather than opening new fronts and trying to push the debate onto new topics that are favorable to Dems and not favorable to the GOP.
    I think people have relaxed about energy a bit because the price of gas isn’t rising inexorably with no end in sight.

7. John says:

FWIW, I thought Clinton’s speech was quite good, and Schweitzer was pretty funny.

8. Ed Marshall says:

Did the change up on the signs from Hillary to Unity have a certain distinct flavor of Socialist Realism or am I reaching there.

9. djw says:

Why watching on C-Span is good: no CNN talking heads, but you do get the complete lunatics who call into c-span. The last caller voiced concern that neither of the major party candidates are worth supporting because they won’t repeal the 17th amendment.

10. djw says:

I assume he was mixing up 16 and 17, but who knows.

11. Mike says:

Or maybe the 18th? A lot of them sound drunk to me.

12. Erik says:

I don’t know–Rachel Ray is incredibly loathsome.

13. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

Even the Republican Convention is better than Rachel Ray….Yummers!

14. james says:

given the recent revelations that julia child was a spy, i think that it might be time to revisit the rachael ray/dunkin donuts keffiyeh kerfuffle. she is not to be trusted.

15. Joe says:

There’s always baseball. Two of three games on locally came out the right way. One announcer was overly annoying getting excited that the local team (again) blew it late.
    Sasha was cute. I figured, end things on an up note.

16. Jon H says:

John wrote: “Yes, we sure can see a problem through to the end, eh? Out of sight, out of mind!”
    Policy doesn’t get enacted in a campaign.
    Keep the ideas that are valuable, for enactment later, but as the campaign goes on, focus on issues that are current and favorable to you.
    Otherwise, voters are going to be all “Yeah, you told us that last month. We heard you then. Are you going to keep harping on that, or are you going to talk about things that are worrying us *now*? Why are you talking about gas when, if you haven’t noticed, the financial system is still in the process of eating itself and foreclosures are off the chart?”

17. slag says:

everyone’s talking way too much about energy policy. Instead, hammer away at pocketbook issues here you have an edge.
    I honestly couldn’t disagree with this statement more. Democrats desperately need to take back control of this topic, and to assume that it’s at all separate from “pocketbook issues” is absurd. I, for one, was glad to hear it.
    I’m so sick of Democrats complaining about the Democratic Party right now I could puke. If you disagree with policy, fine, so make your case. If you disagree with style, STFU, because you’re doing nothing but giving the establishment press more excuse to bash the party.

18. Fats Durston says:

a certain distinct flavor of Socialist Realism or am I reaching there.
    Reaching. If you get fifty-foot murals of apple-cheeked Wal-Mart greeters as an American flag billows in the background, then you can start worrying.

19. rea says:

i think speeches in general work terribly on television.
    In particular, speaches shouted over a microphone to a tumlmutuous convention floor sound hysterical on tv with the crowd noise damped way down. And the quality of public speaking on display is rather abyssmal–about what you’d get if you pick a bunch of people at random off the street. Isn’t public speaking a job skill for politicians?

20. Incontinentia Buttocks says:

Isn’t public speaking a job skill for politicians?
    Yes, but under our system of government, private speaking to major donors is a more valuable one.

21. strategichamlet says:

“Why watching on C-Span is good”
    I probably spend more time on C-Span 2 than any other channel. Book TV is almost always illuminating.
    “complete lunatics who call into c-span”
    Yes. Onetime when I was watching three straight callers (one from the liberal line, one from the independent line, and one from the conservative line) called Michael Ledeen some variant of a “dirty jew.” Makes you wonder what side you’re on sometimes.