The grim reaping begins

[ 79 ] May 30, 2008 |

Verbatim Ferraro:

As for Reagan Democrats, how Clinton was treated is not their issue. They are more concerned with how they have been treated. Since March, when I was accused of being racist for a statement I made about the influence of blacks on Obama’s historic campaign, people have been stopping me to express a common sentiment: If you’re white you can’t open your mouth without being accused of being racist. They see Obama’s playing the race card throughout the campaign and no one calling him for it as frightening. They’re not upset with Obama because he’s black; they’re upset because they don’t expect to be treated fairly because they’re white. It’s not racism that is driving them, it’s racial resentment. And that is enforced because they don’t believe he understands them and their problems. That when he said in South Carolina after his victory “Our Time Has Come” they believe he is telling them that their time has passed.

Slightly Longer Ferraro:

1. Anonymous says:

Barack’s campaign, post racial? You jest! African Americans are voting for Barack Obama at a rate of over 80%. If whites were to vote for a white candidate at that rate, while Obama was a candidate, the hue and cry of racism would be deafening. One can not credibly assert that this is a “post-racial” election. Even statements of fact, if they are about race and are uttered by Clinton or her opponents, are decried as racist. Statements about race that deserve ligitimate consideration are, if they are uttered by Clinton or her supporters, decried as racist.
    The Obama campaign is “post-racial” only in the sense that large numbers of non-blacks have supported him. But the Obama campaign itself, and particularly the Obama supporters, can not be said to be post-racial one wit, since at every opportunity they cry racism. How, exactly, can that be “post-racial?”
    Far too many Obama supporters are intellecual hypocrites with little abiltity engage in an objective assessment of the canditates. Oh, and far, far, too many are political bullies to boot.

2. wmac says:

As always, what a great blog you all have going here. Rock star grade commenters! Mostly literate (until I dropped in)- even the anti- Clinton/Obama screeds are almost readable.

3. DocAmazing says:

Anonymous–
    White people do vote for white candidates at levels exceeding 80%. Indeed, in a number of elections, black people have voted for a white candidate at levels exceeding 80%.
    Ah, but it’s only racism if a non-white person engages in it, right?

4. LWM says:

Bush’s approval rating are in the sub-basement. 80% of the electorate thinks the country is on the wrong track. About that % thinks Iraq was a mistake. A two year old could make the case that a McCain presidency is a third Bush term and Dems don’t even need one southern state to take the WH, and yet some people have the nerve to say that Obama can’t beat McCain in November, either because they are GOP trolls or just Democrats who care more about their candidate than anything else. Considering all that, if Americans are that prejudiiced and stupid, perhaps they deserve 8 more years of Bush.

5. spencer says:

Yeah, both Jim Carrey and Ernest say it’s really traumatizing having to play a stereotypical white moron.
    The actor who played Ernest P. Worrel was Jim Varney.
    I didn’t even have to look that up. Whatever that says about me, I am sure it can’t be good.

6. aimai says:

Anonymous you fucking moron whites historically vote for white candidates in number approaching 100 percent and no one says boo–because there are usually only white candidates. And blacks historically vote for the exact same white candidates because that’s all that’s on offer. YOu might as well accuse all staunch democrats voting for Gore of really being jews because they also voted for lieberman as well and 100 percent of democrats voting for the democratic candidate were voting for a ticket with a jew! Incredible, the whole democratic party is made up of zionists.
    aimai

7. Gonads says:

Ferraro is right. Obama is going to lose heavily in November, if Hillary doesn’t come back(still possible). Obama has been foisted on the public by the media punditry to rush to explain any of his flaws.
    Obama has beaten Clinton in the only actual contest thus far, so I’m not too worried about November.
    I think this is because the media supported going to Iraq so strongly; now they can assuage that by supporting someone who was notionally against it(he wasn’t in the senate to have to face a tough pre-election vote on the matter).
    chris

I find the media somewhat reticent about examining their shortcomings wrt their cheerleading for Iraq, don’t you? That pokes a bit of a hole in your thesis.
    And telling someone to go fuck themselves for presenting their opinion is totally classless
    Steve

don’t sweat it too hard … chris posted a series of counterfactual and unsupported assertions and theories … nothing important.

8. Anonymous says:

Doc Amazing,
    More intellectial dishonesty. You avoided dealing with my argument and instead tried to rebut a claim I did not make.
    I never said blacks never voted for white candidates at that rate since that would be categorically ridiculous given that no black candidate has ever been as viable as Obama is today. That is, there was never anyone else to vote for BUT a white candidate.
    Jeeze.

9. DocAmazing says:

Anonymous–
    I’m sorry, I was unaware the you had an argument. The post that you dumped was mere ranting about the “racism” of Obama supporters.
    Would you be so kind as to restate your actual argument, in short, declarative sentences?

10. Anonymous says:

Aimai,
    Your post was both beautiful and sad. Beautiful in it’s irony. You support my thesis, by example, beautfully.
    Sad because, well, I’ll just say it’s self evident.

11. DocAmazing says:

Oh, and do try to give us an argument that doesn’t hang on Jeremiah Wright or Michelle Obama.

12. Anonymous says:

Doc Amazing,
    For your information, I think Obama would make a very fine president. I think Hillary would as well.
    As for restating my argument, I’m afraid that if you were unable to discern my argument from my original post, a restatement of the argument will not help you.

13. Anonymous says:

Doc Amazing,
    For you information, I think Obama would make a very fine president. I think Hillary would as well.

14. DocAmazing says:

Good thing you said it twice. It was without point once; by the second time, it became a sort of koan.

15. ignobility says:

Wow! Here we go again.
    1) Ferraro says that whites are afraid they won’t be treated fairly if Obama is elected President. If that’s not racist, will someone please define racism for me?
    2) Obama is being foisted on the public by a repentent media? What planet do you live on, Chris? I guess that’s why we were treated to a gazillion viewings of the Rev. Wright video, yeah?
    3) Where is all the dissing on Clinton? Can no one say anything about a Clinton supporter w/o being accused of panning Clinton?
    4) Ferraro drives a Ferrari.
    That’s all.

16. Ed Whitson says:

Wah! Clinton won’t quit! Wah! Clinton won’t quit! Wah! Clinton is a meany!
    Someone give the Obama babies their bottles.

17. rasta says:

What I want to know is does Ferrero drive a Camero or a Fiero?
    Neither. She’s a Canyonero fangrrl.

18. Gonads says:

Someone give the Obama babies their bottles.
    Ed Whitson

why? he won.

19. Anonymous says:

Ignoble:
    1) How, exactly, IS that racist?
    Ferraro: “people have been stopping me to express a common sentiment: If you’re white you can’t open your mouth without being accused of being racist.”
    Ferraro is now, too, a racist? For talking about what people have been telling her? Doesn’t the fact that you are calling her a racist for this just validate the exact perception she is talking about? Can the truth be racist?
    2)That Obama has any negative press at all does not mean that the press hasn’t been preferential to Obama.(Those Wright video’s SHOULD have been brought to the public’s attention. Wright was an important man to Obama and Obama also made clear early on that one’s spirituality was a ligitimate topic for public discussion.)
    3) You are intentionally trying to be ironic, right? If not, see #1 above.

20. Is Our Children Learnin? says:

Sure she’s not a Bensonhurst Eye-talian? Those motherf’ers are about the most racist ppl in America

21. matthew mckeon says:

We’ve lost over 4000 dead in Iraq. The economy has got problems, the environment’s a concern, and the current administration screwed up the country as well as the basic structure of the government seven ways to Sunday. We better start thinking about what’s inside a candidate’s mind, and less about what the outside looks like.
    I’m sick of this crap, this bullshit we have in election season instead of what’s really at stake. It’s the same crap we’ve been putting up with for decades now.

22. seeker6079 says:

Permit me to ask some genuine questions, not a rhetorical device of using a question to make a point that I believe:
    At one point does justified frustration with “Reagan Democrats” (who have voted against their class interests and for the party of the rich for over two decades now) and justified disdain for racists and privilege suckers become disdain for people just because they are white working class? Progressives are supposed to give a shit about the working and middle classes, period, and not want to see them screwed. Is the current environment sending a message to jittery white working/middle class voters that their “white” is a negative than the class positives? (The message doesn’t have to be meant and sent to be received, naturally. But one can avoid sending a message that is likely to be misinterpreted.)
    I ask. I’m up here in Canada and so just don’t damned well know. Seeking feedback.

23. John Emerson says:

I think that that whole game has been played. As someone said recently, a lot of the Reagan Democrats are Republicans now. We just need to go from there.
    I think that the class analyses of American politics tend to be multiply confused. For example, it’s assumed that the Religious Right is poor country folk, when a lot of them are very prosperous.

24. DocAmazing says:

seeker6079–
    Don’t fall into the goofball trap of actually buying the Hillary camp’s apparent concern for the white working class. Back when Hillary was in a position to do a lot for them, she decided to go the NAFTA route. She’s been a decent senator only relative to her colleagues, many of whom can charitably be described as “wannabe aristocrats”.
    White privilege in the US may not seem any too real to poor white people, but they, too, realize that they are less likely to be arrested or laid off than their black counterparts of comparable wealth. Obama’s great sin (in Ferraro’s Howard Beach eyes) has been to speak openly of that, and to consort with others who do.
    There is an excellent article by Mark Ames (if I recall correctly), entitled “Spite! It Wins Votes!” that sums up very neatly the dynamic that causes poor white people, who understand all too well that neither major party gives two shits about them, to vote against their own class interests–as long as someone else is suffering more. Canada is not without its spiteful element–you elected Harper, after all–but your media isn’t as monopolized, your culture isn’t as atomized, and your politicians aren’t as venal as ours. Twenty years of “free-market” conditions, and you’ll have the answers to your questions before your eyes.

25. DocAmazing says:

The article in question:
    To the extent that national character and national differences exist, it’s instructive that Canadians pride themselves in a military that specializes in peacekeeping and a we’re-all-in-this-together national health system, while Americans pride them/ourselves in a miltary that can kick anybody’s ass, maaan, and an every-man-for-himself ethos called “rugged individualism”.
    (Not that I won’t assert the manifest superiority of Californians, mind you.)

26. DocAmazing says:

Seeker6079–
    Another illuminating article:
    It’s not the current environment that is sending messages to jittery white voters: it’s the McCain and Clinton campaigns. It’s deliberate. It’s advertising, not the zeitgeist.

27. StJoe says:

When Ferraro complains that every time she opens her mouth she is called racist, well, yeah, that is evidence of racism. How? Because that very complaint shows she believes that blacks are getting too many privileges in society, for instance, the privilege not to be treated as second-class voters whose political importance is subordinate to white Reagan Democrats. She cannot believe that the criticism levelled at her idiotic remarks are motivated by anything other than black privilege. In that sense, Ferraro is as post-racial as anyone popping up on cable news these days, i.e. she espouses a viewpoint that is deliberately blind to white privilege. How else can you believe that Obama’s race somehow gives him an unfair advantage in American politics?

28. aimai says:

Thanks for that link to the spite voter essay, doc amazing, its a great piece and really shaped my understanding of the last few elections. I will also say that the two books (which ok, are on my desk right now so they are also on my mind) that are indespensible for remembering just why race and racism matters to the constitution of the hypothetically important white working class or white middle class voter are What is the matter with Kansas and Nixonland. I lived through all that stuff (albeit as a child) and I still don’t and didn’t grasp the intertwined nature of “ohmygod blacks can vote and they might vote for equal rights which would by definition mean that white people will suffer which makes all our prospective suffering a legitimation of our racist attempts to keep black people from voting or livign near us or making laws with us.” Again, just go read the history of civil rights/open housing/desegregation of the school system from the sixties on. Its one long tale of ferraro’esque white people wailing that someone black got all up in their grill and demanded equal rights but they knew for a fact that equal rights was just a cover for “take whitey’s stuff” and all their friends and neighbors agreed. Its where democrats become republicans because *republicans don’t allow messy democracy to interfere with property rights*. They didn’t leave us because their feelings got hurt (so never using the race word again will bring them back) they left us because they were convinced that only by voting for repression could they ensure that the black menace was kept from their door.
    aimai